Brake Pressure Switch Options

rharrison57

1 µW
Hi all, I've lurked here for a while, and this is my first post. I have a custom e-bike with Hope Tech 3 V4 hydraulic disk brakes. I want to install a brake light switch. I've investigated a number of options (magnetic switches, magura in-line switches, lever activated push-button switches, and banjo bolt pressure switches) but haven't found the ideal solution. I'd rather not add anything to the brake lever/reservoir because I am going for a clean, uncluttered look for my lighting system and don't want additional wires at the handlebars. I am investigating the Motogadget mini m-switches, m.unit, m.button parts for my lighting controls and the idea with the Motogadget gear is to route cables inside the handlebars which helps achieve the clean, uncluttered look I want.

So far the best option seems to be a banjo bolt pressure switch which keeps much of the wiring to a minimum near the brake levers and handlebars. The issue is that my Hope brakes have an M6 banjo bolt and all the banjo bolt pressure switches I've found online use M10 bolts so won't fit my brakes. I contacted Hope and they agreed, saying "We did look into this a couple of years ago and while we found that pressure switches were available we could not find one with an M6 fitting (if you find one could you let us know please?)"

Accordingly, my first question to this expert group is, "have any of you seen or fabricated banjo brake pressure switches with M6 banjo bolts"? My second question is, "do any of you have alternative suggestions based on my criteria"?

Thanks in advance!

Thanks, I have decided to give the TripWire brake switch a try. Once I know whether it works for me, I'll post an update here. One thing I've learned is that there are quite a few options for mechanical brake switches for hydraulic brakes on e-bikes, none of them perfect. Magura a nice in-line pressure-activated solution for some brake systems, but they won't work with my Hope brakes so I'll be trying the TripWire reed switch that is lever-activated.

When I added an Ebrake, so I just epoxied a reed switch on top of the lever bracket and stuck a sm. magnet on the lever w/ sticky tape. Been trouble free for a couple of years.
100_0087.JPG
The switch and magnet came from a link that Teklektik provided. They were a pair of genaric brackets being closed out on Ebay for $5 a pr. Unfortunately, they are sold out.

Back