10th Dec: Melbourne Australia ride and social chat

Samd

10 MW
Hey folks,
I am keen to get a group of ebikers together in Victoria, AU somewhere maybe once a month or so, take a ride, meet new ebikers, build a small presence regarding ebikes without attracting any opposition or crazy folk. Quietly promote it as a legitimate gap filler outside of cars/bikes/motorbikes (It's somewhere in there right?).

I propose Sat morning 10th December for starters. Family friendly. All kinds of bikes and rigs but suggest that we start with flat easy riding to include all comers and we behave ourselves to keep the scene nice.

Family friendly, kids welcome, no machismo.

It would be a chance to take an easy 5 or 10k ride, stop somewhere for a drink, check out other rides and chew the fat. Then head home around lunch.

I'd need to train it over from Ballarat to meet up and ride. So I propose leaving from Southern Cross station for this meetup.
I know 'bugger all' about where is a good place for a group to ride in Melbourne, as not sure as to a cafe/bar we could stop at to get off the bike and chat without cramping the style of the the lycra crowd.

Anyone interested? Want to propose a route? Know anyone else who might be interested?

Great idea Sam i wish you best of luck organizing a ride, we have some great fun on the group
rides here in W.A i urge all those in Melbourne to get involved, its fantastic meeting and
talking face to face with people with similar interests...

KiM

Great idea Sam. Count me in.

If we start in the city, I say we head through Port Melbourne and take a ride along the bay. Maybe a refreshment in St Kilda.

I'll be riding in from Eastern Suburbs, so if anyone else is coming in from that way lets meet up and head in together.

- Adrian

I like the bay idea.
Another suggestion from member full-throttle:
http://www.bv.com.au/general/bikes-and-riding/43792/

30 km too long? Maybe a segment? If not at least I have time to add another 5.8amphrs to my 11.6 lipos I guess...

He can't make it, good excuse to have another in that case...

Nice suggest full_throttle. Pretty scenic ride. Abbottsford Convent is actually a decent place to have a break (good beer and food plus a market).

I am okay with 30km round trip, see what others think.

Main thing is to lock in a date, and who is interested.

Let's lock in the tenth, at 10.45 am. My train will arrive at 10.30 - hopefully!
I know full-throttle can make that day, maybe with a mate.

With the date locked in we can then focus on planning our route.
Let's meet right here on the footpath away from the door:
http://maps.google.com.au/maps?q=Southern+Cross+Station,+Docklands,+Victoria&hl=en&ll=-37.818319,144.953857&spn=0.001661,0.004128&sll=-25.335448,135.745076&sspn=59.960265,135.263672&vpsrc=6&hnear=Southern+Cross+Station,+Docklands+Victoria+3008&t=m&z=19&layer=c&cbll=-37.818088,144.953619&panoid=iddaU5i82zTcEW5FwGK3Qw&cbp=12,244.33,,0,0

There is a nice big section there to accumulate on the footpath off to the right without annoying the peds. Or the feds.

We'll might have a bike trailer and two kids in the back - is the city loop hilly? Maybe beachside would be flatter?

I'd be interested in a ride/get together in Melbourne. I won't be able to make the one in Dec as I have other commitments , but any future ones I'll come along.

Cheers
Stuart

Got me a third 5.8 Ahr pack for both bikes today, so 30km might not be out of reach with a trailer on one. Anyone want to suggest a Port Melbourne route or will we lock in the Yarra Trail as suggested above?

SD

Another rider from Vic confirmed - ElectricEd. Thanks Ed!

I like FullThrottle's suggested route. I've done some bits of it in the past. There's plenty of places for views and cuppas so make sure you bring a thermos or cooker with you. I'll cook up a batch of muffins and bring a Trangia.
Let's hope that the weather is good. My new battery box has not been waterproofed yet.

Yep. Another thumbs up for the Yarra path. I say lets lock it in.

Done!

If my wife and I run low on LiPo we'll just unhitch the kids' trailer. They'll grow up strong :p

Lets just work out what range people have, then plan the route accordingly.

The yarra trail should be a relatively sedate pace as it is fairly bendy, and will have others on it. So I should be good for 50kms +.

Agreed. And plenty of train stations handy in the worst case, though prob not needed.

Great idea, but not sure if I can commit due work. My battery is showing its age so I'm only getting about 25 - 30kms range. Bayside or Yarra trail are both good choices. Could also consider Port Melbourne & then take the punt across and on to Williamstown for cafe stop. T

Timbo said:
Great idea, but not sure if I can commit due work. My battery is showing its age so I'm only getting about 25 - 30kms range. Bayside or Yarra trail are both good choices. Could also consider Port Melbourne & then take the punt across and on to Williamstown for cafe stop. T

I prob would have come if my bike was running. but have fun everyone! :D

I'll be there. I'm thinking if We met at Federation Square in front of the big screen it would be easy to find each other with plenty of roon so we wouldn't block the footpath like at Southern Cross. Flinders St station is across the road & the Yarra trail nearby. See you all there!

AussieRider.

I'll be there. I'm thinking if We met at Federation Square in front of the big screen it would be easy to find each other with plenty of roon so we wouldn't block the footpath like at Southern Cross. Flinders St station is across the road & the Yarra trail nearby. See you all there!

AussieRider.

Great idea guys. Unfortunately I'll going to have to give it a miss due to me being out of town for that weekend. That yarra area is my neck of the woods too.

I'll be keeping an eye on this thread for future meet ups.

Have fun.

A splendid idea!
Fullthrottle brought this to my attention (thanks mate!) and I would like to join in if I can get a bike going in time...

With a week and a bit to go here is the final plan:

10.45 Depart Southern Cross from the location in the google link posted earlier (may just be me.)
11.00 Meet Fed Square in front of the big screen (I will be the silly looking bald guy on a black Aprilia)
11.15 Depart Fed Square along the north bank of Yarra, 13km leg to Abbotsford (heaps of time)
12.00 Meet for lunch at Abbotsford Convent. Anyone out of batteries can get the train.
1.15 Depart Convent. 9km leg to Melbourne Zoo
1.45 Meet Melb Zoo (suggestions where). Anyone out of batteries can get the train.
2.00 Depart zoo for another 9km leg to Docklands.
2.30 Meet up for a drink at Docklands or shoot through. I will be planning at least one beer by then before getting the train back to Ballarat later.

Anyone know clear spot where the trail meets the zoo in case we split up? No biggie.

Anyone know a good spot in Docklands with bike room to meet up after? Or we can wing it.

If you want to print a copy of the route notes here you go:
http://www.bv.com.au/media/vanilla/file/paths-trails/Capital%20City%20Trail%20map.pdf

Just joined. I live in Melbourne western suburb. Melbourne Ebike group great idea. Unfortunately can't make this ride.
Look forward to next.

Sent using Endless-Sphere Mobile app

Back