Pot on controller shunt?

rg12

100 kW
Hey Guys,

Is it possible to control the shunt resistance with a pot?
I want to add a pot across the shunt (not replace it) to add conductivity.
Will it work? and if so, what pot rating do I need?
I want to raise a 45A controller to about 100A and be able to bring it back to 45A (did it before with solder to well over 100A (I'm experimenting with a few different cooling techniques)).

In short, no.

But what I have seen is to use a small pot across a hefty shunt so you can lower the output voltage going to the sensing circuit in the controller. This way you can make the shunt sensitivity variable.

teklektik said:
Please see: https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=31643#p494749

Yep, exactly. I've done it before and it worked well. The value of the potentiometer is not critical but should be something less than 100 ohms.

Since you can clip one shunt out of three, and lower the power, could you not introduce a switch on one or more shunts?

Maybe that's how those three speed switches work, I'm an idiot with electronics as you all know.

Yeah i played around trying to switch shunts about 10 years ago and it didn't go well. The full current of the controller goes through them so it melted the switch contacts in short order. As above you can fiddle a resistor in some of them but in this day and age just use the controller programming settings or speed modes. Or better still a CA for on the fly tunability.

Back