Feedback on using Hirose DF62 Connectors

rberger

10 W
I've been thinking about doing a next generation of wiring of my Pedalec Trike. My first attempt was mainly to get things to work, so there were a lot of kludges.

All the separate wires from the Cycle Analyst (CA) are kind of hanging out there and won't fit down the Mini-T Cockpit.

I also was pretty naive on how to do JST connectors. Didn't have the proper crimping tool, etc. So a complete do-over seems like a good winter project.

I really don't like having the CA wires and connectors dangling out there. So I was thinking of 3D Printing a new back for the CA with panelized connectors as inspired by Marke Eigenbau's attempt at something similar. He used HIGO Mini-B Series connectors, but they do seem pretty fidgety. So I was looking for something different. And then I saw Grin Tech's new Learning Post on Connectors where they mentioned the Hirose DF62 series Their comment on this was:
if we could start over our standards we would have totally chosen this Hirose DF62 series as our preferred small signal connector over the JST-SM

So that seems like a pretty good endorsement.

I was able to find all the connectors I need from Mouser and they aren't ridiculously expensive.

But one question I have is: Can I use my existing IWISS SN-2549 Dupont/JST Crimper Tool to crimp the DF62 pins, or do I really need the Hirose specific $550 tool. Having to use the Hirose expensive crimper would make using the DF62 non-viable.

In any case my plan is to still have things that are on the "cockpit" (Throttle, DAUX, E-Brake) go directly to the CA. But then use a 24 conductor cable, ideally using the 24 pin DF62, to run all the lines to a junction box at the center of the trike and fan out from there. The Junction Box would also use Panel mount DF62 connectors with appropriate pin sizes to connect the various things that normally have to run up to the CA.

Here's a diagram. Would love any feedback or suggestions! Especially from anyone who has played with the DF62 series or suggestions for other panel mount connectors that could be suitable and easy to work with.
Trike Logical Wiring - Trike Layout Wireing.jpg

Also the Hirose DF62w have the same architecture with a seal to keep out water. I'm about to order a test batch so I'll keep you posted. I've had good experiences using crimpers, with multiple jaws, on many pin types. I'd be confident you can find a cheaper crimping tool although I haven't looked.

In a similar project but different task I've been looking at panel mount options for controller phase outputs and battery input.
GL

What exactly do the pins of the Hirose look like?

As long as their crimping area is the same basic configuration as the JST, then the same crimper may work fine on them.

If the crimping area is very different, then the same crimper may not be able to form the tabs and whatnot down into the crimp correctly, or provide the right pressure in the right places well enough to form a good crimp.

I use an old multi-size Molex crimper for doing Andersons *and* JSTs, and it does a decent job given it's not ratchetng or hydraulic, simply my own hand pressure (or a hammer and wood block ;) ). But I'd probably get better results with a crimper made specifically for each type of contact.

Cool, I'll order some DF62s and see how it works.

Unfortunately as far as I can tell, the Waterproof version doesn't have a panel mount. So Ill be going with the standard type connector.

Keep us posted on how these work out for you Robert and any observations that you have in using them and in finding 3rd party crimp tools that work well.

I'm really hoping for a slick in-line signal connector for DIY ebikes that looks as good as HiGo's but can be user installed and these seem like the closest thing yet. Will be following keenly.

cwah said:
Are there some ready made on I just need to solder the wires?

I haven't been able to find a supplier of premade harnesses with the DF62 connecotor and pigtail wires coming out of it yet, in the same way that you can easily get these with JST-SM's. If somebody else is able to find a source that would be great to know. It is a relatively new connector so I imagine it takes some time before this propagates to being available precrimped.

Another nice advantage over the JST-SM ebike product design is that some of the pin counts have panel mount an PC mount options

https://www.mouser.com/ds/2/185/DF62_catalog-939210.pdf
DF62PanelMount.jpg
DF62PCMnt.jpg

justin_le said:
Another nice advantage over the JST-SM ebike product design is that some of the pin counts have panel mount an PC mount options

Yeah, the Panel mount option was one of the main things I was interested in. Unfortunately as far as I can tell, they don't make the water resistant style as Panel Mount though.

Hi, just getting to build a diy ebike. And Hirose DF62 (gold connectors, and maybe water proof) seem the way to go. If they reduced the price for the tool, wouldn't lots more people buy the connectors? Or, if the tool isn't patented (maybe it is?) someone could build one (or lots). Perhaps they just want 'professionals) to buy the connectors , in large quantities...

Back