Wish You Were Here! Recumbent Retreat & Tour

LI-ghtcycle

10 MW
Well, first off, I want to thank Rassy for his generous gift of my new beloved Vision R40 bike that really made this all possible, Silvia (Myrtle the Turtle Ecospeed Powered Trike) and Steve who I met about 1 week prior to the Recumbent Retreat and encouraged me to go!

This was my first trip of any kind beyond 80 miles on any bike, and I had ridden some pretty heavy Ebikes in the past, but nothing like taking a full touring load on a bicycle outfitted for self-supported camping (I brought ALL my food, water, tools & supplies for the 7 day trip). My motor from Golden Motor is still on the slow boat from China, so this was strictly leg-powered! :shock:

And this is the song that was playing in my head for most of the trip, so I thought it was fitting as the "theme" of the trip:

(I can't seem to imbed this youtube for some reason? ... it's Pink Floyd- Wish You Were Here)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sGpnP0LYfjM&feature=fvsr

Well, the first thing that every trip starts with is a map and a plan right?

Wrong! :roll:

I had to get the bike ready first, including mounting my newly built 90mm front drum brake (Thank you Jude at Sugar Wheels!) and the first 24 inch fork I got had too short of a steer tube by about 1/4 inch, so I just eliminated the lock washer and used lock tight! :shock: (it actually worked a charm, and never loosened on me, but still made me nervous). Next I needed to attach the rear rack that had also be provided by Rassy.

Also I had gear that I have been collecting for a year or so that I thought might be useful for a long trip in hopes that some day I would take a trip across the US, but none of it had even been attached to a bike much less this new one!

I initially didn't think I would be able to go, but my parents gave me an advance on my next month's pay, so with maybe 4 days before I would need to leave, I started to figure out #1 how I would make the new drum brake wheel work with the giant 2.35 Big Apple tire (the original forks only gave me 1/16 in clearance between top of tire and fork!) and I wanted the option of a fender, so I had to find a 24 inch fork that would work, this proved to be very difficult at first!

I managed to stumble upon one at the Community Cycle Center in NE Portland, and then managed to cut the steer tube with out taking into consideration the thickness of the lock washer so really it was about 1/8 in shorter than it should have been, but it seemed to work fine, and again a little lock tight and away we go! :wink:

Next I needed to get the rear rack on, and since I had added a disk brake, I had different heights of the places I would bolt it down to, and fortunately this rear rack had adjustable length bottom mounts, so again with a little tweaking here and there, it fit just perfect! :D

Ok, now here is the question that I had to answer once I really looked hard at all my gear and weeded out the stuff I didn't need to take, how do you make this:

39108784083_large.jpg

Fit on This?! :|

39108784055_large.jpg

Well, after much packing and stuffing of the lap top bags that I had bought long ago from goodwill for around $3-$5 each, I was able to come up with this!

39108784065_large.jpg

(Sorry I would have a much better picture, but with limited space on my camera, a better one of the bike packed was eliminated, and I really don't feel like re-packing the bike right now too tired still :p )

Ok, so I got to figure out how I am going to go there too right?

Wrong again!! :eek:

I forgot that I hadn't yet installed a cycle computer, and I was going to go cheap and just use one of the standard ones I have laying around, but none of them had a long enough cable to go to the rear wheel, and since I had to go to all the trouble of soldering on the extension, I decided to use my good one that also happened to be programmed for the large wheel on the back already anyway.

So as a re-cap, even before getting started packing or testing out my stove and other gear, I had to fab up a fork, rear rack, AND solder an extension onto the leads of my cycle computer to get the bike ready.

Every night of preparation I was up to around 2am, and even though during this time I received my Crow Cycle extra tall center stand, I had NO TIME to even think about fabing up a mount for it (blessing in disguise) and went with out any kick-stand of any kind.

Also, I have yet to receive my new motor from Golden Motor, so this was strictly a pedal power only operation (big chance if my fatigue set in!) and I was going alone, I had hoped to connect with someone else heading this way, but ran outta time for that.

