RC throttle interface build tutorial........

Discussions related to motors other than hub motors.
This includes R/C motors, botttom bracket, roller and geared drives.

Re: RC throttle interface build tutorial........

Postby bandaro » Sat Oct 16, 2010 2:15 am

for mine i simply plugged the bec into one of the 3 servo places, right under where the esc went in.

means the power is being put in "reverse" direction but it is all the same.
bandaro
100 W
100 W

Postby Hardcarve1 » Sat Oct 16, 2010 4:56 am

I see it now, I thought their was just one input & output but I can see the multiple plug points.
Thanks
When in doubt, REV!! it out.

MTB commuter Black Surley troll 26' 9C HUB Vented & upgraded phase wires, 16s A123 11.5ah
MTB commuter Orange Surley troll 26' 9C HUB Vented & upgraded phase wires, 16s A123 9.2ah
MTB - HXT80-130 direct drive through staton 1:18.75 gerbox, HV160 ecs, Nuvinci hub, 12s A123 9.2ah (retired)
MTB - 9C stock, 12 fet Lyen, 9 speed, 16s A123 20.0ah, 2000lm LED ebike lights.[retired]

Line trimmer - HXT80-130, HV110 ecs 12s A123 2.3ah
Hardcarve1
100 W
100 W

Postby Wheazel » Fri Dec 03, 2010 11:16 am

This thread is full of awesomeness. Thanks for the tutorial.
Input regarding availability in Europe is appreciated. Only seem to find american sites selling the throttle.
Wheazel
100 W
100 W

Postby Brushlessboy16 » Fri Dec 03, 2010 9:38 pm

Depending on your input voltage

This unit is good for 10s Lipo input
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/stor ... duct=10313
Very cheap site and they have many warehouses around the globe :)
Brushlessboy16
100 mW
100 mW

Postby recumpence » Sun Dec 05, 2010 2:36 pm

Hey Guys,

I wanted to post a quick update..........

I spent the morning building a bunch of throttle interfaces. All pending orders are filled and I have two throttles finished in stock. :)

Sorry for the delay. I had an issue with regulators and a couple other minor details. I am up to speed again, however. :)

Matt
1% of the world's population can think "Outside the box". The rest are firmly stuck within the box. Where are you?
recumpence
10 GW
10 GW

Location: On Earth right now. That can change at any time, though..........

Postby deVries » Sun Dec 05, 2010 4:44 pm

bandaro wrote:ok, got my throttle up and running, and i can confirm that for the electrics i got it works. i used the same jumper method in the picture a page or so ago on a turnigy servo tester, and the cheapest hall effect throttle i could find.

am yet to test the final rpm (need a few more parts as i only have the cycle computer to measure speed, then deduce rpm) but the esc has a little led in it that lights up at about 90% of the twist, so i am taking it this led means that the esc is full throttle. otherwise it seems smooth and consistent with the more twist it gets.

for any interested i am just using the cheapie k-force 120 esc for now, see how it holds up for my first build.

Hi Bandaro, just thought I'd check-in to see how the rpm range worked with this setup? You got full range & good control w/throttle you bought? Also, how is that 120 k-force ESC working? Did you add extra caps or mod it?

Thanks! :mrgreen:
deVries
1 MW
1 MW

Postby HumboldtRc » Sun Dec 05, 2010 10:41 pm

recumpence wrote:Hey Guys,

I spent the morning building a bunch of throttle interfaces. All pending orders are filled and I have two throttles finished in stock. :)

Sorry for the delay. I had an issue with regulators and a couple other minor details. I am up to speed again, however. :)

Matt

What all do your throttles consist of? What features do they have?

I just finished mine, with a 0-5k sliding pot (in a custom cable throttle box) to a Turnigy servo tester to a servo speed regulator then to the esc's.
HumboldtRc
100 W
100 W

Postby Hillhater » Sun Dec 05, 2010 11:42 pm

HumboldtRc wrote:
I just finished mine, with a 0-5k sliding pot (in a custom cable throttle box) to a Turnigy servo tester to a servo speed regulator then to the esc's.

what does the .."servo speed regulator" ... do for you ??
This forum owes its existence to Justin of ebikes.ca
Hillhater
10 GW
10 GW

Postby recumpence » Mon Dec 06, 2010 8:19 am

HumboldtRc wrote:
recumpence wrote:Hey Guys,

Matt

What all do your throttles consist of? What features do they have?

It is a simple PWM board with 5v regulator to power it in a water resistant heat shrinked package with a Magura twist grip throttle. :)

It is a tried and tested design. All units are hand built and bench tested before shipping.

Matt
1% of the world's population can think "Outside the box". The rest are firmly stuck within the box. Where are you?
recumpence
10 GW
10 GW

Postby LI-ghtcycle » Fri Dec 10, 2010 1:27 pm

Wow, good stuff in this thread!

