Downhill project motorcycle transmission

Sorry to disappoint but I've had my head in other things. Did put in a good stint today though and got the gearbox with the motor sorted along with the pedal driveline and other mounting brackets. Haven't ordered the batteries as yet but will jump on that in the next few days.
NEXT POST IT WILL BE RUNNING!!!!!!!!!

Attachments

• P1110099.JPG
    P1110099.JPG
    62.6 KB · Views: 3,844
  • P1110103.JPG
    P1110103.JPG
    90 KB · Views: 3,844
  • P1110104.JPG
    P1110104.JPG
    79.4 KB · Views: 3,844
  • P1110112.JPG
    P1110112.JPG
    94.9 KB · Views: 3,844
  • P1110114.JPG
    P1110114.JPG
    92.4 KB · Views: 3,844
Cheers lads. Not too far off now. Changing up or down can be done on these kinds of bikes quite easily, it's the nature of the transmission. Changing down would simply mean slowing down and backing off the power a bit, then down shifting. Also due to the relative lightweight of the bike any lock ups wouldn't overload the trans. Up shifts are a piece of cake and can sometimes be smoother without the clutch.
A clutch actually would be of some advantage in a sensorless set up as it could be fanned and slipped but she'll be fine. The Trek now weighs a portly 29kg, bloody hell but I think this May add some degree of stability at high speed especially with such a short wheel base. Ok so the NEXT post it'll be running

Ecobogan said:
Cheers lads. Not too far off now. Changing up or down can be done on these kinds of bikes quite easily, it's the nature of the transmission. Changing down would simply mean slowing down and backing off the power a bit, then down shifting. Also due to the relative lightweight of the bike any lock ups wouldn't overload the trans. Up shifts are a piece of cake and can sometimes be smoother without the clutch.
A clutch actually would be of some advantage in a sensorless set up as it could be fanned and slipped but she'll be fine. The Trek now weighs a portly 29kg, bloody hell but I think this May add some degree of stability at high speed especially with such a short wheel base. Ok so the NEXT post it'll be running

you can do what the drag guys do.. put a micro switch on the shifter to cut the throttle signal

What would you say weighs more ,the gearbox or the housing ? Jusy wondered if a good go with a dremel could get the weight down ?

Subscribed.
Looking forward to see this thing up and running. Make sure to posts videos when she runs.

AussieJester said:
I have extended a steel Isis works a treat, insert tube inside after cutting then weld it up..
re: how does the dog box shift.... fast! at any speed

you should hit up tooman2 he's modded a ice gear box and fitted a Turning rc motor to it, there's
video floating around of him whipping a ktm dirt bike with it, easily.

KiM

Hm got any links for tooman2? Couldn't find a single post from him doing a forum search.

Found it tks.
Did he make that motor from scratch all by himself? That is just wicked.

Wondered instead of all the chain guide wheels and tensioners maybye a chain tunnel made from a length of box section alloy would be neater .lined with nylon strips to stop it chewing it up? :shock:

Don't really know how I missed this thread.....your project is really cool, a gearbox for the astro, with cooling, is just what it is needed to make it a perfect motor for a lightweight bike!
Having an Astro 32204t geared for 50kph, I feel that It needs nothing more in the low and just a second gear to reach say 70-80kph....keeping in mind that on my bike (26.5kg incl batteries) it allows power wheelies until 35-40 kph just with the actual gear. 75kph should be the perfect top speed for me. To do that, not touching the amazing acceleration with a 30-35mph gearing, 2 speed are good enough, I think.
Another question is the sensorless setup, I think It would be better to stay with a pass thru throttle on the CA (or a servo interface as well) to avoid delays and surges; with the gears you have, it should work fine even at the lowers....but going sensored would smooth everything, I guess...

Subscribed!!

Well kids I had to hang off posting till she was up and running. So after a new lathe, mig welder, ac dc tig and a respectable sprinkling of late nights, the first hot lap was chucked around my wee little neighborhood. Nine twenty pm.
I've NEVER ridden an electric bike before and this ole girl is twitchy twitchy twitchy. I nearly put it in the back fence pulling an unwanted tweleve O'Clock mono. The throttle works fine at low speeds and can comfortably be ridden at a trails pace, open it up and there's nothing nothing nothing than BAM full wack straight up. I kind of like it. Its an ugly mess at the moment of temporary wiring and batteries taped on etc etc. I haven't got the gear lever hooked up so am running in first gear wired in wye and winding up to full throttle up the street felt in the regions of about thirtyish kph.
I haven't got the motor/gear box botled in properly, needs custom bolts etc so it was a short lived test run. As much to see it was more keen on leaving a scattered mess of bits up the road or actually functioning, well it works. Rather mono happy. Exciting times, for me at least!! First intro to the electric world and tomorrow will involve a lengthy run into the creek trails to see what she's got in all six gears.
Its on.