So back to the map ... Google had given me a lovely trip through the West Hills (over them not around them! :roll: :lol: ) including nothing less than the WORST road possible over said hills, Taylor's Ferry road!

Since I was up so late just in preparation, testing out my MSR Whisperlite International Multi-fuel capable stove:

IMGP6418.jpg

(White Gas, Unleaded Gas, Kerosene, Diesel, etc. ) buying some White Gas for it (It WILL burn Unleaded fine, but it's smokey and will limit the life of the stove if used regularly) I never got the chance to really take a detailed look at the route Google had planned for me.

Also, packing the gear, trial & error figuring out how best to attach the bags with bungie cords took me much longer than planed, and I didn't leave the house until 11AM. Good thing is that nothing ever rubbed or got loose to cause me any real trouble! Not even blasting down the Oregon City hill at 35+ MPH! :twisted:

The bridge in Oregon City is still closed until some time in 2012, so I had to travel across the Sellwood bridge, which was surprisingly good, cars stayed well back and gave me plenty of space!

Once I got across however, I was traveling on HWY 43 a most NON-bike friendly route, and even thought there was a separate bike path that ran along it, not knowing where it connected to the route over the hills, I took the HWY, and cringed as cars came out of warp behind me! :shock:

So after surviving that mile or so, I found the point where Google suggested I take Taylor's Ferry road, and just as it started to hit 15 - 20% grade, it had a nice little suggestion ..... take the stairs!~?!!? :evil: :roll: :oops: obviously Google never took into consideration a 150lb fully loaded touring bike for this route, so even though I could have pedaled up this hellish grade at about 3 MPH, I decided to push instead up the one lane road to the right of Taylors Ferry and save my pedaling muscles some grief.

Once on top of the hills, I was able to continue to follow the map on a more logical course, following bike paths on the side of HWY 210, HWY 10 and Walker Road that were pretty friendly, and uneventful until I reached Hillsboro.

This is one of the few portions of the route I did manage to get to look in detail on Google, and on their images I saw the point where I would get onto HWY 26 heading West to the coast, and it was a major freeway sure, but it has (or actually HAD) a huge shoulder with plenty of space! 8)

However, once I got to 185th my cycle computer's bracket gave-way, and I had to do an emergency zip-tie repair that came out better than I expected.

Next, heading down the shoulder of the on-ramp, my dreams of a beautiful wide shoulder were rudely interrupted by a 2 ft drop off, gravel bed and various heavy movers doing construction! :roll: :evil: :shock:

By now it was about 3pm and rush hour is in full swing, and I just couldn't believe there wasn't an alternative route, and I went a little north of HWY 26 to see if the North/South bike path connected with something heading west parallel to 26, no luck so I headed to town in search of a map.

I managed to find a Barnes & Noble, looked though their books on travel guides hoping to find something along the lines of bicycle travel routes, no luck, so I just got a regular map and tried my luck.

To my surprise, I am chatting with a lady in front of me in line, when the gent behind me pipes up "I live in Tillamook, you can put your bike in my truck and I will take you to where Hwy 26 meets HWY 47" this was the beginning of my streak of both good and bad fortune, however, I can only say that not for the grace of God, I made it anyway! :mrgreen:

I was very happy to have this great guy solve my trouble of how to make the 10 miles I needed to connect to HWY 47 going toward Vernonia and then HWY 202, a route that Silvia was familiar with and had suggested (she also suggested I take the lite-rail or "MAX" train to Hillsboro, but silly me thought, "oh no that is going to take the same time as just riding there!" :roll: :lol: ) however, he being a local, I valued his advice, and he convinced me not to take 47 or 202, and to just take 26 down to 101, and then just follow 101 north to Astoria.

This was a HUGE learning experience to me, and from then on I learned the hard way NEVER take advice on where to ride a bicycle from someone who always travels by car! :lol:

Well, once dropped off by my friend with the pick-up, I started heading down 26 toward 101, encouraged after the debacle earlier in the morning, I soldiered onward, with "Wish You Were Here" playing in my head, and soon I was wishing I was somewhere else! :p

First off I had a very generous shoulder, not much traffic considering it was still about 4pm, so no true rush hour traffic yet, and then I realized to my shock that the West Hills were nothing more than the warm-up to the hills I was about to climb!

