CANADIAN ELECTRICAL CODE, Section 86 — Electric vehicle charging systems

kneedeep

100 W
I was going over my Electrical code book prepping to finish the wiring on my shop and thought I should copy and paste this for anyone wanting it.

Section 86 — Electric vehicle charging systems
Scope
86-000 Scope
(1) This Section applies to the installation of the electrical conductors and equipment external to an electric
vehicle that connect an electric vehicle to a source of electric current by conductive or inductive means,
and to the installation of equipment and devices related to electric vehicle charging.
(2) The requirements of this Section supplement or amend the general requirements of this Code.
General
86-100 Special terminology
In this Section, the following definitions apply:
Electric vehicle (see Appendix B) — an automotive-type vehicle for use on public roads that
(a) includes automobiles, buses, trucks, vans, low-speed vehicles, motorcycles, and similar vehicles powered
by one or more electric motors that draw current from a fuel cell, photovoltaic array, rechargeable energy
storage system (such as a battery or capacitor), or other source of electric current;
(b) includes plug-in hybrid electric vehicles (PHEVs); and
(c) excludes off-road electric vehicles, such as industrial trucks, hoists, lifts, transports, golf carts, airline ground
support equipment, tractors, and mobility scooters for persons with disabilities.
Electric vehicle supply equipment (EVSE) — a complete assembly consisting of conductors, connectors,
devices, apparatus, and fittings installed specifically for the purpose of power transfer and information exchange
between the branch circuit and the electric vehicle (see Appendix B).
Electric vehicle connector — a device that, when electrically coupled to a mating device on the electric
vehicle, establishes means for power transfer and information exchange between an electric vehicle and electric
vehicle supply equipment.
Plug-in hybrid electric vehicle (PHEV) — a type of electric vehicle having an additional energy source for
motive power.
86-102 Voltages
The nominal ac system voltages used to supply equipment covered in this Section shall not exceed 750 V.
86-104 Permanently connected and cord-connected equipment
Rules 86-300 to 86-404 apply to installation of permanently connected and cord-connected electric vehicle
supply equipment.
Equipment
86-200 Warning sign
Permanent, legible signs shall be installed at the point of connection of the electric vehicle supply equipment to
the branch circuit wiring, warning against operation of the equipment without sufficient ventilation as
recommended by the manufacturer’s installation instructions.
Control and protection
86-300 Branch circuits (see Appendix B)
(1) Electric vehicle supply equipment shall be supplied by a separate branch circuit that supplies no other loads
except ventilation equipment intended for use with the electric vehicle supply equipment.
(2) Notwithstanding Subrule (1), electric vehicle supply equipment shall be permitted to be supplied from a
branch circuit supplying another load(s), provided that control equipment prevents simultaneous
operation of the electric vehicle supply equipment with other circuit loads such that the calculated demand
of the circuit is not exceeded.
(3) For the purposes of Subrule (2), the calculated demand shall be determined in accordance with Section 8.
Δ
Δ
Δ
Licensed for/Autorisé à Richard Robertson Sold by/vendu par CSA on/le January/09/2015.
~Single user license only. Storage, distribution or use on network prohibited. Permis d'utilisateur simple seulement.
Le stockage, la distribution ou l'utilisation sur le réseau est interdit.
Canadian Electrical Code, Part I
298 © 2015 CSA Group
86-302 Connected load
The total connected load of a branch circuit supplying electric vehicle supply equipment and the ventilation
equipment permitted by Rule 86-300 shall be considered continuous for the purposes of Rule 8-104.
86-304 Disconnecting means
(1) A separate disconnecting means shall be provided for each installation of electric vehicle supply equipment
rated at 60 A or more, or more than 150 volts-to-ground.
(2) The disconnecting means required in Subrule (1) shall be
(a) on the supply side of the point of connection of the electric vehicle supply equipment;
(b) located within sight of and accessible to the electric vehicle supply equipment; and
(c) capable of being locked in the open position.
86-306 Receptacles for electric vehicle supply equipment (see Appendix B)
(1) Each receptacle for the purpose of electric vehicle charging shall be labelled in a conspicuous, legible, and
permanent manner, identifying it as an electric vehicle supply equipment receptacle and shall be
(a) a single receptacle of CSA configuration 5-20R supplied from a 125 V branch circuit rated not less
than 20 A; or
(b) of the appropriate CSA configuration in accordance with Diagram 1 or 2 when supplied from a
branch circuit rated at more than 125 V or more than 20 A.
(2) When the receptacle referred to in Subrule (1)(a) is installed outdoors and within 2.5 m of finished grade,
it shall be protected with a ground fault circuit interrupter of the Class A type.
86-308 Electric vehicle as electric power production source
(1) Electric vehicle supply equipment and other parts of a system, either on board or off board the vehicle, that
are identified for and intended to be interconnected to a vehicle and also serve as an optional standby
system or an electric power production source or provide for bi-directional power feed shall be specifically
approved for that purpose and so marked.
(2) When an electric vehicle is used as described in Subrule (1), the requirements of Section 84 shall apply.
Electric vehicle supply equipment locations
86-400 Indoor charging sites (see Appendix B)
(1) Indoor sites shall be permitted to include, but not be limited to, integral, attached, and detached residential
garages, enclosed or underground parking structures, repair and non-repair commercial garages,
agricultural buildings, and similar rooms or locations where the electric vehicle connector can couple to the
electric vehicle.
(2) Where the electric vehicle supply equipment requires ventilation,
(a) adequate ventilation shall be provided in each indoor charging site as specified in Rule 26-546;
(b) the electric vehicle supply equipment shall be electrically interlocked with the ventilation equipment
so that the ventilation equipment operates with the electric vehicle supply equipment; and
(c) if the supply to the ventilation equipment is interrupted, the electric vehicle supply equipment shall
be made inoperable.
86-402 Outdoor charging sites
Outdoor charging sites shall be permitted to include, but not be limited to, residential carports and driveways,
curbsides, open parking structures, parking lots, commercial charging facilities, and similar locations.
86-404 Hazardous locations
Electric vehicle supply equipment and the supply connection to such equipment located in hazardous locations
or areas shall conform to the applicable requirements of this Code

Thank you very much for this. I have to present an installation plan to my Condo board for the installation of an EV charging station...The electrical box is 28' from where I will plug the car in, 60 amp, 240 volts. Got to dig a trench. Would you be so kind as to look in your code book and tell me a how deep I must dig and what protection is required, if any, around the cable. Really appreciate!!!

Back