Help Identifying Controller Wiring

luckyozone7

10 µW
Hello Forum, newby here so just learning how to use forum. I searched google and this forum and couldn't come up with anything that matched to what I have.
I pulled out an old 48v 1000w controller I bought back in 2010 from ebay ebike conversion kit and can not figure out the wiring. Does the following picture remind any older ebike builders what the connectors are for?

power 2pin molex red/black
Phase Yellow/Green/Blue
Hal 5pin molex red/black/yellow/green/blue
? 3pin molex red/green/black (i think this is throttle= red/black power green signal)
? 2pin molex blue/black
? 2x 3pin jst red/green/black (i think ebrake engine cutoff but there is 3 wires)
? 2pin jst red/black (i think on/off)
I had a thumb throttle with on/off and full/half/empty lights but I do not see another wire for voltage sense for the lights.
Take a look at the pics below and if you think you know please let me know, I want to mod it that way i will have a spare.

Attachments

• 20180221_173511.jpg
    20180221_173511.jpg
    155.7 KB · Views: 1,532
  • 20180221_181427.jpg
    20180221_181427.jpg
    159 KB · Views: 1,532
Your best bet is to open the controller and note down the letters or numbers next to the pads each wire is soldered to.

THen list those here, by connector, and we can make a better guess what each one is for, since there's a number of abbreviations that tend to be common between controllers, or at least similar.

Some of these threads list pads and functions for some controllers (some info is speculative).
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/search.php?keywords=controller*&terms=all&author=amberwolf&sc=1&sf=titleonly&sr=topics&sk=t&sd=d&st=0&ch=300&t=0&submit=Search

What he said. You might find one of the three wire plugs is brakes. one common hot, two separate returns from the handles. The other might be a three speed switch.

The two wire might be on off, or it might be a high power, low power jumper. a jumper usually has the same color both wires. So on off is plausible.

Thanks, gonna do some research into the letters on the pads. I took the controller apart and am searching the forum. I traced all the wires i am trying to figure out what they are, from what i see i think i have a 15 fet controller with P75NF75 (rated at 75v). There is 15 connected on the side of the controller box and three in the center of the board but dont know what there are, if they are part of the fet count then its a 18 fet controller.
20180223_204722.jpg
Not sure what the other numbers mean.
20180223_204553.jpg
The 3pin molex with red/green/black and the two 2pin jst with red/green/black wires are connected on the bottom and top in the same location, on the board it shows: black -/ red +/ green T. Dont know how that works unless the green is throttle signal and black/red will open the cirquit -/+ when brake is applied. The 2pin molex shows black - and blue S; no clue.
20180223_203425.jpg20180223_203003.jpg
and finally the 2pin jst shows the black and red connected in the same place as the main battery connections, does this apply power to the red and black wires with the green with a switch to power the wires connected in the same place on top and bottom of board since there on the same cirquit....
20180223_204722.jpg
gonna search but actually feel a bit more confused, how do you turn the controller on and off (i might have had a switch on the battery, maybe it doesn't connect to the thumb throttle), how does the battery gauge know the voltage (probably gets voltage from 2pin jst red/black and powers the throttle but which wire do you open the circuit with the black or red for the brakes?) Gonna be inspector clueso and try to figure out... Gotta love this im getting in deeper and deeper now i'm getting into bread boards and the circuity, cell harvesting, fabricating parts. knowing this kind of stuff definitely makes me a better consumer, china is constantly looking more trust worthy as long as you know what your getting which is usually stuff that isn't really marketed but has the features. for example most of there products do more then they tell you but with some research you find out they just push products of the assembly line with out calibrating but is something you would do after you get it for whatever diy project.

luckyozone7 said:
The 3pin molex with red/green/black and the two 2pin jst with red/green/black wires are connected on the bottom and top in the same location, on the board it shows: black -/ red +/ green T. Dont know how that works unless the green is throttle signal and black/red will open the cirquit -/+ when brake is applied.
Assuming that's the throttle connecotr, then:
+ is 5v to the throttle's hall sensor to power it.
T is throttle signal from throttle sensor to controller.
- is ground to the throttle's hall sensor.