After countless steep grades, disappearing shoulders, 30ft drop-offs, soft shoulders and a narrow tunnel that thankfully had construction going on so a flagger waved us through one lane at a time (I might have stopped right there otherwise!) I somehow made it to a reasonable distance in the dark. I had nothing more than my "please see me!" light that had very little effect for lighting up the road, and fortunately I found a place to camp even though it wasn't designated a camp site, it also didn't have any signs saying I couldn't, so I slept to the sounds of the heavy equipment nearby fixing the road. :)

At this point I had made 48 miles progress after about 11 hours on the road: (This pic was taken early Friday Morning shortly before heading out.)

39108784082_large.jpg

Well, all hopes of making the trip in one day dashed, I set out Friday at around 8AM to see what new surprises the road from hell would offer, and it did not disappoint! :lol:

A bit further on, I stopped at a spring that someone had made into a drinking fountain/faucet, and met the ex-husband of one of the founding members of the Recumbent Retreat! I also found a foam cross that had the "WWJD" (What Would Jesus Do?) printed on the front. I stopped and though a moment about what the cross was asking me, and I thought, well Jesus wouldn't litter, and took it with me. This also helped me with my attitude and reminded me to stop stressing out so much when people passed so close or I was slugging up a steep grade pushing the bike, and have a more positive outlook, and man I had no idea how much I was going to need it! :lol:

The first big climb I went up gained about 500ft in less than 2 miles, then a mile or so more I was at 1000ft, then back down a bit then up until after several miles I reached the peak:

39108784081_large.jpg

A few miles further, I thought I had seen it all, and now had absolutely NO shoulder at all, and had to walk with the bike in the road, myself walking on the white line praying each time that I wouldn't get hit by the next onslaught of late summer vacationers too busy with their radios and such to even use the far lane when they had two, and I often stopped while they went by ready to jump down the side to escape an accident!

Here is one of the more generous "shoulders" along HWY 26 to give you and idea, I should have gotten a picture of the 100% slope (45%) sides of the road where it drops sometimes 30ft!

39108784080_large.jpg

At some point I came across an oasis, a Rest Stop!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

It might as well have been covered with palm trees, and have a pool of emerald blue water, it was heaven!!

I was able to use a real bathroom, get more water, and relax for a few minutes before the next big hill, and even convert another person to the "Bent Side" ! :p

A curious older lady wanted to know everything about this crazy but comfortable looking contraption I was riding, and eventually took a seat in it and wanted to take pictures.

One thing I must say about this bike, it's really incredible how unaffected by the extra weight! Other than just taking a bit lower gearing and effort to get the initial start especially on a hill, it's not wobbly or difficult to balance like a heavy laden up-right bike!

I think this is mostly due to the fact that all the weight centered on the rear wheel and seat isn't a big deal since you hold onto the solidly mounted seat, and while on the bike, your body weight balances things out, so none of the front of the bike trying to flop around dump the bike like most heavy loaded up-right bikes. :D

After my brief respite, it was back to hell! :lol:

The next thing to conquer was a two lane bridge around a blind corner with no shoulder or sidewalk and a lovely little sign saying "bicycles on road" posted on the bridge that would likely only be noticed IF the cars traveling at 55 MPH+ were looking for it, and I had a morbid image of a bicyclist run over like road kill "on the road" :lol: (Way to think positive right?! :wink: )

Well after surviving this ordeal, and again having to push the bike with mortal fear of being squished by the "can't be bothered" vacationers not wanting to disturb the left lane available to them on the steep grades, and seeming to think that if I had even an inch of shoulder they shouldn't need to give me any more room. :roll:

At around 1pm, I rolled into the Elderberry Inn:

39108784079_large.jpg

At this point I was at peace with my situation, but I had decided I had fought valiantly, but sadly this was to be the end of the road. :|

In approximately 4 hours of actual time on the road not including stops, I had made only SIX MILES progress, and at this rate, I was going to reach Astoria .... NEVER! :wink: :lol:

I decided that it was no longer worth risking my life trying to make it along this road, and I went inside seeking a calling card, and trying to figure out who best to call about getting a ride home.

