Gold Coast Qld meet - Friday 27th March

Hyena

10 GW
Hey guys,
I'll be up on the gold coast this year for my annual work conference and in keeping with tradition I thought I'd try and organise a meet up and group ride with with the ES locals. I know there's a few of you on the gold coast and surrounding areas so if you're free and wanna say g'day Sunday afternoon on the 29th I'm free from 3pm.

I actually fly in on Friday the 27th so if you're not working that'd be an option too.
I won't be able to bring any of my own bikes with me so the group ride thing will rely on me borrowing some wheels :wink:

Anyone keen ?

No firm plans yet, I fly in about 9:30, will drop my gear off at my hotel near the convention centre and then be good to go from then.
I'm open to any suggestions from the locals. Maybe meet up around 11, go for a ride where ever and then have lunch somewhere ?
This is of course assuming someone has some wheels I can borrow!

Not much, I have to many things in pieces due to a few delays with work and having to replace my car. But I am sure we can find something to do for abit on Friday, not capable of providing wheels unless you want to rebuild a battery pack lol. I have a nice big black chopper bike that i really need to put back together, maybe able to get 2 bikes running for Sunday if i work hard. :mrgreen:

I ll get to work and see what i can get up and running. If you have one of those 6S charger over the balance leads lying around feel free to bring it with you, I am actually looking to buy another one soon and it will make getting a bike or 2 up and running easier. :)

haha you're as bad as me. I've got a garage full of bikes in various states of completion but only one single working bike as I'm always too busy working on other peoples bikes to fix my own up!
Got any "old tech" motorbikes ? I'll settle for those too :p

I dont have any of the balance tap chargers on hand unfortunately. I've stopped using them now since moving primarily to 18650 packs with BMSs

I guess if we can't sort something by tomorrow we'll have to give it a miss - I've really only got Friday free until mid afternoon :|

Awesome! Thanks mate!
I expect it's probably a bright pink girls bike, but that's cool :lol:

So given this is in under 24 hours now we probably should make some arrangements!
I'm staying at the Meriton Broadbeach which is conveniently directly opposite the police station so ensure everyone has their 200w stickers on :p
Should we meet out the front of there or somewhere else near by ?
I'll be on foot so preferably not tooo far away. Matt, is there a way to get my loaner bike here ?

EDIT: I just realised I was originally talking about doing this Sunday but we're now talking Friday. Are we all on the same page ?

amberwolf said:
With tassels.

Long sparkly one's. :D

I can easily get down to Broadbeach, but getting the extra bike there is logistically problematic as I'll be on my ebike.

I could pick you up in the car and bring you here to Labrador where the bike is no probs, I'll shoot you a PM with my phone number.

Or alternatively if anyone's got any better ideas ?

I thought I may have been able to tow my bike on a trailer to Labrador from the Redlands. Parking at Broadbeach would be difficult with a trailer. The weather forecast has put me off. 70% chance of showers and an afternoon or evening storm and my bike isn't water-proof.

It's pretty humid here right now so these storm cells can be pretty unpredictable, but MEH, weather forecaster's, whadda they know!
You can park your car and recharge your bike from my place here at Labrador if you want XLR8 you're quite welcome. Send me a PM and I'll tell you where I am.

Matt

haha thewmatusmoloki is out doing some last minute thursday night shopping for fluro pink plastidip :lol:

I'm easy re: where to start / ride. Should we aim for a Labrador kickoff instead ? Where is nice / interesting to ride ? I'll leave this up you guys being locals.
The other consideration is how much range does everyones bike have ?

I guess if it looks like monsoonal rain is eminent we'll have to call it quits

Current roll call is:

Hyena
Thewmatusmoloki
Bluefang
XLR8

Anyone else ?

G'day Hyena,
unfortunately I've got to work tomorrow :(
I can probably get down there Sunday arvo though if you do another ride?

thewmatusmoloki said:
I can easily get down to Broadbeach, but getting the extra bike there is logistically problematic as I'll be on my ebike.
If it's not a front hubmotor, that's relatively easy, depending on your ebike's rearend design.

Take the front wheel off, and secure it to the seat/triangle of the bike. (no rider, so it's not in the way of anything).

Hook the forks around your own bike's chainstays, up at whatever point the stays are narrower than the fork dropouts, so it looks like it's "mounting" your bike. ;)

Run ties (I prefer cargo strap tiedowns, cuz they can be cranked tight, but paracord or other non-stretchy stuff works too) from the handlebars of the towed bike down around the stays or the seatpost or the seattube/toptube junction (whcihever your biek has free that doesnt' interfere with your rear wheel), to prevent the towed bike from shifting around.

If you have one you can also take an old regular bike front wheel hub (no spokes/rim) and secure it in the droputs of the fork on the *inside* of the seatstays of your bike, so that it can't possibly come off your bike. You'll still want the tie from it's bars around some part of your bike though.

If you had a narrow enough rear wheel and wide enough front fork on the other bike, you could bolt it's fork's dropouts down to your rear axle, but that doesn't usually work.

Sorry blue fang, got tied up with my work duties here so had no time. I'm free tomorrow after lunch until I fly out at 6 on the off chance you're not at work.

Thanks for coordinating the ride Matt, for running me around and for organising some wheels. Nice to meet Sam and the guys at Dillenger too and see their outfit. Thanks Sam for loaning me a ride! It was the longest ride I'd had on a BBS02 powered bike so it was good to put it through it's paces. Quite a capable little performer, well suited to the sort of cruising around we were doing and never far behind the other 2 bikes running more than double the power :)
Kev your custom built ride is pretty cool - nicely done! I reckon about $300 worth of CAV3, front brakes and a new saddle would really transform it.

My pics are much the same as Matt's so no point reposting but here's one with him in it the riders view from his cruiser.

Goldcoast.jpg

Matt1.jpg

Back