(possibly naive?) battery question

So on that - I am doing reading and trying to get myself up to speed. A couple of questions though that I haven't quite figured out with certainty:

- This balancer/cell chcker can handle 6S ... is this the type of thing that I would need? (https://hobbyking.com/en_us/turnigy...isplay-and-balancer-2s-6s.html?___store=en_us
- I understand how to balance one pack, but what is the consideration for keeping two packs balanced?
- I have a 48v charger. Would I be able to use this charger and charge the two packs while connected, or will I need to buy a new charger as well?

Thanks again for the help. It seems everytime I get a handle on something (motor windings, controllers, etc..) there is a whole new world to explore ... now it is batteries. But that is what keeps this newish hobby interesting.

Yes., you can charge both packs while in series with a charger that does not exceed 50.4V output. But most 48V chargers output more than that. So I wouldn't use a 48V charger without Keeping a good eye on it and disconnecting it immediately once voltage hits 50.4V. You can find 50.4V chargers all over the place. I charge my 24s pack with a 100.8V charger and use a balancer for each 6s pack.

So tbe perfectly clear: I would balance each 6S pack independently, and I do not need to worry about balancing the two different packs 'together'?

That is the cell checker I use and I like them. You can bulk charge as you are doing now and check the packs separately every few charges to make sure nothing is drifting too much. You can also balance charge the 12s pack whole with a few different reasonably priced balance chargers. I did that at first but still had one pack with a lazy cell and it starting taking way to long to balance out. I went to a BC168 after that and have no more issues as I charge each cell in each pack independently. A bit more work, but I don't worry now.

drawk said:
So tbe perfectly clear: I would balance each 6S pack independently, and I do not need to worry about balancing the two different packs 'together'?
You can use a pure parallel balance charger, but most of these can only charge S6 at a time. So you can just charge each half of your pack independently if you like. Most people get sick of doing that sooner or later.

You can just split the pack in half by removing the connection between your two S6 battery lipo packs and then hook it up to the charger as a double sized S6 pack so you can charge it all up in one go. If you forget to remove the link between your lipo packs before plugging the charger into both packs then you will instantly bbq the charger. This stuff is fine for DIY like your self (as your building a pack out of lipos) but not acceptable solution for complete user friendly premade ebike battery packs as its not a simple plug and play solution, but it does offer more fine grain control and insight into how your battery is going on every single charge.

Links to pure parallel balance chargers, but zero promises they are the best prices/support out there etc..
https://www.banggood.com/RadioLink-CB86-Plus-6A-210W-Professional-Lipo-Balance-Charger-Discharger-p-972541.html?cur_warehouse=CN
Una9
http://www.myrcmart.com/unrc-una9-plus-battery-lipo-balance-charger-parallel-charging-p-5502.html

For more on pure parallel balance chargers, this thread is probably the best one.
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=41107

Thanks again for all the help and insight. I'm starting to get a more comfortable handle of all of this now. Of course, while I was hemming and hawing to make sure they would work in my set up, I missed the sale, lol (I believe they were 50% off at the time of my first post) - I'll keep checking for an equivalent sale now that I now exactly what I am in the market for.

That will be a 12S (45.6 V nom.)/8000 mAh pack, A little small I.M.O. At around 20 mph w/ moderate pedaling, figure 1 1/2 to 2 miles per Ah. The standard LVC of 42 V is perfect
12S(3.655 V per cell). I have been using Multistar since it came out, pack of 4000 mAh, 5000mAh and 20000 mAh, 12S up to 14S.
I have, though much trial and error, developed a system of bulk charging using a Mean Well HLG power supply and Battery Medics and would strongly recommend you search my posts, using search word "Multistar". It will save you money, time and hopefully, blackened fingers :roll:

Going through your posts now. Hobbyking is such a tease - everytime I want to bite on something, it is out of stock. Maybe I should broaden my search horizons. As far as the 8 Ah goes, it is sufficient for my present needs. I moved up to northern Ontario, Canada in a fairly small town (technically a city, but I am from the city ... this does not feel like a city to me) and even on my longest round trips and whipping around town, with my present 36v 10 Ah, I've never run it low. I'd like 10 Ah, but money is a bigger factor at the moment than range.

Back