At this point I had about $30 to my name (I started this trip with $50 to spare, and spent $20 on food & supplies) and since I was sure the trip was over, bought a $10 calling card.

However, again someone was watching over me and altered my plans dramatically!

The same lady who sold me the calling card saw how defeated I was and really went out of her way to encourage me and raise my spirits!

"I used to ride these roads years ago on my bicycle, and I can tell you just 1/8th mile ahead, you can still take 103 and connect to 202 and follow your trip as planned!"

Somehow she managed to plant a small seed of hope, that even though I still wasn't sure I was going any further, I still bought the car, and went into the Elderberry and got a Blueberry Milkshake! :D

I forgot to mention that everyday of this trip so far has been perfect weather, a little on the hot side (75 - 90 DEG) but no rain at all! I even went with-out a front fender, and decided my rain gear would be enough.

For the first time I had real hope of getting on a route that would be bicycle friendly with advice from a local who also road a bicycle (sure if I had listened to Silvia in the beginning, I would have taken HWY 47 in the beginning, live and learn, no more advice from car drivers!! :roll: :mrgreen: ) and just ride!

Just as described, I got on HWY 103 1/8 mile up the road, and from there on, it was a dream come true!! :shock: :shock: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I learned a new thing about "bike friendly" roads a sort of reverse psychology of car drivers, if there IS a shoulder they think, "Oh, he has room, no need to get over" but where there is NO shoulder, "Oh! I better give this guy some rooom!!" and room they gave!

Also, given the fact that HWY 202 isn't as direct and longer, windy twisty about the only people using this route are logging trucks, police and a few locals, so 90% of the time NO TRAFFIC!! :D :D :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I was ecstatic! I could actually use my radio at times and listen to the local weather or music station and not have a constant stream of cars passing inches from my elbow! :mrgreen:

The guy who gave me a ride in his truck had thought that the lack of shoulder and log trucks would have made 202 a very bad choice, but it proved opposite. Even though it's also a 55 MPH zone, half the time you have signs slowing ppl down to 20 or 30 MPH for the winding corners, and it's so quiet you hear them coming, and I managed to develop a rapport with the Loggers, waving as they passed going the opposite way, and when hearing one approach from behind, and I had a place to go, I would get off the road for them.

This worked so well, that I no longer feared them at all, only one of them the entire trip ever passed too close for comfort, and I never felt threatened of being ran off the road. :)

Friday was the best day on the road yet! I made amazing time especially considering that I was ready to call it quits about 1 pm, I rolled into Olney Oregon, at the Olney Store in the early Evening, and I was so elated!

4ce2db8965cd0.image.jpg

The girl at the counter confirmed my final set of directions (Google did have some use after all! :roll: :lol: ) and I was off to Astoria!

I could smell the Ocean, and the roads were getting increasingly friendlier! At this point 202 connects to 101 and the locals are very friendly with rare exception and the Retreat was filled with the most wonderful people you will ever meet!

As I trudged along Hwy 101 I stopped another time to check my directions (and rest after a long hill) and got more confirmation that I was heading the right direction!

At some point in Warrenton (the town nearest Fort Stevens) I hit this mile stone and recorded it! (not a true "century" being done over 2 days, but hey, it was a big accomplishment for me! :wink: )

39108784077_large.jpg

At around 8pm I finally reached my destination!! :D :D :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

img_9018.jpg

Here are some pics of the Retreat! (Not mine, just a link or two from LayZeeDee's album I saw posted on bentrider.com)

http://picasaweb.google.com/101486801025514137400/RecumbentRetreat2011

Here is a pic of my wonderful hosts that shared their camp site with me! (Left to right, Paul, Myself in the back-round and Bev in the fore-ground on her trike ... not the best pic of Paul, but soon I'm sure there will be better pics available.)

DSCN5690.JPG

Ok, So I made it into camp around 8PM, found where I would be setting up my tent, and went to work.

