Internal Gear Hubs (with source for 5 speed cargo hub)

drewjet

10 kW
My desire is to build a Bad Ass Mountain Bike. Specs are to be 48V 15 AH Turnigy, Astro 3220, and I want to use a internal gear hub. I want to be able to peddle and motor through the gears. I want Disc Brakes. I love what Gary did with his, and as soon as he gets the 3/8" bore #219 sprockets (should be this week) I will be placing my order with him for his rear adapter.

I currently have a Sturmey Archer 3 Speed in a 26" wheel. I have run about 2000 Watts through it and so far it seems to be holding up, no funny noises. However I really think I want more than 3 gears and a bigger range. The Alfine seems to fit the bill and I understand that it is rated as off road use. The Rholoff(sp) Is the Cats Ass, but I don't know that is off road rated, and the $1600 price tag is out of reach.

My question is, Is there any other Hubs I should be considering?

Hi drewjet,

The Alfine isn't a good candidate for a dual right-side drive - the gear changing cable exits radially right next to the existing sprocket.
alfine-nav-skive-SG-S500+CS.jpg

The SRAM 9 speed doesn't look suitable, either....

The Rohloff is tougher than the Alfine and looks to be more adaptable - just a question of the price......

Maybe one of the 5 speed hubs? They're not usually quite as robust as the 3 speeds, though...

Did you see what we are working towards, here: http://www.endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=12449&start=223 ?

Miles is right about the Alfine. The older Nexus-8 is the same. I think there is 5-speed that is a bit beefier, maybe used for hauling cargo? I don't know, I just seem to remember the work cargo in the description. :roll:

I can tell you that you probably won't need more than three gears for the motor for any mountain bike application I can think of, and if you did, there's always delta-wye switching. Maybe you want more for pedaling? If so, you could use a standard MTB front dérailleur with three chainrings. That would give you at least nine gears on the pedals.

-- Gary

I see what you mean about not having room. I guess the solid axle that makes it beefier also makes it not suitable.

Do you think the Sturmey is up to off road duty?

Any idea on who makes the 5 speed that might be suitable? SRAM?

I have the 3220 with all 6 wires, and that alone may be enough. I want monster torque and controlability, so am thinking I want a max speed of about 12 to 15 MPH in low gear on the motor, but I also want a relatively high top speed for commuting of around 35 MPH. I think I can do that with the Sturmey, it just seems that it may not take the abuse of off road.

The bike I am planning on has 3 front chainrings already.

Which 3220 wind do you have? With my 7-turn, it has a kV in wye mode of 97. Assuming you are running a 12s LiPo setup, and 12t/100t gearing with a 20" wheel, what I get with the S-A and/or the Nexus-3, is a top speed of 20 in 1st, 27 in 2nd and 37 in 3rd. With a 26" wheel, the numbers go up to 27/38/48, respectively.

I can also tell you that with my setup (20"/3220-7t/11t-94t/12s3p Turnigy LiPo...), it has enough low-end torque in first that it flips me right off the back end, with no problem. :)

-- Gary

I have the 7 turn. I am going with a 26" tire so I need a lower ratio.

I just don't have a lot of faith in taking that Sturmey off road.

I found a supply for the 5 Speed Cargo Dear Andrew,

yes we are able to serve you with Sram Cargo hubs. The price is net 84,00 each plus freight of about €55,00. Cable length from 150mm up to 185mm are available. If you are interested in, we will send you bill for payment in advance. Delivery takes about 8 days.

Best regards, i.A. Christine Hilf

Traub Fahrzeugtechnik GmbH
Licher Str. 25
35516 Münzenberg
Tel.: 06004-930550
Fax: 06004-1709
http://www.take2move.de

Miles, are you sure it will work with the Gary adapter?

Attached is a SRAM Users guide, in German, but from the pics it looks like it should. Go to Pg 29 for P5 Cargo

Attachments

• SRAM Hub user guide.pdf
    3.6 MB · Views: 106
drewjet said:
Miles, are you sure it will work with the Gary adapter?

Looking at the drawing, here: http://www.sram.com/_media/pdf/sram/dealers/TM_GHS_MY04_E.pdf , I'm not sure that it will....

HU407C03_____36___W.jpg

It might be possible to adapt one of the 9 spline fixing freewheels, that we hope to have made, so that it fits on the 3 spline driver, directly....

way to go on finding a supplier for the 5 speed cargo Andrew..!

It looks like it is available in two flavors..

Drum Brake and Back Pedal Roller Brake. (trommel bremse and rucktrit bremse)
MH5225 and MH5215

Back