Rochester Institute of Technology-Electric Drag Race

Use this forum to post up events, rally, conventions, get-together, etc. for anything related to the e-vehicle world (e-bike, car, motorcycle, etc). Guest may post replies to topics without the need to register. All topics here expire after 1 year of inactivity.

Re: Rochester Institute of Technology-Electric Drag Race

Postby Lock » Wed Nov 09, 2011 1:41 pm

OK. Read the rules... Looks like we're going ultra-light. Electric motor and batt pack as a winch like the steam catapult on an aircraft carrier... You'll need to erect a safety net at the end of the course to catch the missile...errr electric vehicle. Proper shape of drum on high speed winch should bring on G forces gradually... errr... hopefully. Probably should just go with a professional guinea pi... errr driver. Again, Good Luck!

l0cK
If you like this message feel free to donate BeerCoins (BTC) to:
1LxAXWmbjY6SeMf8r9HHhSKt6pWyPvWg6L

Toronto Electric Riders Association:
http://www.ebikeriders.com/
Canada, eh?
Lock
10 GW
10 GW

Postby grindz145 » Wed Nov 09, 2011 1:47 pm

liveforphysics wrote: I wish you could use my last race bike for it, you would be trapping over 100mph, and 0-60mph faster than most sportbikes.

First thing that came to mind. I might be building something that will also serve my needs after the race too, so it might be a bit different. I'm on the fence about 2wd 5304s or Agni....
grindz145
1 GW
1 GW

Postby liveforphysics » Wed Nov 09, 2011 1:51 pm

grindz145 wrote:
liveforphysics wrote: I wish you could use my last race bike for it, you would be trapping over 100mph, and 0-60mph faster than most sportbikes.

First thing that came to mind. I might be building something that will also serve my needs after the race too, so it might be a bit different. I'm on the fence about 2wd 5304s or Agni....

Methy has a brand new Perm 132 for a reasonable price. :-) 600amps at 80v through a PERM will go pretty hard for a drag pass. And make a peppy commuter.
Ebikes.ca

My bicycle completes the standing quarter mile in 11.502seconds at 110.56mph.

Giving my time to the electric revolution is done with pleasure. It is no longer fashionable to spit carcinogenic combustion by products in peoples faces as a part of sating daily transport.

Every post is in honor to the free idea exchange that Justin le preserved to grow with an amazingly high quality content in what is the living bleeding edge of LEV development.
liveforphysics
100 GW
100 GW

Postby grindz145 » Wed Nov 09, 2011 2:01 pm

liveforphysics wrote:
grindz145 wrote:

Methy has a brand new Perm 132 for a reasonable price. :-) 600amps at 80v through a PERM will go pretty hard for a drag pass. And make a peppy commuter.

Yes! Only 80V? Don't think I can spin it up?

I'm PMing him now...
grindz145
1 GW
1 GW

Postby grindz145 » Wed Nov 09, 2011 2:09 pm

Actually lied... after checking bank acct (DOPE) I have a shitload of hubmotors I can unload for cash though :twisted:
grindz145
1 GW
1 GW

Postby amberwolf » Wed Nov 09, 2011 2:20 pm

To me, "commercial vehicle" means something with "commercial" tags. To them, it probably means you have to scratchbuild your vehicle, or at least use only parts from commercially *available* vehicles (prebuilt ones) rather than simply installing the electric drive into the pre-existing vehicle. Someone will have to clarify that with them, before being disappointed come race day.

Satellite map of it shows there is indeed some distance beyond it of road, but it's not straight--there are buildings potentially in the path of stopping (at least part of one sticks out right at the finish line!).

Somebody might want to point out to the race officials that this is going to be a problem for their faster racers. ;)

QuarterMileRace.JPG
(94.77 KiB) Downloaded 3 times
Got a question that isn't personal or private? Post it in the forums, don't PM it. ;)

Wiki your techy info so it doesn't get old, lost and icky:
http://endless-sphere.com/w

Full-Suspension Semi Recumbent Cargo Bike - NuVinci MidDrive
Semi-Recumbent Recycled-Parts Cargo eBike: "CrazyBike2"
DayGlo Avenger, MkII

House Fire Updates Thread
amberwolf
100 GW
100 GW

Location: Phoenix, AZ, USA, Earth, Sol, Local Bubble, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Local Group

Postby grindz145 » Wed Nov 09, 2011 2:26 pm

amberwolf wrote:Somebody might want to point out to the race officials that this is going to be a problem for their faster racers. ;)

QuarterMileRace.JPG

My plan is to just let it happen, and blow everyone away :twisted:
grindz145
1 GW
1 GW

Postby Jay64 » Wed Nov 09, 2011 3:07 pm

You just need to build something that has decent steering while hard on the brakes.
Johnson64.Com "The stone age didn't end because we ran out of stones."
EV Bikes:
'13 Zero S 11.4kwh.
GS500, ME0913, Sevcon Size 6 Controller, 90v40ah Lipo, GSXR suspension..
'87 Hurricane 600, ME0709, 48v/50a SLA, Kelly KD72400, Magura Throttle, High Current Cycle Analyst.
http://www.evalbum.com/2275
Raleigh beach cruiser: 9C rear hub, stock controller, 48v10ah lithium, Cycle Analyst.
Phat Chopper: 9C front hub, stock controller, 48v12ah a123s, Cycle Analyst.
Jay64
1 GW
1 GW

Postby grindz145 » Wed Nov 09, 2011 3:38 pm

Jay64 wrote:You just need to build something that has decent steering while hard on the brakes.

Yeah Amen to that. Telelever front end? :mrgreen:
grindz145
1 GW
1 GW

Postby zombiess » Sat Nov 12, 2011 1:24 am

So this is only limited to RIT students faculty and teams. I guess a team of a student could have multiple vehicles right?

Luke your suidcycle would teach them a thing or two about electric power + drag racing. For some reason people always think electric = slow and drag racing = easy.
Greyborg Warp Frame with Greyborg Cromotor aka "Monster Bike", 24 FET IRFB4115 EB324 Top Speed 42MPH (75V)
Greyborg Hub Motor, ZombieSS 24FET/36FET IRFB4115, Customized full suspension kids MTB. Top Speed 61 MPH (125V)
9C 8x8, 24S2P LiPo, Lyen 12 FET, Diamondback Recoil Comp. Top Speed 42 MPH (100V)
Greyborg USA/Canada Dealer, Frame kits + motor in stock now http://www.greyborgusa.com
zombiess
100 MW
100 MW

Return to E-vents