Another happy coincidence was the 2-man tent I had for the trip, a friend of mine saw a lady had set some really nice tents shortly before he and his friends were going on their trip, and since no one was interested in his group, passed it along to me, so after Wednesday bible class, I went by her house and bought a wonderful used but in primo condition REI tent!

picture-21-300x213.png

Mine is nearly identical to the one pictured, just older style.

This tent was for sale at $25!! :shock:

So I didn't pass it up! :D

Well, after getting the tent up, the bags unloaded, it was time to eat, hang-out (there was this amazing pot-luck spread out and I forgot to mention the guy who flagged me down on the way and invited me for some dinner! Sausages never tasted so good cooked on an open fire YUM!!). Fortunately, the showers were free, so I must have spent 45 min. in there! (It was about midnight, and no one else using them, so I figured no one would mind :wink: )

It was so heavenly! It was one of the push-button deals so you had to hit the button every 5 min, but who cares! It was free, and I discovered that the micro fiber towels I got for $3-$4 at Harbor Freight were incredibly useful, I had thought the pack of 4 might be needed to get me dried off, but just one very easily did the trick, just wring it out and it would continue to dry extremely well. :)

In the morning, not having picked up my packet yet, I was busy doing laundry and almost missed all the rides planned for the day, but I managed to join a nice couple heading to Youngs River Falls, and decided since I was there, instead of wimping out on the small 15 mile trip, I would take on the full 40 mile trip and see the falls.

I'm so glad I did!

39108784074_large.jpg

Here also is an interesting "cave" formed under the roots of a tree at the falls:

39108784075_large.jpg

Oh, I almost forgot, on my way into Fort Stevens on the bridge between Astoria and Warrenton, they have this ridiculous sign in the middle of the bay saying "Welcome to Warrenton" kinda cracked me up seeing that while surrounded by the bay. :wink:

39108784078_large.jpg

I also got to meet Brad (I think that is his name) who is the main mechanic at Eco Speed who brought one of the kewlest Rat Rods around that he put together just a few weeks before the event, waaayy kewl! 8)

39108784076_large.jpg

Eco Speed also did a Q&A session at some point and I had no idea!

They have an incredibly well designed mid-drive system including a software driven controller that automatically senses the voltage of the battery attached to it, (between 24- 48V) and it adjusts accordingly.

The maximum out-put of the controller amperage is around 27A.

They further impressed me with the fact that Silvia's "Myrtle the Turtle" has given her about 6,500 trouble free miles on her trike that she tours the US on regularly.

However, what really blew me away was the fact that they now are using thermocouples to monitor the heat in both the motor and controller and will shut down automatically before any damage would occur! 8)

Another innovation is that the chips inside the controller are easily removed and replaced with a user-friendly system that would allow anyone with basic skills to replace a bad chip as easily as replacing the battery in a cell phone, no soldering or electronics training required. :D

They have tested this system going up a 16% grade on motor power alone, with both the rider and a second person sitting on the back! :shock: :twisted:

Also, the controller is made locally in Vancouver WA, and I believe the rest of the components are made locally as well.

Eco Speed is also offering a battery built with headway cells built again with very user friendly "bus bar" construction to allow the disassembly and replacement of a bad cell, or to avoid problems shipping such a battery in smaller components over-seas so that one wouldn't be prevented taking said battery with them on a international tour.

I used to think of their systems as the "Mercedez Benz" of the E-Bike world, but now I think "Rolls Royce" is a better analogy, since this is something that looks to me more like something that would be "military contractor grade" quality, it's not cheap, but it just works, and very efficiently and effectively. :)

I also had the pleasure of being in the Panoramic photo shoot of all the people who came to the Retreat, and it looks like the new pics aren't yet posted, so I will put up a link to last years until this years are available:

http://www.recumbentretreat.org/

On my way back from the falls, I saw this really interesting tree, my father tells me it's called a "Monkey Tree" not sure where it gets that name:

39108784073_large.jpg

Also the next day, on my way to & from church, I took a few pictures in downtown Astoria:

39108784072_large.jpg

Here is the house of one of the "Town Fathers" of Astoria, Captain George Flavel (1823 - 1893)

39108784071_large.jpg

I didn't have too much time Sunday to take pictures, as I had to rush back to clear out of camp, but I did manage to take a picture of the infamous steepest paved road in the USA, 8th street, purported to be 30% grade! (Needless to say, I had NO desire to try going up or down it, but I DID manage to make it up 12th street, which has to be a close second at least 20%!!)

