Multiple BBS02 (a) controller failure due to wet/cold weather?

staldor

10 mW
Hi

I have now had three BBS02 A controllers (first version) that have gone bad. They all have started to give med 30H error message. (less than a 2 years period.)

I suspect that this is due to wet and cold weather, since the failure have always been occurred during such weather periods. I'm almost never above level 5 so I don't think its due to overdriving the controller. But I have not been able to diagnosis the exact problem.

My question is, could the Luna controller for BBS02A, with upgraded mosfet, be a more robust solution to my problem?
https://lunacycle.com/bafang-bbs02-750w-48v-upgraded-controller-3077/

Or should I just buy the new BBS02B version of the motor, given better design (does it have better waterproofing)?

If anyone have any tips and tricks for waterproofing the old BBS02 controller/motor, please let me know.

Thanks in advance for any help!

The BBS02B controller can not be installed on the BBS02A. They changed both the BBS02 shell and the controller shell.

However, the BBS02B controller is fitted with a gasket so the new BBS02B should be a good solution for wet weather.

Depending on your use, there is an on going issue with the controllers manufactured in 2017.

http://www.endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=91016&sid=8769db15001bc19742dd416a57713146

I toasted 2 BBS02(B) controllers last winter, both while riding in powder snow about the depth of the motor. Upon inspection of the dead controllers it looked like water ingress under the potting. Like the cold temperature (10 or 15 below freezing) caused the potting to harden and come away from the housing, and corrosive salty road water made it's way onto the board underneath.

I replaced with a 25A Grinfineon, mounted higher up behind the seat, and no problems since. It was a shame to have to do because I really like the BBS02 controller, it's got some great features and being integrated with the motor is really tidy. But a dead bike in really crappy weather isn't something I want to repeat. Plus if this controller dies it's a simple matter of plugging in basically any controller I have lying around to replace it instead of obtaining another Bafang one.

Hi and thanks for the replies!

Ok, so the BBS02B still has problems (I know this does not fit the bbs02A motor). Do you think it would be possible to do some waterproofing with some kind of sealants?

I had not thought about the possibilities to use a third party controller. I guess you need to use some special kinds that have the correct plugs and properties? How do you enclose the motor when using a third party controller? Any pictures? :)

Is this the one you have used?
http://www.ebikes.ca/shop/electric-bicycle-parts/controllers/c4825-gr.html

I just found out that the first controller that went bad, suddenly works again. I guess it has dried out or something?

Anyway, i'm going fit it back on the bike. However, this time i will put silicon sealant around the controller to try to avoid water to get in.

Let me know if anyone have any experience with this.

Good point. I found the drain holes so I have put some silicone sealant here as well.

I guess sealing the controller 100% should work in theory. Added a picture. Does not show the details that well, but the red highlighted areas are the places I have focused on when sealing the unit .

sealing job.jpg

Sealing is an easy job. JB weld Black RTV, latest crank seals form a gasket is another optio;. Make sure to pay attention to the wireing hole. The rubber gasket sucks usually. Get the upgraded FET version. But most fry controllers by lugging and not consistently down shifting and using gears efficiently. I have 2 2014 BBS01 that have gotten wet often, but are well sealed.

if you seal those holes your controller case will become an aquariam. Keep the drain holes.

I can't address what might happen with the drain holes sealed along with the rest of the unit, but the new ones (BBS02B) seem to be fully sealed with the gasket and no drain holes. I normally don't ride in the rain and have not experienced any problems even when caught out in the rain with either the A or B versions.

My reason for mentioning the drain holes was that some folks mount the unit such that the drain holes end up on the top instead of the bottom. I've seen this done on the boom of a recumbent and on a regular bike with a large opening between the down tube and the seat tube.

mr.electric said:
if you seal those holes your controller case will become an aquariam. Keep the drain holes.

Nah, If water can't get in there nothing to drain or fill. And as mentioned BBS0xB has none.

Yeah, my plan was to seal of every possible hole so that water never will get into the motor or controller. So I have also sealed of the drain holes.

An added challenge here in Norway/Oslo is salt water. The roads are saltet to avoid ice in wintertime. Though some of these controllers are made to tolerate water inside the controller, I suspect that they do not handle salt water that well.

staldor said:
Yeah, my plan was to seal of every possible hole so that water never will get into the motor or controller. So I have also sealed of the drain holes.

An added challenge here in Norway/Oslo is salt water. The roads are saltet to avoid ice in wintertime. Though some of these controllers are made to tolerate water inside the controller, I suspect that they do not handle salt water that well.

Rod salt here too. The controller is potted but water screws up the stator section!

Ok, so you have sealed the stator part of the motor as well?

I have yet not had any problems in the stator part. I guess the seam have been tight enough?

The stator section seems pretty well protected, after toasting my second controller I pulled that side of the motor apart expecting yucky carnage but it was pretty spotless in there.

Back