KT-LCD1 vs KT-LCD3

soeno

1 mW
Hi!
Complete newbie here, so please bear with me...

I converted my MTB over to a hub RWD ebike back in January with the 500 watt kit from Cyclotricity.
It's great and everything works very nicely... but...

I recently wanted to change from the KT-LCD1 to the KT-LCD3, so that I could get cruise control to save my aching thumb. After copying the parameters from one lcd to the other, everything works, motor drives at 400 watt, battery shows 42v etc.

However, I've noticed that I'm not getting as much torque as when I'm using the KT-LCD1. Now, I've researched everything I can, but still can't find an explanation. Perhaps the hint here is that the controller is only giving 400 watt out, rather than 500 watt - I'm speculating here that the KT-LCD1 is giving a full 500 watt. I've tried various things, increasing/decreasing the max current setting, increasing the voltage cut off point, but nada, drive only runs at 400 watt.

Would love to hear your thoughts,
Soen

I don't get it at all. You have anaching thumb, so you want cruise control. What's wrong with the PAS that you already have. Isn't that the same as cruise control only better?

Well, PAS requires me to pedal. So I want to be ultra lazy and not pedal, but not have to keep my thumb on the throttle as well.

-Soen

I just wanted to add that my controller is a Kunteng KT36ZWSRM-GP05, rated at 11A with a maximum current of 22 ± 1A.

-Soen

I have LCD1 (I think) on one one bike and LCD3 on the others. First one doesn't show watts. Second one shows watts, but it bounces around if you're looking for max. Average watts are easier to assess. So I would think you're reading around 400W on acceleration and you feel that it's slower than with the LCD1.

It also seems that you set the C5 parameter to 10 for max current.

Maybe it's subjective. When using the accelerometer in your butt, the mind plays tricks. I would suggest a wattmeter to compare peak amps and running amps.

My KT36/48/ZWSRDSLS02 will put about 400-440W into a Q100H on 36V, so I don't think there's much more anyway. It's a 10A controller. On 4V8V and 52V, same controller, the LCD3 will indicate 700W and 900W.

Thanks for the reply; that sounds about right to me. A 36v 10A controller will top out around 420 watt (10*42v), so in theory my 11A controller should do 440 watt, possibly more with the peak rated at 22A. You're right to think it might be subjective, I confirmed it by taking both controllers out on a test ride and switched between them and there's a definite dip in performance on the LCD3.

As the LCD1 has no settings for drive phase, but the LCD3 does, I'm actually just assuming that the LCD3 isn't designed to be coupled with square wave controllers, and should be used with a sine wave controller - which will be my next upgrade.

Can anyone can recommend a good sine controller for a 500watt/36v motor that's compatible with the Kunteng displays?

-Soen

Check on the throttle voltage as I read somewhere that some controllers are set to read 5v throttle input as max others 4.2v if your throttle max's out at 4.2v the controller might be reading it as part throttle.

soeno said:
Thanks for the reply; that sounds about right to me. A 36v 10A controller will top out around 420 watt (10*42v), so in theory my 11A controller should do 440 watt, possibly more with the peak rated at 22A. You're right to think it might be subjective, I confirmed it by taking both controllers out on a test ride and switched between them and there's a definite dip in performance on the LCD3.

As the LCD1 has no settings for drive phase, but the LCD3 does, I'm actually just assuming that the LCD3 isn't designed to be coupled with square wave controllers, and should be used with a sine wave controller - which will be my next upgrade.

Can anyone can recommend a good sine controller for a 500watt/36v motor that's compatible with the Kunteng displays?

-Soen
If your controller is 22A, that'svwhat you get. 22A x 42v = 900w approx.

You didn't change the controller, so maximum power should be the same. The LCD3 is compatible with all KT controllers. If there's a difference in power, you need to go through all the settings, in particular P1 and C5. Also, it might be a good idea to check the speed limits.

Hi, I have a small bit to add.The cyclotricity kit derestriction happens through P6 parameter.(Thats how i derestricted after signing a statement).However, i am not sure, if other LCDs can hold the P6 parameter.They use KT LCD 1- 2.5 but I wonder if even any LCD 1 can handle P6, as i can not find it being mentioned on the net.Could it be, that cyclotricity has their own firmware for LCD 1? I have same experience as described here, after I copied data to LED 890.IT looks like only first five P values had been copied over.

Hi, has anyone found out anything more about this? I recently upgraded my 1000W bike from LCD1 to LCD3 and my bike is now limited to about 350-400W. All the parameters seem correct, except there is no way to enter P6.

I have seen others with the same bike and LCD so there must be a way to get this to work. Any ideas?

I am looking for the same information. I fitted a conversion kit from Cyclotricity. A 250w/1000w motor and controller. This came with a KT-LCD1, which the first one had to be replaced by them as param P6 did not appear to allow derestriction. The replacement came and immediately worked. I can only think that it must have had a different firmware, as everything else worked fine.
Cyclotricity's support was excellent, and they sent the replacement out next day delivery.
I have just sent them a query with regard to upgrading to my KT-LCD3. Hopefully they will get back to me after the weekend.

My motor is marked with JDLAX1707RD0016 28" -48V"250W Restricted". Does anyone have the tech spec on this motor?

soeno said:

-Soen
Hi, the power of the controller is (36V*10A)/2=180W, not 420Watt, you can choose Bafang BPM 36V500W motor compatible with the KT display

The KT-LCD 1 does have a cruise function !!

