Dumbish Question

I picked up an old Dahon Speeed8 with a motor and dead SLA 3x12v pack (oy)
the motor (18lb with wheel) has a 3 contact plug sort of like a 3 wire flat SAE style used on car trailers
Appears to lack Hall sensor wires in harness, so I am assuming it is a sensor less hub motor
probably direct drive
Throttle was wrecked but I have got it back together and to turn with power only ~5 degrees with my 36 v pack
and it rotates smoothly by hand

Anyone with a notion of what this is, and is it sensorless, as I suspect it is?
and ways to test it . I prolly need another controller and throttle to check it out, band that is do able
It is civilized as a pedaled foldy, with another front wheel, but I would like to put a motor in it.
If this one works it would be interesting, but one of less weight and something that would not overpower the frame
Thanks
IMG_3656.JPG

Looks like an Atoma motor from a Wilderness Energy kit. Direct drive sensorless motor intended for 36v but will handle much more.

Does look like the one they have in some pictures, but no name cast in it.
Has the Bikeit bag seen in many of the pictures. and the heavy aluminum paint they use
and hub cable coming out inboard of the frame.
I found a trouble shooting page at
https://store.hightekbikes.com/index.php?main_page=page&id=7&chapter=25
Aotema Motor Kit Testing Procedure.
The controller does not appear the same as they show in what pics I have found , but throttle does.
thanks a lot
? anyone see an Aotema with no name cast in the cover?

Not a dumb question at all. So many motor factories in china, and decades they have run there by now.

Definitely similar to the Aotema brushless motor, same shitty connector. Its a sensorless motor similar to the sensored Crystalyte 400 series type.

Could be actually made by any of thousands of china motor factories, but its definitely "Aotema type".

Run it on any sensorless 20-30 amps controller. Should work fine. I'd cut off the connector, and replace with andersons, or 4 mm bullets.

Since its off a folder, it may have a different axle length, than the standard 100mm on regular, modern bikes.

Back