Pics and video ASAP!!

Congrats on the wheel -spin Eco 8)
Man, I'm hoping she continues to perform and impress you.
Good luck... looking forward to more updates!

Kevin

I wrote this Tuesday night and immediately my MacBook died. Here's the 2nd test run story.
After an almost amusing day of torture up a ladder welding a sculptural front fence on a fancy joint in north Melbourne with some other blokes and an ex SAS crane truck driver, the time for test run#2 was nigh. 6:45pm.
I'd missed the motorcycle wreckers who no doubt would've held the key to my gearbox nirvana- a KX80 gear lever. Never mind, some days ago I spied a DT200r carcass that was quickly becoming a skeleton, lying in the grass down by the creek. It had a gear lever, and a 10mm spanner later it was mine.
Getting to the point I predictably enough went for a rip up the street clicking away as smooth as you like. I'm really starting to comprehend the utter torque of electric power and the Trek was easily lifting the front wheel in 4th. Quickly ran out of street but was at the creek where the tracks are, I was getting excited.
Still suspect and suspicious that something was going to let fly I cautiously opened her up to full throttle over the rolling grassy hills and it wheelstood in EVERY gear?!? Good hearty illegal fun. I've radically under geared it and 1st is near useless and hard not to flip it,4th 5th and top is where it's at.
So anyway after trying my hardest to dribble by some innocent pram pushing types I headed for the single tracks where she truly came alive. Hard to compare this to my RMZ450, next to no horsepower, bulk torque, uber light with very sharp steering and brakes, you could easily put the wind up an MXer in the tight tracks if not give it a proper hiding given equal riders as others have shown. I was having a ball and starting to relax. It didn't last long.
I pulled off the single track and onto the flat open grassland, a makeshift local golf driving range, for a top speed run. Not a soul around, 7:20pm.It pulled a neat power mono in 4th hit 5th flat out, with the pace gaining and about to hit top gear the whole show locked up solid at what felt like at least 60kph. Shit and then some!! What the hell?? Came to a fishtailing broadsliding skidding halt.
Snapped the chain clean in half. Jammed in the caliper mount, bent the disc and chewed up some teeth on the sprocket and also bent the hub. Unrideable. It turns out that I'd left a neat little cavity for the chain to drop into between the caliper mount and the sprocket. A fellow cyclist helped me out with a spanner and I managed to bend the brake rotor straight enough to pass through the caliper and ride it home via pedals with the chain in my pocket. Classy.

This was Tuesday and I've since fixed the engineering feng shui issues. I'm going for a blat RIGHT NOW in fact. Video and pictures uploaded later today.
Gotta say thanks heaps to all who helped and cheers for the support! This thing is proper fun let me tell you

Look forward to the video man. Unwanted wheel locks can be spooky stuff, good thing you managed.
Are you gonna make changes to your final gearing via chain and sprocket to see if you get more manageable lower gears or just leave it as it is for now? What you reckon you get in top speed now, and will that increase you think if you change gearing/sprockets?

I'll change the final drive gearing for sure. At the moment it's running 13/58 which is about 4.46:1, it wants about 3:1 in my opinion which would mean a 19 tooth front sprocket. I got back just now and virtually had to pedal it home, flattened the battery to 41.2 volts after 20 odd minutes of semi hard riding. It had no worriers climbing the near 45 deg 50 metre hill out the back. Is weird getting used to the instant hit of torque then she just dies off. Weird and cool.
Top speed wouldn't be much over 60 if at all, hard to tell. We're going to test it in the car later. If it is at 60 kph then a gearing change of 3:1 should put it in the ranges of about 80. Then there's delta where it should hit 100. Need some hard figures here.
Anyone have any ideas on how to tune the throttle response to be more progressive? Or is that the personality? Motor run s pretty hot, need the water cooling and many more batteries.

There is a product called Throttle Tamer, By Zombiess. I think that one does all what you need. Production is discontinued AFAIK but I think he still might have a few left of those. Try to pm him and ask.

But having had dozens of ICE bikes over the past 30 years, getting a new ride that one is not familiar with it often feel like the throttle is "uncontrollable", a few more hours riding and one usually will adjust. Guessing with the gearbox and the low final gear you will feel it even more as you have such a low ratio, I think Throttle Tamer might be just what you need.

Zombiess Throttle Tamer thread: http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=59631&hilit=throttle+tamer

If he is out you might be able to score a used one:
http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=62853&p=955092&hilit=throttle+tamer#p955092

Back