The Best Battery Possible for the Bafang BBSHD

Bullfrog

10 kW
How would you like to increase the power of your BBSHD without any modifications to the motor?

Very simple, just install a 15s battery...there are a multitude of benefits and I haven't thought of a downside at all.

Why 15s...well the BBSHD will not operate on a battery above 60v without changing or modifying the controller. A 14s battery tops out at 58.8v and a 15s would go over 60v if fully charge but the benefits of only charging to 4.0v per cell or 60v are maximum voltage and wattage to the BBSHD as well as a lot longer battery life than if you charged a 14s pack to 100% pr 58.8v.

Now with lithium batteries you don't want to charge them too high or discharge them too low so if you use a max charge of 4.0v per cell and discharge the pack to 3.49v per cell or approximately 52.4v...you just about can't be any nicer to your battery unless you never use it. If you have a 15s8p pack and run it between 4.0v and 3.49v, you have about the same capacity or amp hours/watt hours as you would with a 14s6p pack running it from 100% to 25% or 4.2v per cell to 3.49v per cell. Just FYI, 3.49v is roughly 25% for a lithium battery and 4.2v is approximately 100%. The worst thing you can do to your lithium battery is charge it to 100%...well even worse is charge it to 100%, leave it there. In addition, the higher the temperature the worse it is for your battery...that is how I convinced my wife to let me leave my bike in the living room :D ...she is definitely a keeper.

The optimum voltage for a lithium cell is 3.92v per cell so the closer you can stay to 3.92v, the longer your battery will last. Most of my battery info comes from this site: http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/how_to_prolong_lithium_based_batteries

So no modifications to your BBSHD are required, just install your new 15s battery and get 1800 watts of power. Since the BBSHD is amperage limited and not wattage limited you want to run the voltage as high as possible without going over 60v to get the maximum power.

Now just if someone would commercially produce a 15s pack....a 16s pack is available but remember you want to stay as close as possible to 3.92v and a 16s charged to 60v would give you 3.75v per cell. You also don't want to go below about 3.49v per cell...I am taking things to an extreme by the way with most of my recommendations. The number of parallel strings could be tailored to match the capacity you need, I just used an 8p pack because it will be real close in size and weight to a common 14s9p battery. The 14s9p has 126 cells (14x9) and a 15s8p has 120 cells (15x8)...the 15 is the number of series strings and 8 is the number of parallel strings. The number of series strings determines the voltage and the number of parallel strings determines the capacity (amp hours/watt hours).

Yep, I am going to be first in line when there is a 15s8p pack available with 30Q cells. The 30Q cells are currently one of the best high power cells (high amperage) but that will probably change by the time I hit the "Submit" button with the way technology is rapidly advancing.

Back