39108784070_large.jpg

The church was more than happy to put me up in the basement of the building, however the gentleman living there was working double shifts at work, so I had to be out early in the morning and he wouldn't return till after dark, but this was much nicer than having to pitch a tent every night!

Monday I was able to do some sight-seeing, and since I heard it on the radio, I thought I would cross the bridge back into Warrenton to check out the Amazon Kindle E-Reader that they have on display, just to see one in person! :)

I met with a guy from Canada on his way down the coast towards San Fransisco. We had about the same weight loaded down on our bikes, but I was glad to have a bike that is so much less affected by the wind while crossing the Astoria - Warrenton bridge and a 14 mph headwind that was gusting up to 28 MPH!

Once at Fred Meyers, I met yet another Canadian who wondered where he might find a Go Pro camera in the local area, I asked if he had checked the sporting goods store in Astoria, but I really wasn't sure, maybe some of the outlet stores at Seaside might.

I really like the E-Ink screen that it uses, and I can imagine having along on trips using the "experimental browser" with the $189 version that has both 3G wireless and Wi-Fi to have the perfect display for google maps and such to help navigate around on tour!

Fred Meyers is as always an extremely bike friendly place and had no problem with my bringing inside my bike which I locked to a pole near the Photo Electronics dept. mainly so it wouldn't present a falling hazard while I got some powdered Gatorade.

I had been using a home made recipe for a sports drink I found on line, and it worked very well:

9 Tbs Sugar
1/2 Cup Orange Juice (Fresh, not concentrate)
3/8 tsp Salt
2 Liters Water (I just used 2 Quarts or there about)

This was very cheap and handy, and kept me from getting the typical headaches I would get in the heat with-out it.

For the trip, I made a super concentrate version using only the OJ and all the dry ingredients into a small plastic container and froze it, which I then put into my insulated lunch bag, and it worked great, I would put one of these into a water bottle and just enough water to fill, and sip it from time to time, and more regularly drink little sips from my Camel Back as I rode.

Next trip I will figure out some form of powdered drink to mix with the dry so I can have a cheaper version of Gatorade that I can pack easier, or that can just be added to OJ as needed.

After that I had lunch on the boardwalk, and managed to get this picture of the trolley passing under the Astoria bridge to Washington State:

39108784069_large.jpg

There are some really interesting houses in Astoria, and this one with an unusual fire escape caught my eye:

39108784067_large.jpg

Next I decided I may as well go visit the Astoria Column, and after a brief sprinkle of rain and a grueling climb up hill, I finally reached it!

39108784066_large.jpg

The climb up to the column is no joke, and especially with a 150lb bike loaded with full touring gear, so I pushed it more than road it going up. I talked to a local gentleman that said he has seen a Nurse that rides up and down, and then up again every day on her bike doing the same climb! :shock:

That same night, the plastic mount for my cycle computer continued to disintegrate further, and fortunately, the guy at the church had several tools handy, and I was able to take some wall flashing and make a new mount for the computer that successfully got me home with out further trouble.

Tuesday Morning I set off to see what taking the path that was recommended by Kurt that would be a much more pleasant experience than HWY 26.

I would be taking HWY 101 to connect to 202 traveling the way I had come most of the way, but instead of riding into Vernonia proper, I would be taking the Vernonia - Banks State Trail instead.

Part of the way up 202 there is a Elk Viewing area where they are fed so visitors can see them (something of a game preserve) and I met another touring bicyclist who had come all the way from Billings Montana! He had a interesting cruiser style bicycle that he had originally bought for his father and decided to use for the tour instead, and being a factory blemish frame (paint blem) he got it dirt cheap from the shop he works at.

