Death race in Australia? or something like it?

nechaus

100 kW
I have been trying to find somewhere i can take my bike on a road track and race other ebikes or petrol bikes.
Does anyone know of anything like this in Australia or Brisbane ?

you mean an electric bike race?
there is one in newcastle, first one was last year, its on a gokart track, but you can go as fast as you like.

Well i just spoke to morgan park raceway.

A few things that we would require
- Public liability insurance. I am not exactly sure how to do this just yet as iv never raced on a raceway b4.
-the cost for a half a day event would be around 3k to 4k, so it would cost us if we got 30 people, pp min of $100 to $133 + insurance.

maybe we could get a few aussie ebike companies involved to help with the cost.

id personally pay 200 + to race for half a day on a proper track against other ebikes or petrol bikes like 250 cc

if you come to the newcastle race, all the costs are already taken care of by the sponsors ( csiro, newcastle uni etc)
its actually a distance race, but on the day there is plenty of opportunity to go up against electric motorbikes,
but it is for electric powered vehicles.

Is that the hunter valley ev thang?

I read that they don't allow lipo. Which is understandable from an insurance point of view but might rule out a few potential competeters.

I'm still intending to go and watch though.

when is the one in newcastle?

i land in brisbane w/in the month but won't have a car, anyone willing to ride-share to this event?

would luv to take my bike to participate but just happy to be a spectator.

theres two different sections, the distance race ( lipo were used last year), and demonstration part, its pretty flexible,
the day before race there is a festival and the ev's go on show, you can organise to race someone the day before, or on the day,
even contact the organisers make a suggestion, the event has only been on once, they are keen to get people involved and I think very flexible, especially on race day at the track. The more the merrier.

Sounds good, i just had a look at the site, i think ill go, book a place somewhere and stay for the night.
I would not enter the normal race because but id watch and ride along with them if i could,

whatever said:
theres two different sections, the distance race ( lipo were used last year), and demonstration part, its pretty flexible.
Cool, if lipo is allowed I'd be keen to attend. Banning lipo is like having a running race but saying people who are fit can't enter!
I imagine I'd enter the race Jeremy Clarkson style - blast around the track with insane power and speed, lapping everyone only to run out of juice 5 minutes later while the rest of the pack keeps dribbling around for the next 2 hours :lol:

I was reading about this last year but was too sick to attend, hopefully this time I can make it. And hopefully I'd have a few bikes to show off too. It'd be cool to get a good ES contingent showing up.
Road trip ? :p

That event sounds interesting, but $200 limit on battery and 5kg max weight = ouch. Someone should get a light nimble bike with a small friction drive on it and go to town :) Not sure where to get the battery from as it has to be a normal seller and RC type Lipo is banned for the race event

90min race with a $200 battery......lots of pedaling........

dont worry about the race just go in as a demonstration vehicle and organise with some others day before to be on track at same time........and let loose, its a very hilly track with very tight corners, some of the hills are quite steep but very short.
Theres a good long straight but its mainly tight corners.

hah, no pedalling, no lipo, <$200 and <5kg. So the weight rules out SLA and the price rules out just about everything else. WTF are you supposed to propel the bike with ? Is there a limit to how many cans of baked beans you're allowed to eat the night before ? :lol:

whatever said:
dont worry about the race just go in as a demonstration vehicle and organise with some others day before to be on track at same time........and let loose, its a very hilly track with very tight corners, some of the hills are quite steep but very short.
Theres a good long straight but its mainly tight corners.
Cool that sounds good, I'd be happy to go in as a "demonstration vehicle" and if the guy along side can ride faster than me then good for him :wink:
Hopefully I have my custom frames built by then so will actually have something to demonstrate.

Hyena said:
It'd be cool to get a good ES contingent showing up.
Road trip ? :p

Well i will be taking "the millenium volkswagen".. Fill 'er up??

Probably leave sydney early sat morn, stay "somewhere" sat night....home sun night.

Hobbit said:
Well i will be taking "the millenium volkswagen".. Fill 'er up??
Sounds good! I hear she made the Hunter run in less than 12 parsecs :p

Looking through the info on the race it seems the rules they have in place for this year are alot more restrictive than last year. The pics show alot of the teams using SLAs (which would be heavier than 5kg) and the winner last year was using lipo I believe. Banning lipo on the risk of fire and explosion is a stupid and and outdated view especially considering an event like this is supposed to be promoting moving forward with EVs.
And even if there was a crash on the track and one caught fire whats the worst that could happen ? stop the race for 5 minutes then go pick up the still glowing remains with garden gloves :roll: Every other motor racing event has frequent fires and they don't cry about it. I might bring up old lipo packs up and do some liveforphysics style demonstrations to show how stable these packs really are and that they're being a bunch of nancies.

Hyena said:
hah, no pedalling, no lipo, <$200 and <5kg. So the weight rules out SLA and the price rules out just about everything else. WTF are you supposed to propel the bike with ? Is there a limit to how many cans of baked beans you're allowed to eat the night before ? :lol:
Right on the money there Hyena , Here`s a pic of last years winner .

http://www.joe-ks.com/archives_may2006/1sttHybridMotorcycle.jpg

[youtube]pKW4cxSgD3g[/youtube]

ooh yeah, that is a gnarly cart...Newcastle will never be the same.

Back