I wanted to get some advice on two parts however.

1) I had some real trouble removing the Servo Tester POT even with my 60W iron (I tired it first with my 30W to avoid getting things too hot) and I am still not 100% sure that I didn't damage the PCB in the process, I have been considering getting a "vacuum bulb" designed to suck away the solder, but for now I have been using the heat and tap method, and also tried by heating all three leads at once on the POT, but I REALLY struggled to get it loose even when I had all the leads just sitting on the PCB. Is there something I am missing? I have to work in a pretty cold (about 55 DEG F) garage, maybe that is part of the problem.

2) I am unclear about weather or not I should be fine using the BEC on my ESC to power the Magura Throttle, or if I will still need to add an extra BEC to power things?

Oh, one more thing, I got to wondering since using the extra POT that I removed from the ST, if I understand correctly using it as a "throttle limiter" restricts total voltage, and say if I wanted to run 8S and regulate down the speed, that although it wouldn't regulate amps, would I not be able to have it regulate the voltage down so that it could at as if I were just running 6S while under higher load (climbing hills) and then turn it back up for a long flat stretch. Am I correct in my understanding?

Thanks! :)
Thank you Justin_Le for your selfless act of kindness! We all are in your debt.

My latest build: Vision R40 with Golden Motor "800W" Trike motor as mid-drive, NuVinci N171B rear wheel as transmission, 30 MPH on 12S (46V) 12 AH Turnigy Nanotech LiPo (25-50c) able to climb tall hills on a single Amp Hour! :grin:

http://www.endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=29810&p=475990#p475990
LI-ghtcycle
1.21 GW
1.21 GW

Postby adrian_sm » Fri Dec 10, 2010 3:27 pm

1) I am a soldering idiot, and couldn't desolder the POT. So I just got got some side cutters and cut each leg on the POT. POT fell off. Job done. :D

2) ESC BEC should be fine.

3) Give it a go. Put a POT on the 5V rail into the magura throttle POT (you can use the one you clipped off).
One thing to note is that your ESC will have a bit of a harder life, running at partial throttle on 8S, rather than full throttle on 6S, since it will be generating more heat by having to PWM more to reduce voltage at the motor.

Good luck.

- Adrian
Last edited by adrian_sm on Fri Dec 10, 2010 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Build #1 ~28kg ~ 700w Avanti Hardtail Crystalyte 408, 48V10Ah Headway. ~5500 kms to date. (retired)
Build #2 ~30kg ~2000w Giant AC Dually Crystalyte 408, 48V10Ah Headway + 6s10Ah LiPo = 70V. ~15000 kms to date [SOLD]
Build #3 ~13kg ~2000w Commuter Booster <1kg Friction Drive in Beta testing (www.commuterbooster.com)
Build #??? ~21kg ~1500w Adrian's Bafang BPM Hardtail MTB Bafang BPM code12, 15s LiPo, ~40kph, ~30kms
adrian_sm
100 MW
100 MW

Postby recumpence » Fri Dec 10, 2010 3:35 pm

LI-ghtcycle wrote:Wow, good stuff in this thread!

I wanted to get some advice on two parts however.

1) I had some real trouble removing the Servo Tester POT even with my 60W iron (I tired it first with my 30W to avoid getting things too hot) and I am still not 100% sure that I didn't damage the PCB in the process, I have been considering getting a "vacuum bulb" designed to suck away the solder, but for now I have been using the heat and tap method, and also tried by heating all three leads at once on the POT, but I REALLY struggled to get it loose even when I had all the leads just sitting on the PCB. Is there something I am missing? I have to work in a pretty cold (about 55 DEG F) garage, maybe that is part of the problem.

2) I am unclear about weather or not I should be fine using the BEC on my ESC to power the Magura Throttle, or if I will still need to add an extra BEC to power things?

Oh, one more thing, I got to wondering since using the extra POT that I removed from the ST, if I understand correctly using it as a "throttle limiter" restricts total voltage, and say if I wanted to run 8S and regulate down the speed, that although it wouldn't regulate amps, would I not be able to have it regulate the voltage down so that it could at as if I were just running 6S while under higher load (climbing hills) and then turn it back up for a long flat stretch. Am I correct in my understanding?

Thanks! :)

If your ESC has a BEC that is functional at the voltage you are running, you do not need to add one to your throttle. You just need the PWM board (servo tester) and the throttle in place of the POT.

Oh, BTW, I just clip the POT legs too. Trying to desolder them is a pain..........

Matt
recumpence
10 GW
10 GW

Postby LI-ghtcycle » Fri Dec 10, 2010 7:04 pm

Ahhh, that makes sense! Unfortunately my particular brand of ST wouldn't have made it any easier to clip the legs of the POT. Not enough room in there. I'll have to try again with one of the Turngy ST's like Hillhater bought from HK (assuming his one wire mod would work the same for a POT throttle?) if mine is too fried.

