Sur-Ron - New Mid drive Bike

If you're coming from bicycles you will think it's stable and not twitchy, if coming from motorcycles it will feel extremely light and agile.

Rix said:
58T Sprocket? Check, Renthal Chain 420 pitch Check. Power wheelies? Check. So my indicated speed is 76Kh/H with the 58T. We all know that aint correct. Took it down the road to a police radar trailer which confirmed top speed at 36MPH. It would appear that speed is measured off the motor. Anyone going to a 58T sprocket, just subtract "30" from your top speed in Km/H and you will have your MPH speed.

I know Motomoto is making some super sexy light weight aluminum 58T sprockets, but if any one wants a steel 58T sprocket, I got 2 available for $45 bucks plus shipping. BTW, Motomoto, when will your 52T be ready?

How many links in the 420 chain did you need to adapt to the 58T sprocket?

artisanstone said:
Luna now has a 60T aluminum sprocket available I'd just as soon have steel for durability. Don't think much difference between 58 and 60.

Mathematically its less than 4%, not huge. Steel is tougher than aluminum, but aluminum can be made to be tough. I suspect that Moto Moto's sprockets will be the toughest aluminum options out there.

Rix said:
Rodney64 said:
Do we have any Sur Rons in Perth. No sure if the stock chainring will handle Perth sand or if the motor will over heat.

Hey Rod, I can tell you the stock gearing does handle semi soft sand with little drama with my heavy weight. If the sand is really soft and deep, no go though. That said, the 58T rear sprocket changes the game. It will handle fairly deep sand, but it will suck the amps doing it. I just rode mine this weekend with the 58T and can believe the level of hill climbing and soft terrain performance it has. Even my Alpha with an 18"MC wheel running north of 8KW will not touch the hill climbing capability of this bike with the 58T. Don't get me wrong, this bike did stall out on me on some really steep stuff, the kind of stuff I wouldn't have even attempted on a hub driven machine.

Thanks Rix, I will need the 60 tooth then, I will try the 42 tooth first. Its a mixture of soft sand and tracks though a pine plantation, My 4065 with the max-e controller bogged down in the soft sand so it will be a good test for the Sur Ron.

Gloert16 said:
Rix said:
58T Sprocket? Check, Renthal Chain 420 pitch Check. Power wheelies? Check. So my indicated speed is 76Kh/H with the 58T. We all know that aint correct. Took it down the road to a police radar trailer which confirmed top speed at 36MPH. It would appear that speed is measured off the motor. Anyone going to a 58T sprocket, just subtract "30" from your top speed in Km/H and you will have your MPH speed.

I know Motomoto is making some super sexy light weight aluminum 58T sprockets, but if any one wants a steel 58T sprocket, I got 2 available for $45 bucks plus shipping. BTW, Motomoto, when will your 52T be ready?

How many links in the 420 chain did you need to adapt to the 58T sprocket?

112 links. Just counted them.

Rodney64 said:
Rix said:
Rodney64 said:
Do we have any Sur Rons in Perth. No sure if the stock chainring will handle Perth sand or if the motor will over heat.

Hey Rod, I can tell you the stock gearing does handle semi soft sand with little drama with my heavy weight. If the sand is really soft and deep, no go though. That said, the 58T rear sprocket changes the game. It will handle fairly deep sand, but it will suck the amps doing it. I just rode mine this weekend with the 58T and can believe the level of hill climbing and soft terrain performance it has. Even my Alpha with an 18"MC wheel running north of 8KW will not touch the hill climbing capability of this bike with the 58T. Don't get me wrong, this bike did stall out on me on some really steep stuff, the kind of stuff I wouldn't have even attempted on a hub driven machine.

Thanks Rix, I will need the 60 tooth then, I will try the 42 tooth first. Its a mixture of soft sand and tracks though a pine plantation, My 4065 the the max-e controller bogged down in the soft sand so it will be a good test for the Sur Ron.

Stock is 48T unless you got the super motard 17" wheels. So 60T with 17 wheels should get you through the deep loose sand pretty well.

Mathematically its less than 4%, not huge. Steel is tougher than aluminum, but aluminum can be made to be tough. I suspect that Moto Moto's sprockets will be the toughest aluminum options out there.

7075 will wear faster than steel but is lighter and easier to machine. I think the aluminum sprockets should hold up well because the
power load is not huge on this bike.

I finally decided to put a 58 tooth on my bike (one that I messed up). I took it for a spin. It does accelerate a bit faster. The motor
has its' way with pushing the weight more. 58/48 is about 20% difference and it is noticeable.

johnrobholmes said:
anybody found info on re calibrating the speedo with the different sprocket size?

Not that I am aware of. It seems it gets the speed from the motor hall signals. There must be some kind of programming interface for the controller but I don't think anybody outside of SurRon has it. Plan B would be to install a bike speedometer.

Pics from my ride on Sunday. Was a good day.

Attachments

• 1s.jpg
    1s.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 2,184
  • 2s.jpg
    2s.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 2,184
  • 3s.jpg
    3s.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 2,184
  • 4s.jpg
    4s.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 2,184
i hate kickstands on a off road bicycle, i love to lay them down , i just get this freedom feeling

Let's go ride!! I would love to drive to Nevada and ride your trails. I have a 58t on my bike too. Let's PM a time
and place. I have a Mavic Pro and a GoPro for some video. I have one extra battery. I wish we had 2. That would be
an epic day !!

motomoto said:

Let's go ride!! I would love to drive to Nevada and ride your trails. I have a 58t on my bike too. Let's PM a time
and place. I have a Mavic Pro and a GoPro for some video. I have one extra battery. I wish we had 2. That would be
an epic day !!

Hell Yah Kim!! Got your PM I know the weekend of May 2 is out. Will PM you with other optional times.

Allex said:
Nice with a kickstand huh...
No need to find awkward places to put your pedals on.

Which bike do you think will be used the most now?

I still ride the Stealth P7 alot from the house, as it performs bicycle duties really well. As far as any ride where I haul my bike in my truck, the Sur-Ron will be my go to machine.

maitilupas said:
i hate kickstands on a off road bicycle, i love to lay them down , i just get this freedom feeling

Unless you like to lay it down and then slide backwards on the left side, I don't see that kickstand hanging up.

LeftieBiker said:
maitilupas said:

Unless you like to lay it down and then slide backwards on the left side, I don't see that kickstand hanging up.

No the kickstand wont drop on its own. Its has a very strong spring.

johnrobholmes said:
Got a chance to go over the supermoto wheels.

[youtube]GGMfZldg1LU[/youtube]

i love you play tunes while calibrating the spokes , this is new for me

New album out soon "Greatest Spoke Harp Hits by Holmes"

Back