Public charging stations for e-bikes. Is there a standard?

Alizeti

1 mW
hi Everyone,

I've been curious about public charging stations for e-bikes in the UK. I'm wondering if there has been some sort of standard system adopted for this? In Canada we don't yet seem to have a network specifically for e-bikes so I'm wondering if Europe is ahead of the game with this?

Thanks

i wondered this also , i looked online to see if my city had facility to charge ebike but nothing , it might be good if in city centre was some sort of locker cabinet i could put battery i recharge for trip home maybe like the luggage locker

The USA definitely doesn't have anything like this--if you don't have a standard wall-AC-outlet charger that you can just plug into outlets at your destinations, then the best I can recommend is to make and carry with you a J1772 adapter to whatever charger input you have. Then you can use car-recharging stations that use that standard.

The J1772 itself is expensive, but there is a thread on ES about 3d-printing your own, if you look around for it.

There are also threads for "guerilla charging", and some threads about gathering location info for regular wall plug outlets you can use to charge an ebike with.

You'll have to use J1772 car charger here in Canada, as "PAB"s as they are called here, aren't seen as real modes of transportation by the powers that be.

I'd love to see some kind of pay per use box produced that shopowners and the like could just plug into a dedicated 15 amp circuit, and provide electricity for charging ebikes at a rate that gives the property owner incentive to provide it. Even if the rate is considerably higher than market electricity prices, like 50 cents/kwh, I'd be happy to pay it if it can extend my range on the occasion that I need that.

Something like this wouldn't need to be very complicated, maybe an app based payment system, small LCD display and a contactor. The cost would need to be kept down so to minimize the payback time for the purchaser.

dustNbone said:
I'd love to see some kind of pay per use box produced that shopowners and the like could just plug into a dedicated 15 amp circuit, and provide electricity for charging ebikes at a rate that gives the property owner incentive to provide it. Even if the rate is considerably higher than market electricity prices, like 50 cents/kwh, I'd be happy to pay it if it can extend my range on the occasion that I need that.

Something like this wouldn't need to be very complicated, maybe an app based payment system, small LCD display and a contactor. The cost would need to be kept down so to minimize the payback time for the purchaser.
At a few cents per kwh, I would think having a customer in a shop/store/restaurant/etc. would be plenty of incentive to provide charging.

Electric vehicles should be charged at home, while you're sleeping (off solar is how mine gets electrons). This negates carrying the around chargers with you and also saves you an hour or two of standing around waiting to finish. Time is money, so if this is your daily commute, you may want to build or acquire a bigger pack (thats what I did).

Lastly there are many "open" outlets in nearly every mall (which are all outdoors) here in SoCal. If Im taking a really long trip I simply plan a stop to the nearest mall. Why would it have to be a bike specific ac outlet? Just as there are no phone specific 120VAC plugs for cell phones, everyone uses them accordingly.

I think the big reason why no one is coming up with a solution for e-bikes is because there is no standards in place yet. That would mean the manufacturer of said device would have to provide connectors for all the different brands out there. This is not really feasible...

Within a country, at least, there is already a plug standard: the AC outlet type used there. All of the ebike chargers used there will have that same plug at their AC cord end. (or else the owner will already have an adapter).

amberwolf said:
Within a country, at least, there is already a plug standard: the AC outlet type used there. All of the ebike chargers used there will have that same plug at their AC cord end. (or else the owner will already have an adapter).

Right, an ebike has has no special current needs beyond a typical household appliance. No need to reinvent the wheel.

I find my meanwells pull roughly 4A from the wall, setting the two in series meanwells to 40-60V getting 16A into the pack, which means I could most likely get away with using two charging setups to charge two packs, from 20V on up to 84V or more. Will be great for long distance traveling. Pop machine outlet, coffee shop patio outlet, gas station outlet, grocery store outside outlet, heck I've even used train station outlets that are on the platform. All 110V in North America.

markz said:
I find my meanwells pull roughly 4A from the wall, setting the two in series meanwells to 40-60V getting 16A into the pack, which means I could most likely get away with using two charging setups to charge two packs, from 20V on up to 84V or more. Will be great for long distance traveling. Pop machine outlet, coffee shop patio outlet, gas station outlet, grocery store outside outlet, heck I've even used train station outlets that are on the platform. All 110V in North America.

What is special about "meanwell" chargers that allows them to be used in series?

Alizeti said:
hi Everyone,

I've been curious about public charging stations for e-bikes in the UK. I'm wondering if there has been some sort of standard system adopted for this? In Canada we don't yet seem to have a network specifically for e-bikes so I'm wondering if Europe is ahead of the game with this?

Thanks

There is an "idea":

http://www.energybus.org/

Most people just remove the battery on their ebike/Pedelec and use their own charger

Back