I'm going to start bringing more memory cards for my camera, it's really too limiting to have only 24 pictures! Tough to decide what pictures to keep and which to erase.

He also told me about an added plus of the Adventure Cycling Maps, that some of the places listed to stay along the way are people's houses who open their doors to traveling cyclists! That is very good to know, I am even more excited about the prospect of getting going on my way across the US some day knowing that. Of course I will have my new motor soon, so I won't be taking such a risk on long trips like this one and getting hit with crushing fatigue.

On my way to Big Eddy State park, I stumbled upon a Country Museum and there took this picture of a large tree that had been logged way back when:

39108784065_large.jpg

If you are ever cycling through this area, I HIGHLY recommend you camp at Big Eddy! The hiker/biker camp area is spectacular! Free showers again, and huge shade trees cover it, there are trash cans and raised BBQ's with grills and it's not next to a mosquito infested swamp like other places, it's really nice and it's just to the left as you get into the camp, and it's only $7 to stay the night. :)

Well, once again, setting up camp after a long ride (about 55 miles this day IIRC) and doing laundry took it's toll, I was up late, but still hoped to get out of camp at 8-9AM Wednesday morning, well, too much to do, and the damp early morning slowed things down, not to mention riding every day was catching up with me, I didn't leave camp till around noon, but all my laundry was dry, and using my micro fiber towels, I was able to quickly wipe down and dry the rain fly on the tent pack everything up and get down the road in the high 80's low 90's weather.

Going down 202 about 5 miles I saw the Welcome to Vernonia sign, crossed the bridge, and there on the left was the old mill pond with the beginnings of the Vernonia - Banks State trail! So I filled up on water, made a pit stop, and couldn't have a more ideal route even in the heat of the day.

Here's a pic of the pond:

39108784064_large.jpg

And some of the trail:

39108784063_large.jpg

By this time the days of riding were slowing me down quite a bit, but the nice quiet and covered trail was a welcome relief to watching for Logging trucks and hoping the various other drivers would notice me and give me breathing room.

This path was immaculate! I'm sure this is mostly due to the fact that soon the Hood to Coast run will be coming through it days after I have used it, and even most of the pot holes have been patched!

There were also plenty of out-houses along the trail once about every 5 miles or so of the 20 some mile trail.

One unseen hazard that I literally ran into were the small rail road tie brides.

Most of the bridges that were of any length were very easy on the tires with just a minor raised transition from path to bridge like this one:

39108784062_large.jpg

However, barreling down the path at about 23 MPH (yes I know this isn't terribly fast usually, but with 330lbs of bike & rider on a narrow path, it's as fast as I dared to go) I hit one of these little bridges and really scared myself that I might have damaged a rim or something, given that the short bridges have a "ramp" that is at least 45 DEG and 4-5 inches high, but upon inspection, no damage at all to tire or wheel, and even now that I have been home and able to really give a thorough once over on the bike, the wheels are still true even thought I hit several unexpected pot holes and such on logging roads along the way! 8)

Not all of the path was ideal however, at one point there is a huge drop with such steep switch-backs over such a short distance, I wondered who had designed this! It even had signs warning bicyclists to stop and walk their bikes (I of course didn't as my drum and disc brakes never wavered even on the insane roads in Astoria) I was aware that the drum got quite hot however, and was careful not to put on the parking brake lever when it was hot.

I later bumped into a family riding the trail going the other way, and the father explained to me that there had been a trestle in bad repair that had been removed from this old abandoned railroad, so there was one portion that required a good bike pushing up the other side for myself and two other riders I saw there. :oops: :roll: :mrgreen:

Fortunately THIS trestle which I have just learned is called the Buxton Trestle was still intact! :D

http://www.oregonstateparks.org/park_145.php

BV_Buxton_Trestle_scenic.jpg

And here are my own pictures of the same trestle:

39108784061_large.jpg

39108784060_large.jpg

All told, it was a wonderful experience! Even when I got to Banks and had to return to the world of HWY's with cars buzzing me, only a short jaunt down 47 and I was able to turn off onto Greenville Rd and follow down various country roads with little to no traffic, few hills and as my radio was reminding me, today was "free pie Wednesday" at Sheri's restaurant, and my next goal was to hit the Oregon City Sheri's! :p :mrgreen:

