troubleshoot 600W BMC motor 12 FET controller 48V batteries

timeride

1 µW
I'm resuming my long haul, load bearing project bike but have come to complete dead stop before even starting.

So look I'm looking here for some (hits head and says "doh") pointers as to where to fault find next.

The setup: BMC 600W Motor, 12 FET controller, thumb throttle, Cycle Analyst, 48V battery.

The symptoms: Motor, controller, Cycle Analyst and throttle control all wired in. Ignition on--->motor sort of jump starts into full throttle, then dies- as in: full speed (on) then glides to a stop (off). No smell, no sparks from arcing immediately after this.

Nothing ever responds after this failed event. Circuit is still live- CA reads 54V. Circuit still turns on and off with CA reading 54v, but no wheel ever spins again. Again, no smell, no sparks or evidence from arcing anywhere on the circuit. I did however find a loose hall motor sensor connection, later reconnected, but with no movement from the motor.

I've now checked every connection- including rewiring all anderson plugs (phase wires, hall motor sensors). I still get a CA reading of 54V when I turn the battery circuit on and off...but absolutely no wheel hub movement- I've spent all this weekend going through the various combinations of the ES WIKI- "Determining the Wiring for a Brushless Motor", and still no wheel movement, no stuttering start- just a live circuit.

Hear is what my voltmeter measured:

I did all measurements on the controller side of the circuit, as I wanted to prove to myself that the controller was still working:

(CA is showing 54.4v during all of these readings)

Voltage readings on the thick motor phase wires (Blue Yellow Green)

48.8V
- probe on Blue
+ probe on Yellow

48.8v
- probe on Yellow
+ probe on Green

48.8v
- probe on Green
+ probe on Yellow

So I am correct in assuming there is enough voltage coming out of the controller to power the BMC 600W motor?

With CA still showing 54.4V, I checked the Hall Sensor wires.

Voltage reading on this part of the circuit (not testing any combinations of Blue, Yellow or Green hall motor sensors):

4.8v (no, not a typo)
- probe on Black
+ probe on Red

Voltage reading on the Throttle with the circuit still live (Red, Black and Green wires).

Throttle is at idle, and below voltage readings remained unchanged with the below combinations:

.55V
- probe on Green
+ probe on Red

3.7v
- probe on Black
+ probe on Green

4.3v
- probe on Black
+ probe on Red

Given all the above testing am I correct in saying...

1. The controller is working ie outputting at least 48v, enough to drive the hub motor
2. The throttle could be at fault (odd, as it's brand new)
3. The problem could be with the BMC hub motor

If it's 3, what tests do I run and what am looking for eg with the motor disconntected from the circuit can I put the meter in ohms and just probe either the power wires (red or black) or the phase wires (bue, yellow, green) to see if there is continuity in the hub motor?

Any assistance gratefully received.

If I need to fault find with the hub, I've found the tool...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rh2nCfksh3U

Back