Interbike Hill Climbing Challange - Hanebrink Wins !

HTB_Terry

100 W
Interbike sponsored an electric bike race during the show last week. It was outside of town on a moderate hill. Many ebike companies conmpeted, I was unable to submit an entry in time. Hanebrink's off road bike won. This was not the stock Aotema powered model but a special order option using the Crystalite 5000 series motor. There wasn't time to configure the new high powered Aotema motor to the bike. Battery power was two of Hightekbikes 36V10AH packs wired in series for 72V. I believe the current was 40A. The organizers billed it as a people power verses ebikes and entered a couple ringers who were professional riders with their $10k race bikes. They evened shortened the track to give them an advantage. They still lost :D They came in two and three followed by a dual motor setup from Goldenmotors which had two 1000W motors. A stock Hanebrink came in 5th. Pics and video at: http://www.juicedriders.com/blog/2010/9/22/interbike-hill-climb-challenge-report.html

LOL. I deal with speed bumps with more altitude than that. That's not even a 5% grade, so what kind of hill climbing challenge is that? Considering that this morning I rode my cargo ebike up 2.5km hill with 7-8% grade the entire length while maintaining a speed between 40 and 45mph the entire length, that race was a joke. I wasn't even WOT the entire distance because wet conditions forced me to slow for some of the curves. I'm a bit surprised one of the pedalists didn't win with it that short and that slight grade.

John in CR said:
That's not even a 5% grade, so what kind of hill climbing challenge is that?

With only 2kw, serious peddlers are almost sporting. :lol: OTOH If someone had shown up with a 5305 and a 100v/100a methods/lyen/steveo I think it would have been a lonely finish. Heck I coulda slapped that together in an afternoon from whats in my garage at home, and I can think of a dozen Cali members who could put me to shame with tweaking. Good to see ebike coverage though, especially mixed with peddlers. And things will probably get more restricted when the 'general public' (or GM) realizes the capabilities a 10kw ebike has.

-JD

Funny how flat a hill looks in pics and video. In TDF coverage everything looks pretty flat, and you can only tell it's above 10% by seeing them slow down.

Not bad though, that a bunch of ebikes that looked like regular commuters nearly kept up with the podium riders. I bet those lycras couldn't believe that fat tire monster beat em. :mrgreen: On my 20 mph bikes I get beat by lycras. But put a regular aotema on 22 amps of 48v, and no way they beat me.

Too bad my race bike wasn't there, or one like it. Nothing special either, just a mundane 45 mph ebike. I'm going to wait till after next months race to hill test it.

Back