My latest build: Vision R40 with Golden Motor "800W" Trike motor as mid-drive, NuVinci N171B rear wheel as transmission, 30 MPH on 12S (46V) 12 AH Turnigy Nanotech LiPo (25-50c) able to climb tall hills on a single Amp Hour! :grin:

LI-ghtcycle
1.21 GW
1.21 GW

Postby LI-ghtcycle » Sat Dec 11, 2010 1:19 am

IT LIVES!!!! :D :D :D

I guess my solder torture wasn't too bad, I fired it up with the throttle and got a satisfying "turbine whine" from my new motor!

Thanks again everyone! 8)

LI-ghtcycle
1.21 GW
1.21 GW

Postby LI-ghtcycle » Sun Dec 12, 2010 12:13 am

Ok, now I'm puzzled, I have the ESC and motor wired properly, but the motor is going backwards. Could I have 2 leads reversed in the throttle interface? I guess I could always swap the neg and positive leads from ESC to motor, but I'd rather figure out what is causing this and fix it properly.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

LI-ghtcycle
1.21 GW
1.21 GW

Postby recumpence » Sun Dec 12, 2010 7:47 am

Swapping two motor leads is the proper way to fix it. Motors do not have wires that are polarized (wire color) a certain way. I just ignore motor wire color and do a rotation test.

Matt
recumpence
10 GW
10 GW

Postby RC_Kiwi » Mon Dec 13, 2010 8:10 pm

Hi.'
Am new to all this except the RC part. I did the Turnigy Modification but it does not appear to work. The motor does not respond to throttle input but slowly increases speed over time (i turned it off after 1min). However it works fine when plugged into a receiver etc. Using the turngiy 63-64-230Kv With Turnigy 85A ESC, a cheap hall throttle (I hope) Turnigy Servo Tester and on 22.2V (6S Lipo). Any Ideas? I may just have to buy a pot throttle although it is expensive. In New Zealand so shipping is not small either :(
Thanks
RC_Kiwi
1 mW
1 mW

Postby HumboldtRc » Mon Dec 13, 2010 8:26 pm

RC_Kiwi wrote:cheap hall throttle (I hope) Turnigy Servo Tester and on 22.2V (6S Lipo). Any Ideas?
Thanks

You have a BEC so the servo-tester only gets 5-6 volts? correct? Other wise you fried the tester with the 25volts....
HumboldtRc
100 W
100 W

Postby RC_Kiwi » Mon Dec 13, 2010 8:55 pm

Yep :D It does have a BEC. I'll take a photo of the setup
RC_Kiwi
1 mW
1 mW

Postby RC_Kiwi » Mon Dec 13, 2010 9:03 pm

Here.
Attachments
M01A1111.JPG
M01A1112.JPG
RC_Kiwi
1 mW
1 mW

Postby HumboldtRc » Mon Dec 13, 2010 9:10 pm

RC_Kiwi wrote:Here.

What esc are you using? Double check you mod to the servo-tester, mine worked fine, but i didn't like the throttle resolution. So i made a cable throttle box, with a 0-5k sliding pot, which feels like it has 2-3 times the resolution, then the hall throttle input.
HumboldtRc
100 W
100 W

Postby RC_Kiwi » Mon Dec 13, 2010 9:13 pm

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/stor ... duct=10331
I cut the pot off then soldered a jumper from the signal input to the middle pot connection? This was as per the mod on page 3. I can take a photo with the lid off it it helps?
RC_Kiwi
1 mW
1 mW

Postby fechter » Tue Dec 14, 2010 9:37 am

You could try measuring the voltage on the signal wire while moving the throttle. Most hall throttles will go from about 0.7v to 4.2v or so (nominal 1-4v range).

You might need to add a resistor from the signal line to ground (10k?) Some hall throttles have this built in and some don't.

If the voltage on the signal line is too high when you turn on the controller, it might go into a high stick safety lockout condition.
"One test is worth a thousand opinions"
fechter
100 GW
100 GW

Postby RC_Kiwi » Wed Dec 15, 2010 3:34 am

Hey. Thanks for that advice. I assume check the voltage across the entry/exit of the signal wire? I will check when I get some spare time. Not having much electronics experience, can I ask how you would put a 10K resistor from the signal line to ground? Thanks
Tim
RC_Kiwi
1 mW
1 mW

Postby fechter » Wed Dec 15, 2010 11:43 am

RC_Kiwi wrote: Not having much electronics experience, can I ask how you would put a 10K resistor from the signal line to ground? Thanks
Tim

On the wires coming from the hall throttle, you would connect the resistor between the signal line and the ground line. You could possibly just jam the resistor legs into the back of the connector for a quick test.
"One test is worth a thousand opinions"
fechter
100 GW
100 GW

PreviousNext

Return to E-Bike Non-hub Motor Drives