E-Brake connections

idan

100 µW
Hey everybody,
I replaced my controller and couldn't find the right way the connect the electronic brakes to it.

My controller have one connector named as "Brake under low voltage" (with 2 wires), and another connector "Brake under High voltage" (with one negative wire).
What i did so far is connecting the levers wires to the low voltage connector and it works good - cutoff my motor while using the brakes.
I want to add an "Active" electronic brake which will actually brake and not just cut-off the motor power.

image description of my current installation attached.

it worked with my old controller. How can i do it again?

Thanks a lot in advance, and sorry for my pure English :)

Depends on how your new controller is designed and programmed. Every model by every brand can be different from every other, and there are thousands (at least).

You'll need to check with the manufacturer to see about it's design and programming. If it is not already programmed to use regen or EABS when the ebrake is engaged, then you'd either have to have them do it, or get the software from them along with the cable to connect to your computer, and instructions on how to do it.

There are a few controller programming softwares and instructions already here on ES, but they're not in one place so you'd need to look around for them. A search for threads with with Program* in the title would find at least some of them.

As for the wiring, you'd need to verify with the manufacturer or seller before trying it (unless you want to risk damage) but the "high level" braking usually means to connect the single wire to 12V or higher, possibly up to battery voltage. If this is not hte case with yours then doing so may damage or destroy the controller, so don't do this unless you're sure.

If you want to try it, then you'd connect one wire of hte lever to 12v from teh controller (you'll need to measure the other wires to see if it has that available outside the box already; if not you might have to add a wire for it). Then the other wire from the lever goes ot the high-input single wire.

If it doesn't do anything that way, then you can disconnect hte 12v from the brake lever wire, then connect the brake lever wire to battery positive instead, and see if that works. (this is riskier than the 12v connection as it has the chance to destroy teh controller if it's not made to do this).

Whether this causes anything other than motor cutoff like the other braking option depends on the controller design and programming, so again you'd need to check with the manufacturer/seller to find that out, or experiment.

amberwolf said:
Depends on how your new controller is designed and programmed. Every model by every brand can be different from every other, and there are thousands (at least).

You'll need to check with the manufacturer to see about it's design and programming. If it is not already programmed to use regen or EABS when the ebrake is engaged, then you'd either have to have them do it, or get the software from them along with the cable to connect to your computer, and instructions on how to do it.

There are a few controller programming softwares and instructions already here on ES, but they're not in one place so you'd need to look around for them. A search for threads with with Program* in the title would find at least some of them.

As for the wiring, you'd need to verify with the manufacturer or seller before trying it (unless you want to risk damage) but the "high level" braking usually means to connect the single wire to 12V or higher, possibly up to battery voltage. If this is not hte case with yours then doing so may damage or destroy the controller, so don't do this unless you're sure.

If you want to try it, then you'd connect one wire of hte lever to 12v from teh controller (you'll need to measure the other wires to see if it has that available outside the box already; if not you might have to add a wire for it). Then the other wire from the lever goes ot the high-input single wire.

If it doesn't do anything that way, then you can disconnect hte 12v from the brake lever wire, then connect the brake lever wire to battery positive instead, and see if that works. (this is riskier than the 12v connection as it has the chance to destroy teh controller if it's not made to do this).

Whether this causes anything other than motor cutoff like the other braking option depends on the controller design and programming, so again you'd need to check with the manufacturer/seller to find that out, or experiment.

Thanks for your detailed reply.
The Chinese guy who sold me this controller didn't answer my question so that's why i'm here :)

i tried to search here for some answers as well but didn't find anything new
I do understand that each controller have his own software but i'll still be happy to get some ideas from your experience here as you just gave me.

If someone here had some experience with this particular controller and want to share the info about how he use it, it will be great!
This is the controller that i have Link

Connect the wires, in series, from the senor or brake handle to the Low Voltage wires. The system works by interrupting the circuit.

motomech said:
Connect the wires, in series, from the senor or brake handle to the Low Voltage wires. The system works by interrupting the circuit.
According to the first post, he did that and it only works to disable the motor, but he wants regen or EABS.

He might get taht by using the brake high version, if the controller is setup to do that (one of WesNewell's does different things depending on which input he uses).

Otherwise, programming it (if possible) would be the next best option. Short of that, the only other way I know of is opening up the controller and experimenting with the unused pads on the board, connecting them to ground one at a time then retesting the system to see if any enable regen or EABS--but there's always the risk of doing something unintended in there, when disassembling things. :/

Hi again,
I tried to connect one lever wire to battery positive, and the other lever wire to the High voltage connector,
it works just like before, normal cutoff when using the brake,
any suggestions for something that i maybe did wrong?

this is the seller response to my question:
"
Hi,
low voltage brake: two cable connect together is brake.
high voltage brake : connect with power+ is brake.
"

Thanks

idan said:
I tried to connect one lever wire to battery positive, and the other lever wire to the High voltage connector,
it works just like before, normal cutoff when using the brake,
any suggestions for something that i maybe did wrong?
You did nothing wrong.

It just means your controller doesn't have regen or EABS.

Your controller is only capable of turning off the motor when ebrake is engaged.

You'll have to find a way to program it (if it can be--many can't). If you don't mind risking bricking (destroying) the controller you can look up the various controller-programming threads on ES and try the methods and software listed in them, if your vendor/seller can't help you.

Or you'll have to open it up and see if any of the pads on there are like the pads on other controllers people have posted about, to enable regen. It's also possible to damage or destroy a controller by opening it up, and especially by soldering to it (which you'd have to do in this case), so keep that in mind before you try.

Alternately you can buy a new controller that specifically is sold to do regen or EABS (depends on which one you want; they're different, and there's a number of threads you can search for that discuss the differences).

Back