2012 Bicycle of Doom races with motorcycles on Laguna Seca!

This was one of the most fun days of my life. :)

Had to hard wire the charger into the tracks 220v breaker panel.

DSC_4241.JPG

Long boring riders meeting telling newbs a bunch of newb stuff.

DSC_4285.JPG

Waiting in the line for the electric cars to finish racing...
IMG_7149.JPG

Woot! On track!

DSC_5494.JPG

The corkscrew is my favorite corner of any racetrack I've tried in the world. :)
DSC_5200.JPG

Mmmm! I love the feeling like you're falling off a cliff and still need to make a corner. It's just riding bliss.

Luke%2520corkscrew%2520crop.jpg

More rippin!

DSC_5493.JPG

Checking ES while waiting in the time trial que. lol

DSC_5668.JPG

This picture has about 2/3rds of the electric bikes that were racing, many folks were all ready packed up when they took this shot.

DSC_5692.JPG

This is a great crew of folks I have the honor of working with and racing with. :)
DSC_5761.JPG

Here are some pictures of some of the electric motorcycles that were racing with me.

DSC_5600.JPG

DSC_5606.JPG

This is my buddy Jamie. He is riding a Zero MX that he modded himself (borrowing a controller from Methods). He was the 2nd fastest motorcycle at Laguna! Only the Brammo bike was faster.
jamie%2520leg%2520out.JPG

jamie%2520hand%2520look.JPG

This is my buddy Trevor. He is a ripper!

Trev.JPG

This was the fastest bike at Laguna, it's Brammo's TTXGP bike, and it flys.

Steve%2520Atlas.JPG

Stock Zero XU even did great on Laguna!
Solame.JPG

Ryan%2520tuck.JPG

Ryan%2520thumbs.JPG

My buddy Jamie rippin on deathbike :)
Jamie%2520deathbike.JPG

DSC_5655.JPG

DSC_5407.JPG

DSC_5399.JPG

DSC_5393.JPG

DSC_5036.JPG

DSC_5026.JPG

DSC_5013.JPG

This is my buddy Electric Cowboy, and he as riding that Zero like a champ! Knee down!
Cowboy.JPG

voicecoils said:
Great photos, looks like a blast!

Did your ebike collide with an Aprillia front end and you rode away with it? :lol:

3300651143_af273b7621_z.jpg

Good guess. :) I crashed into one of these and rode away with it's front end. :)

rs_250.jpg

Here is a quicky video of some racing action.

[youtube]xomCjSPJt_k[/youtube]

It's hard not to look at those pics of riding bliss and grin at you with your tongue out..

That bike sure looks mean.. Love how tough that front tire looks.

I can see the power to weight ratio advantage you had, you kicked em out of the corners very well!

What an awesome track! It has been burned into my head from years playing Gran Turismo. I would love to race it one day.

So whats next? Fairings? New frame with different weight bias?

Awesome number "plate"!

Looks like a lot of fun!

Cool man :) So.... methods controller??? WHat controller did methods build thats the second only to brammo???

That corkscrew is crazy! :twisted: I remember seeing a motoGP race where some rather brave riders would overtake going thru there! :shock:

Arlo1 said:
Cool man :) So.... methods controller??? WHat controller did methods build thats the second only to brammo???

1200A kelly. Dual agni motors. Brammo's lap was something like 1:40, Jamie's was 2:00

This event was freaking awesome. I had so much fun hanging out and driving my kart around. Thanks to Luke and the Zero crew, for sure :)

absolutely awesome photos! best day of your life? wow. that is totally amazing. congrats.

nice to see the fork/brake upgrade! it was awesome to talk to you about it and racing in general on the last podcast, while you were just starting the work! if you've not heard luke, you should give it a listen. hilarious guy with infectious good humor. :D

acuteaero said:
Arlo1 said:

1200A kelly. Dual agni motors. Brammo's lap was something like 1:40, Jamie's was 2:00

This event was freaking awesome. I had so much fun hanging out and driving my kart around. Thanks to Luke and the Zero crew, for sure :)

I'm guessing you were taking all those excellent photos? Where is this kart man? Did you drive it around the track?

Luke, amazing video, I'm hoping to make it up for one of these Laguna Seca events, although I'm partial to the twisty kart tracks for obvious reasons. :lol:

Was PaulD anywhere to be seen?

Just as a fun benchmark, my TT laptime was 2minutes 13seconds. The track is 2.38miles per lap. That makes my average speed over the course of the lap 64.4mph. :)

Luke you cheater! Using motorcycle fork and front tire.

Dont you miss your beloved flexy fork?

I soooo do not miss that badly abused worn out flexy fork and the fade-o-matic brake.

This was the first time I've raced this bicycle where I felt like when I needed to slow/stop, it would consistently be agreeable to the idea.

Its a lot of weight penalty to carry. I could really feel how much slower it accelerates with that big heavy wheel. But it felt so much safer and more solid to ride at >100mph speeds that it was worth it for this track.

Here is an awesome video of my buddy Jamie ridding the 2011 Zero MX he modded for road racing. You guys will love this action.

[youtube]nLYkFwyIUAY[/youtube]

Is Jamie an ex-dirt-bike racer?
Just looking at how he slips his nuts onto the tank (moves weight forward over the handlebars) and puts out a foot on the turns :mrgreen: as well as the boots, looks like Motocross racing techniques :)

etard said:
I'm guessing you were taking all those excellent photos? Where is this kart man? Did you drive it around the track?

Luke, amazing video, I'm hoping to make it up for one of these Laguna Seca events, although I'm partial to the twisty kart tracks for obvious reasons. :lol:

Was PaulD anywhere to be seen?

These photos are not mine- not sure who's they are- there were several people shooting- I built the kart on a whim starting 2 weeks before the event- pulled it off with a little help from my friends :) I'll make a thread when I get a chance to take some decent pictures of it :) Karts ended up being given exactly 2 laps on track... not enough!

I love that video of Jamie's riding. That man is total gangster and has got skills! Nice off-track expeditions. Means you're doing it right. :p Fast bike, too. Was the camera rolling when he offloaded the smoking battery pack? That I'd like to see!

Brammo had a couple mechanics or engineers (Brian W and one or two others?) and their rider Steve Atlas- If PaulD was there he was being extremely shy :p

acuteaero said:
Brammo had a couple mechanics or engineers (Brian W and one or two others?) and their rider Steve Atlas- If PaulD was there he was being extremely shy :p

Wish I could have made it down! Looks like a sooo much fun. I'm fully jealous. Next year!
Hey Luke, can we officially call death bike a motorcycle now that it has the Honda front end and motorcycle tires? I want to be able to tell people that I beat a motorcycle when we race in September :twisted:

Back