Golden Gate Open Class E-Bike race!

Use this forum to post up events, rally, conventions, get-together, etc. for anything related to the e-vehicle world (e-bike, car, motorcycle, etc). Guest may post replies to topics without the need to register. All topics here expire after 1 year of inactivity.
windtrader
1 kW
1 kW

Golden Gate Open Class E-Bike race!

Post by windtrader » Jun 13, 2016 9:08 pm

This is the Golden Gate Park Dope All You Want One Hour Cycle Track Ebike Race! As far as we know, this will be a first of its kind- an electric bike track race set in the format of a 1 hour open class race in San Francisco, California.

Get the details here. What an awesome opportunity to ride on the historic velo track in the world known San Francisco Golden Gate Park. Plenty of speed racers around to make this one hella race. Only rule is bike needs to be PAS controlled, no throttles.

http://www.meetup.com/ebiketreks/events ... &https=off

nutnspecial
1.21 GW
1.21 GW

Re: Golden Gate Open Class E-Bike race!

Post by nutnspecial » Jun 13, 2016 9:20 pm

I am picturing deathbike as a pedelec . . . :shock:

liveforphysics
100 GW
100 GW

Post by liveforphysics » Jun 14, 2016 3:32 am

nutspecial wrote:I am picturing deathbike as a pedelec . . . :shock:

It could be done easily enough, and it's a local race for me... :-)
Each carcinogen vapor exposure includes a dice roll for cancer.

Each mutagen vapor exposure includes a dice roll for reproductive genetic defects in your children.

Each engine start sprays them into a shared atmosphere which includes beings not offered an opportunity to consent accepting these cancer experiences and defective genetics life experiences.

Every post is a free gift to the collective of minds composing the living bleeding edge of LEV development on our spaceship.

nutnspecial
1.21 GW
1.21 GW

Post by nutnspecial » Jun 14, 2016 5:43 am

Oh I know :D and that would most certainly be interesting!!
It's cool there seem to be no restrictions, but do they realize that could mean 50mph or more?
Maybe the planners are expecting the store bought or ebay kit variety of bike?

liveforphysics
100 GW
100 GW

Post by liveforphysics » Jun 14, 2016 10:11 am

nutspecial wrote:Oh I know :D and that would most certainly be interesting!!
It's cool there seem to be no restrictions, but do they realize that could mean 50mph or more?
Maybe the planners are expecting the store bought or ebay kit variety of bike?
It should easily be able to average ~50-60mph for the hour.
Each carcinogen vapor exposure includes a dice roll for cancer.

Each mutagen vapor exposure includes a dice roll for reproductive genetic defects in your children.

Each engine start sprays them into a shared atmosphere which includes beings not offered an opportunity to consent accepting these cancer experiences and defective genetics life experiences.

Every post is a free gift to the collective of minds composing the living bleeding edge of LEV development on our spaceship.

nutnspecial
1.21 GW
1.21 GW

Post by nutnspecial » Jun 14, 2016 2:55 pm

Lines two and three were more in general towards the 'race'.
I don't understand it, with no limits.

Also:
From a stand still, he or she who travels around the 1 kilometer track the furthest in one hour wins.
I would think it'd be easy to walk the track in an hour, much less ebike @ 20mph . . . or more.

Maybe it's a 'californ I. A." thing? :wink:

Dauntless
100 GW
100 GW

Post by Dauntless » Jun 14, 2016 3:37 pm

nutspecial wrote:
From a stand still, he or she who travels around the 1 kilometer track the furthest in one hour wins.
I would think it'd be easy to walk the track in an hour, much less ebike @ 20mph . . . or more.

Maybe it's a 'californ I. A." thing? :wink:
But they're at a standstill. That's the challenge.

Seriously now, this is an enduro. 1 kilometer track, 100 kilometers per hour, the race would run 100 laps by the finish if nonstop. If you're familiar with the 24 Hours of Le Mans, that's how it works. So if the bikes can maintain the pace for say 55 minutes, are you faced with the option of stopping for a battery change or just keepin' on? I mean some people can keep that up for a little while without a motor. Or hey, no swapping allowed and then it's REALLY survival of the fittest.
Any sufficiently advanced technology is INDISTINGUISHABLE FROM MAGIC!
- Arthur C. Clarke

flathill
100 kW
100 kW

Post by flathill » Jun 14, 2016 4:11 pm

Maybe there should be a bike weight limit ~ to a percent of rider frontal area

SlowCo
10 kW
10 kW

Post by SlowCo » Jun 14, 2016 5:20 pm

Pedelec will prove challenging at high speed through the corners... :shock:

A recumbent would be ideal for its lower energy consumption and the high up pedals.

Vanarian
10 kW
10 kW

Post by Vanarian » Jun 24, 2016 3:36 am

SlowCo wrote:Pedelec will prove challenging at high speed through the corners... :shock:

A recumbent would be ideal for its lower energy consumption and the high up pedals.
Depends, since there are no rules one can mount a very slow pedelec assist with very high throttle input, take off will be also very frightening but once you're gone you gonna cruise all the way at high speeds!
I needed to turn Air Gear stuff into reality so I am making this!
-+Electric inline skates - no remote control - weight / angle sensor - hub motors - one frame for all wheels sizes between 80/125mm - from 3.2 to 12 KW :mrgreen:

Rollo Ergo Sum!

overvolted
100 µW
100 µW

Post by overvolted » Jul 28, 2016 8:41 pm

It ended up being a pretty fun event. Joe from Motostrano brought an unrestricted Bosch-powered Easy Motion that hit 32-35MPH, and I brought my new BBSHD build that tops out around 37MPH. Joe built a moderate lead on the first lap, I went into the highest PAS mode and passed him, and then I just sort of slowed down to about 32 so that I could ask Joe about his bike. We ended up finishing right alongside one another. Apparently Joe has been able hit 40MPH on flat ground when his Bosch bike is fully charged. Chris from Eco Bike Advantures showed up with his Cyclone-powered (or was it a Tangent Ascent?) downhill eMTB but didn't race (though I'm sure he could've won!) Perhaps next year we'll have a bigger turnout.

There were a bunch of road cyclists who were riding around the oval around the same time, however, we ended up shortening the race format due to a lot of no-shows, so the roadies weren't very peeved by our little race since it was so short, and the roadies tended to stay in the outside lane (the slow lane) anyways. I'm afraid that next year, we might have to limit power output or speeds because it would be a shitshow if we had ebikes topping 50MPH right next to the road cyclists. Or maybe instead of limiting power and speed, we could find a track that's fully private, or we could have multiple race classes or something.