Disassembling Geared Hub

Xray

100 mW
I have the Luna branded geared hub: https://lunacycle.com/geared-hub-ebike-kit-750w-for-front-or-rear/ on the rear of my bike. I'd like to disassemble it to check the gears and add some grease. When I take out the screws and pull off the cover on the freewheel side, I see all the electronic parts. The side with the gears does not come off, at least not easily. I didn't want to pry on anything until I knew I wasn't going to do any damage. Is the cover pressed on or is it simply the force of the magnets holding it in place? Anything important to know before I dive in? Any idea of what brand this hub actually is? Thanks for any help!

Well, the motor is somewhat different than the geared mini's I'm used to, but unless I miss my guess, only the flat cover comes off and the rest is a housing.
The motor "core" comes out by tapping on the opposite axle, but don't strike the axle directly. Thread the axle nut backwards on til the nut is just above the axle treads and tap on that. Don't get carried away and beat on it. If the core doesn't move, I would just put the cover back on and "call it a day".
The gears are no doubt either Nylon or a plastic composite and need very little grease. The new motors that I have looked at had plenty of grease from the factory.
It's not worth damaging something just to satisfy your curiosity.

It has been noisier than I expected was the reason I was wanting to check the grease. I don't have a lot of experience with geared hub motors though. I've got a lot more time with a BBS02 and a DD hub. I just thought I would be proactive and check things out.

Usually the other side held on by that nut on the axle. then once inside, you need snap ring pliers to get into the core itself.

Xray said:
I have the Luna branded geared hub: https://lunacycle.com/geared-hub-ebike-kit-750w-for-front-or-rear/ on the rear of my bike. I'd like to disassemble it to check the gears and add some grease. When I take out the screws and pull off the cover on the freewheel side, I see all the electronic parts. The side with the gears does not come off, at least not easily. I didn't want to pry on anything until I knew I wasn't going to do any damage. Is the cover pressed on or is it simply the force of the magnets holding it in place? Anything important to know before I dive in? Any idea of what brand this hub actually is? Thanks for any help!

Same as ebikekit motor.

Back