After the cruise function is turned on, the trip riding speed is greater than 7 km/ h, hold
long "down button" and enter cruise, the CRUISE lit. Brake or hold any button to cancel.

Hi! Just to give you a quick update with this, a couple of weeks ago I replaced Cyclotricity's controller with another KT controller, and I've now got full power control using the KT-LCD3, perhaps unsurprisingly. My guess is Cyclotricity are running custom firmware on their controllers and displays that require the P6 parameter to unlock anything above 400 watt peak... So... Long and short of it is I won't be buying anything from Cyclotricity in the future.

soeno said:
Hi! Just to give you a quick update with this, a couple of weeks ago I replaced Cyclotricity's controller with another KT controller, and I've now got full power control using the KT-LCD3, perhaps unsurprisingly. My guess is Cyclotricity are running custom firmware on their controllers and displays that require the P6 parameter to unlock anything above 400 watt peak... So... Long and short of it is I won't be buying anything from Cyclotricity in the future.

Which KT controller did you use?

It has the catchy model number of KT36/48ZWSRL. It's a dual 36/48v controller (so I can future proof for a further motor/battery upgrade), but the connectors weren't the weather proof (higo?) connectors that cyclotricity tend to use, so I've done a fair bit of soldering to install it, but it works, and gives me a better power output than my existing one... But unfortunately it doesn't look the controller supports regen (even though the seller said it did).

Also, there's some confusion as to whether the ZWS is sine or square wave. Personally, I think it's square wave (which again, is not what I was sold) - Apparently, sine wave controllers have "SVP" in the model number, but again I can't find any official confirmation for that. Happy to advise with wiring/colour codes if you're thinking about replacing your controller too.

I have recently installed the KT LCD8H. The display brightness is set at max, It is not bright enough for a sunny day for viewing. Does anyone else have this issue or did I get a defective unit? All else works fine.

Purchased @ AliExpress was advertised with USB but did not receive the unit with USB. Heads-up. https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Colourful-electric-bike-speed-meter-e-bike-LCD-display-KT-LCD8H-KT-LCD8-Speed-limit-anti/32962965417.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.11ef4c4dri04bq

Just found this in relation to replacing a non Cyclotricity controller. I am in the same situation where I am now using a egg rider display, but am stuck in restricted mode.

I note you mentioned that you can give guidance on the wiring.

Any kelp would be appreciated.

Same issue here. I bought a cyclotricity kit and then later bought eggRider. EggRider is unable to send (does not have) the P6 derestrict option. So I'm on the hunt for either a 30/40amp 52v Kunteng controller with julet connectors OR to find out if the controller I have can be flashed with FW back to a stock Kunteng unit to put it in?? If I have to buy another controller if at all possible I'd like to keep the same julet connectors. Photo attached for your information.

Many thanks
https://drive.google.com/open?id=18EcGryGhKZRhBPUczffF5MDT2u6Q87GP
https://drive.google.com/file/d/18a73HYjSTyemYA2JULstor1JS9Lc_MJI/view?usp=sharing

Odessadream said:
The KT-LCD 1 does have a cruise function !!

After the cruise function is turned on, the trip riding speed is greater than 7 km/ h, hold
long "down button" and enter cruise, the CRUISE lit. Brake or hold any button to cancel.

I noticed that with lcd-5 (same as lcd-3 except temp sensor) the cruise mode works only when above 30 km/h~ is it true also for lcd1, or it's just a bug/setting issue?

SnoozeDoggyDog said:
Same issue here. I bought a cyclotricity kit and then later bought eggRider. EggRider is unable to send (does not have) the P6 derestrict option. So I'm on the hunt for either a 30/40amp 52v Kunteng controller with julet connectors OR to find out if the controller I have can be flashed with FW back to a stock Kunteng unit to put it in?? If I have to buy another controller if at all possible I'd like to keep the same julet connectors. Photo attached for your information.

Many thanks
https://drive.google.com/open?id=18EcGryGhKZRhBPUczffF5MDT2u6Q87GP
https://drive.google.com/file/d/18a73HYjSTyemYA2JULstor1JS9Lc_MJI/view?usp=sharing

Sorry this post is kind of late, but I just happened to notice some controllers have a jumper that will restrict speed. Is/was the motor cutting out at a certain speed? I'm wondering if they set the jumper in that mass of waterproof connectors. That's why I just do my own connectors.

Anyway I came here because I want a KT display with USB. What is the best LCD with a USB option? I don't really want to "downgrade" to a KT-LCD1. Or, I could install my own USB somehow but I'm running 48v and it seems like i'd have to do multiple step-downs. Is there 5v somehow going to or from these LCD's?

Aquakitty said:
Anyway I came here because I want a KT display with USB. What is the best LCD with a USB option? I don't really want to "downgrade" to a KT-LCD1. Or, I could install my own USB somehow but I'm running 48v and it seems like i'd have to do multiple step-downs. Is there 5v somehow going to or from these LCD's?

Would this work?
https://nl.aliexpress.com/item/32963829407.html?spm=a2g0o.productlist.0.0.11b813554iAYVl&algo_pvid=a4a39b40-6771-47cf-9c24-b852330ed918&algo_expid=a4a39b40-6771-47cf-9c24-b852330ed918-4&btsid=45135fc4-89a0-4a5e-93b4-9b94b34bc763&ws_ab_test=searchweb0_0,searchweb201602_,searchweb201603_52

Back