YesCom 48v noisy hub

OCMike

100 W
Hi all :)

Thank you for all the advice and help you've all provided. I have a question .. I'm hoping somebody here will be familiar with this issue.

I have a YesComUSA 1000 watt rear install. The hub is increasingly noisy. I though a few spokes might be loose so I maintenanced them. But the noise is still there. Please see video.

https://youtu.be/s7J3Hg_BXEc

Any idea what is going on? It makes me very leary to even ride the bike. But the bike is totally smooth and works GREAT ... all except the noise that make me feel uneasy.

THANKS!

I have the same motor and agree the sound is atypical. Sounds like something is loose or rubbing inside the hub.

Worst case of spoke noise I ever heard. the motor is completely normal.

Uh,, put diplomatically as possible, you have a bit to learn about wheel maintenance.

Its possible though, that damage from running loose has damaged the spokes or the rim to the point where the fix is new wheel build. All that noise might be the crack in the rim or something like that. A new kit typically will stretch out the spokes some as the first 100 miles go by, then its time to tighten up, and get it true.

Personally, I like the wheel to talk a little bit, it means I did not overtighten the spokes enough to start breaking them, or ripping them out of the rim. But yours sound still too loose, or something is cracked in the rim.

Start by tightening all the spokes about the same, by sound. Not a dull thud, nor a high c ping. Just a middle note. If the wheel is badly crooked at that point, really bad, your rim is toast. its bent to shit. If its within a quarter inch of straight, that you can work out, but not by over loosening any spokes. To get it out, you might have to loosen one side, but tightening the other spoke brings that spoke tight again. Takes time, practice, and above all, never turn a nipple more than a half a turn at a time.

Back