The 2pin must not be quite connected in the same place, or it'd be shorting out signal or power or both, if the 2pin has all three wires in it, as one pair of them must be shorted together at one of the contacts, while the other is by itself. Which pair is shorted at the JST?

You can measure this witl a multimeter on continuity or ohms. Put the red lead on the controller pad +, then measure from that to each of the wires on each of the two connectors. with teh black lead. Then do the same for each of the other two pads T and -

The 2pin molex shows black - and blue S; no clue.
Dunno on that one, but it could be a brake switch, since nothing else you describe sounds like one.

and finally the 2pin jst shows the black and red connected in the same place as the main battery connections, does this apply power to the red and black wires with the green with a switch to power the wires connected in the same place on top and bottom of board since there on the same cirquit....
That's probably an auxiliary power connector for something else on a scooter or similar (like for a DC-DC for 12v lights), and wouldn't be used on a typical ebike.

But you say there's a green wire, in addition to the red and black--that would be odd ot have three wires on a 2-pin connector. There's not normally any reaosn to do that, but youv'e already got at least one of the other 2pins you describe as having three wires, as well.

Anyhow, you'll have ot measure or trace where each wire actually goes inside the controller from each connector, and draw it out.

how do you turn the controller on and off
Some have a "keyswitch" or "ignition" wire, usually a thin wire that's paired up with the main battery wire, that you'd connect togehter to enable the controller. Many don't have any wiring to do this ,and are just always on if power is connected.

how does the battery gauge know the voltage
Because it gets connected directly to battery voltage. ;)

(probably gets voltage from 2pin jst red/black and powers the throttle but which wire do you open the circuit with the black or red for the brakes?) Gonna be inspector clueso and try to figure out...
Your best bet is to draw exactly what you see for all the wiring, and post the drawing here in the thread. Draw the wires and label the connectors and wires for what they are physically, and label them with the letters or symbols they ahve on the controller board.

Then add labels to them for functions as you find out what they are.

Alternately, label things via text, very simply, like you can see I did in some of the threads I linked to, with a list of pad names/etc then the functions I found for them. That method is eas to copy/paste and edit until you are sure you have everything determined.

Just caught my typo, the 3pin molex and two 3pin jst are connected to each other through the front and back of the board (See picture below 3pin molex is the top picture below the blue/black wires + red T green - black, the picture below that one show the 6 wires they go to two 3pin jst conected through the board to the three same wires above). The ground has continuity to the black wires from the main - black battery wire. The red and green do not have continuity to the + red battery wire.
20180224_215835.jpg
20180223_203425 - Copy.jpg20180223_203003.jpg
any idea if the 2x 3pin jst could be used for brake lever engine cutoff and how since three throttle connections looks wrong.
lastly would be the 2pin jst blue/black, how would i test for brake switch?

Attachments

• 20180223_203425 - Copy (2).jpg
    20180223_203425 - Copy (2).jpg
    172 KB · Views: 1,456
luckyozone7 said:
any idea if the 2x 3pin jst could be used for brake lever engine cutoff and how since three throttle connections looks wrong.
Throttle and brake will be two completely different connections (possibly with common ground, or common +5v)

If these are all wired to the same points then they are the same function. Why there would be 3 of the same thing, I have no idea. You could remove the ones you arent' using to simplify wiring.

how would i test for brake switch?
You'd have to hook it to a motor, and a throttle, then figure out the correct phase/hall combination for that motor's wiring. (so you know it's working whenever you use the throttle)

Then you can short the two suspected brake switch wires, and see if the motor still spins when using throttle. If it does, then that's not the brake wires. If it doesn't spin with them shorted, then it is probably the brake wires, if it does then spin again when you unshort the wires.

Back