Awesome electric racing footage from this weekend's TTXGP!

I just finished putting this video together, you guys will love the racing here!

Enjoy!

[youtube]7UZtUVhj5pg[/youtube]

liveforphysics said:
I just finished putting this video together, you guys will love the racing here!

Enjoy!

[youtube]7UZtUVhj5pg[/youtube]

Thanks Luke. :wink:

Doc

ohzee said:
yea that was awesome.. loved the sounds of the bikes.

Yeah, what is that noise ? To me it sounds a bit like the old electric forklift where I
used to work in the summer when I was still a student. Is it the rattling of the motor
laminations (same as 'transformer hum') ? Or, assuming sine wave controllers are used,
higher order harmonics from the back-emf ?

nicobie said:
Thanks Luke.

Any idea of top speeds?

92-93mph down the straights in a tuck.

The noise is the harmonics of the belt. It's very quiet in person, but the go-pro's seem to really pick up the sound well.

Another sound you rarely get to hear in a motorcycle race is the scraping of the knee pucks when they touch the ground in turns, which is much louder than our bikes and really stands out in an electric race, yet in gas bike racing I've never heard it.

JennyB said:
Some interesting tucking styles. I wonder what difference an aero bar would make?

The riders were super competitive, and soon discovered the arm back, head tucked against shoulder position was worth about a ~2mph advantage going down the straights. I have no doubt an aero bar could further improve on things. This racing class is for stock un-performance modified bikes though, which is how it kept the racing so well matched and exciting.

binlagin said:
I want to ride one of those bikes!

They are available to buy at dealers all around the country. You could even ride to the track on the street, take your turn signals and licence plate off, go race your heart out, and ride home. :)

liveforphysics said:
They are available to buy at dealers all around the country. You could even ride to the track on the street, take your turn signals and licence plate off, go race your heart out, and ride home. :)

I just sold my track CBR to support my ebike addiction.

liveforphysics said:
...The riders were super competitive, and soon discovered the arm back, head tucked against shoulder position was worth about a ~2mph advantage going down the straights.

Ha ha ha... and here I thought he was waving at the guys behind him! :oops:

Great video! How far things have come in a very short time.

bigmoose said:
liveforphysics said:
...The riders were super competitive, and soon discovered the arm back, head tucked against shoulder position was worth about a ~2mph advantage going down the straights.

Ha ha ha... and here I thought he was waving at the guys behind him! :oops:

Great video! How far things have come in a very short time.

They sometimes did take advantage of the aero hand position to taunt and gesture. :)

Some track photographer got a SICK picture of one of our riders dragging knee on the ground with one hand behind his back. So, he is totally hanging off the bike with the bike leaned over to the limit, and one hand tucked behind his back. Those guys are much better riders than I am! If my knee is near the ground, I NEED both hands on the bars. lol Electrics with no clutch or shifting do give some otherwise not-possible riding positions over gas bikes though. :) I would have loved to see them planking down the straights with boots pointed out behind them all the way down, but I think they were worried it would have hit the kill switch on the rear plastics of the bike (TTXGP requires a safety kill switch there).

Yep planking!

I love this pix of Rolli Free, a blast from the past! Just needed to pointe his toes downstream more. :wink:

bigmoose said:
Yep planking!

I love this pix of Rolli Free, a blast from the past! Just needed to pointe his toes downstream more. :wink:

That guy is a bad-ass. Automatic entry to Luke's exclusive list of folks who I consider to be bad asses.

bigmoose said:
Yep planking!

Looks like he forgot to shave his body hair for that record.....prolly could have increased top speed by 5mph ! A stiffy might have gained him an additional 3mph :lol:

Great vid Luke, thanks for sharing!

bigmoose said:
Yep planking!

LOL I used to do that on my v30 magna in the spring/fall because it was warmer lol.

baahh! planking!

It's pretty awesome to see guys really pushing the tall supermoto/enduros by drafting like crazy. Serious riding.

Here's some of mine, including some of Luke's bike

www.youtube.com/user/frodus17

(at work, can't embed right now)

Back