Sadly, it was starting to get dark as I traveled along HWY 8 through Hillsboro and again someone was watching out for me, as this is a very busy road, and somehow my rear red blinkers which I ALWAYS have flashing day and night, did not manage to get turned on! :shock:

Fortunately even though for the portion of riding through traffic before a bike path starts up on Tualatin Valley HWY (still a part of HWY 8) I spied a Sheri's from the road and decided 287 miles was enough, and since I was only 30 miles from home, and it was getting dark, that I would call home and get a ride.

Here is my new favorite Burger from Sheri's! It's called the Trail Boss! "The burger* named after the leader of the famous cattle drives! This Bull of a Burger comes piled high with Ham, Bacon, Swiss and Cheddar cheese, our special sauce and topped with a fried egg*. "

39108784059_large.jpg

nice story so far and glad you kept on going.. funny how time's it only takes the slightest nudge to influence someone in a positive manner.

Also, I have yet to receive my new motor from Golden Motor, so this was strictly a pedal power only operation
So you were CHEATING! Pedal only with no motor just doesn't seem right. :D

Good to hear the trip worked out okay. Are you planning to go back again next year?

Rassy said:
Also, I have yet to receive my new motor from Golden Motor, so this was strictly a pedal power only operation
So you were CHEATING! Pedal only with no motor just doesn't seem right. :D

Good to hear the trip worked out okay. Are you planning to go back again next year?

LOL!! Yes you're right, going up 20% grades and even steeper in Astoria is JUST NOT RIGHT with out a motor!! :shock: :shock:

I tell ya, even though I got there later than planned and missed some of the events, I still had BLAST!

Soon I will post some pics of Youngs Town Falls (the 40 mile trip) I managed to get into a ride with some other late arrivals and really had a good time, I almost wimped out thinking to myself I should take it easy, but hey, what's a 40 mile trip with next to no hills when you have been doing 50-60 mile trips with loads of hills! :lol:

Paul and Bev were nice enough to let me share their camp site, and it was a perfect match, we had so much in common, Paul had an Ipad with this amazingly eclectic yet kewl mix of music (everything from Opera to Thrash Metal played on electrified Cellos!) with a bunch of classic 80's music that I love, and we got along great!

Next year I will have it motorized and then I will attempt going up 8th street! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Any motor that can climb the steepest grade in the US should have no problem anywhere else! 8)

I haven't confirmed it yet, but someone said it was a 30% grade! :shock: :shock: :D :D

ohzee said:
nice story so far and glad you kept on going.. funny how time's it only takes the slightest nudge to influence someone in a positive manner.

Yes you are so right, I wasn't so much as having a bad day as I was just realizing how much danger I was putting myself into on HWY 26 that it really wasn't worth it anymore.

If not for that person being put into my life to encourage me right then and there, I would have missed out on a really great trip. :)

edcastrovalley said:
Awesome trip Li-ghtcycle! I always liked the American NorthWest. Lots of large interesting photos including the hamburger. :D

Thanks! :mrgreen:

I would have taken a pic of the free pie too, but I didn't want any evidence! :oops: :p

StudEbiker said:
Good story telling. Maybe I'll be there next year.

If you can, it's well worth the trip IMO, just don't ride every day like I did if you can, better to ride two days take one off or you'll be dead tired for a while after! :wink:

This thread of LI-ghtcycle's is almost a year old, but several other ES members that have attended the Recumbent Retreat in the past also give it high praise. So I have made my reservations and my friend Bob and I are going to haul our trikes up to Fort Stevens State Park in August. We will be there from Friday the 17th through Sunday the 19th.

In addition to LI-ghtcycle, I hope to see Herrsprocket, mi7d1, and sylviahalpern (Myrtle the Turtle). Maybe StudEbiker, who expressed an interest last year.

Anyone else from Oregon or Washington thinking of going? Always enjoy meeting ES folks and this would be a good place to meet up and see lots of interesting recumbents.

Back