#1 BEST Weatherproof Coating to Spray on Coils of Hub Motor

anonyxuser

100 µW
What seems to be the best spray-on coating to spray on the coils inside a hub motor to make it weatherproof or water-resistant?

Also is there another type of spray that can lubricate everything inside the motor to ensure a friction-less operation, that would also be safe to use with the weatherproofing one?

And what would be the order to use them in?

THANKS SO MUCH! :)

Well, you don't want to lubricate *everything*. You only want to lubricate the bearings, and only if they don't have any lubrication on them. Normally they come prelubricated.

Unless you have a geared hubmotor, then lubricating anything else is pointless, as there's no surfaces that move against each other.

If you have a geared hubmotor, you don't want a spray-on lubricant either, you want a grease that stays stuck to the gears, and only the gears, and there's a number of threads you can search for that discuss that, on
gear* greas*
by title and display by topic

Alternately you can just fill the hub with a lubricant like ATF, but it'll leak (the hubs cant' be perfectly sealed). See the Definitive Testing of Hubmotor Heating and Cooling thread for lots of info on that. That'll lubricate *and* seal against moisture.

As for the spray to seal against moisture, the coils don't need it. The steel stator laminations and the magnets/rotor steel might, if they're not already coated.

There's a few people have used. If you look at Kingfish's DIY Rust Repair and Restoration thread, it has some info. DoctorBass has posts about it, if you look for seal* or spray* in his posts. There's also some of the posts in that Definitive Testing thread that talk about it. Others have too but I don't recall exactly where/who.

Hey AMBERWOLF,

Thanks so much for your time and help, and for sharing your knowledge and experience. I really appreciate it!

Although I hear what you say, I kind of need the weatherproofing because I have several holes in both my stators.

Could you advise a solution I can possibly spray in the holes to waterproof it a bit?

THANKS AGAIN SO MUCH AMBERWOLF! :)

anonyxuser said:
Although I hear what you say, I kind of need the weatherproofing because I have several holes in both my stators.
Most stators have several holes in their support frame; it's how most of them are made. Very few are solid supports. Since the stators are inside the motor casings, the holes don't make any difference to weatherproofing.

Could you advise a solution I can possibly spray in the holes to waterproof it a bit?
I did, but you'll have to look where I advised to find the names.

However, it won't be something you can spray in the stator holes to do, becuase it will just come out the other side and spray on whatever is behind the stator, and not waterproof anything.

I really would recommend reading the existing posts/threads about this, because they will explain what you need to do, instead of you doing things that won't help do what you want.

Okay, thanks so much already for everything.

Hey would this stuff be okay?
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00D3ZKVAS/ref=ox_sc_act_image_1?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1

Back