Stinky Turnigy 80-100 -Nuvinci semi auto

Burtie

10 kW
Ok, so I have been watching what great things you guys have been up to for a while and I had to have a go myself :D .

Be warned -These pictures are not pretty :eek: ! They show the bike just before its second ever test run.

(The first test run ended after 400 yards in a pile of mangled bike chain :( )

100_0772.JPG
100_0770.JPG
HXT-IMG_4036.jpg
HXT-IMG_4038.jpg

This is a short vid of the 2nd test run with the bike running on only 22volts (half the designed voltage), the bike is pulling uphill so speed is not impressive (yet). Turn the sound up for best viewing.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N0YXq7OmJR0
[youtube]N0YXq7OmJR0[/youtube] :) :shock:

Burtie,

Congrats!! looks good to me...
but beauty is in the eye of the beholder eh?

How did the chain break, shifting?

What planetary gear box are you using?

Thanks, guess it will be more presentable when I get around to tidying the electrics.

The rear wheel chain did not let go of the front chainwheel cleanly and wrapped right around causing everything to jam up.
Fixed ok now by using a new chain slightly wider (KMC Z50, cheap and chearfull) so does not jam on the front chainwheel. I Also removed the paint from the sides of the chainwheel teeth to make it a bit thinner.

The planetary box is a Neugart PLE80 20:1 reduction that I picked up 2nd hand off ebay. Just Had to add an external bearing to support the input shaft.

Also use extra external bearings for each end of the motor shaft to relieve the radial load on the tiny motor bearings.
Glued in the magnets with extra epoxy so hopfully it wont fall apart too soon!

MotorFrame.jpg
Motor Frame-IMG_4005.jpg

IMG_Epoxy.jpg

With that much reduction,
it will definitely be a mountain bike!!

The external support bearings outta make it last
a really long time.

Just when i thought I couldn't drool anymore over your previous Cyclone 1200watt build!!! :shock:

Cracking Job Burtie!!! Keep up the awesome work!

Cheers,

Norman

Thanks for the complements.

Norman, -any video of the 'Orange Flash' in action? I have been following your build with interest.

I will do another video of the Stinky when I have it running at 44v.

I updated the firmware on the HV110 ESC today, now It makes a really wierd noise as the motor starts up, -sounds like some sort of spaceship.
Not very steathy but quite funny! I think the large bell on that HXT 130 makes for a good sounding device :p

Great work Burtie...I picked up the same motor as your using last week.

What sort of glue is that your using i see UhU bottle, is it a two
part epoxy? and what sort of temps is it capable of before it turns to mush?

Absolutely LOVE the sound in the video too Burtie me likes outrunners just for
the sound hehehe...

Look forward to more vids of it runnning at 44volts...

KiM

Hi KiM,

You got it, the glue I used is UHU Plus 300 Epoxy (2 part), I think it is sometimes called UHU Endfest.

It starts to harden after about 30 minutes which gives enough time to work with. I think it is supposed to be good for 200 degrees C (hotter than the magnets can stand).
After the glue was put around the magnets, I put the spindle back in so I could rotate the bell and prevent the glue from sagging while it set.

Looking forward to seeing your HXT creation! 8)
Cheers,
Ian.

Thanks for the info Burtie and Miles ... Not sure that particular glue is available in OZ shall check the Adhesives stand at hardware see what epoxies they carry with 200 degree PLUS abilities...

Cheers fellas

KiM

Now running at 44 volts.

Speedo.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BU6J37uWjBI

[youtube]BU6J37uWjBI[/youtube]

Bike looks great! Looks like she's got some healthy torque :)

Great job on your build!

-Luke

WOW!

Awesome.

Time for the trails. It will really be a climber.

What type of controller is that? Maybe I missed that part.
:)

Gunther

gunthn said:
WOW!

Awesome.

Time for the trails. It will really be a climber.

What type of controller is that? Maybe I missed that part.
:)

Gunther

Awsome indeed congrats on an excellent build Burtie time to charge it up and hit the trails !!

gunthin i believe its a HV110 controller Burtie mentioned upgrading the firmware for it so i gather that its what is in use?

KiM

Yeah, looking forward to trying some trails :D but I may try and do some weatherproofing first, to keep the water and crud out!

The controller is an HV110 which I suspect may be a bit undersized for this motor. When I open the throttle wide at low RPM, the motor initially pulls well but sometimes cuts out -like it has lost sync. I have experimented with the PWM and timing parameters on the controller, but have been unable to cure the problem yet.
I know Luke had some similar problem with his Monster build (2 x HXT) a while back -not sure if it was ever resolved.

I wonder if it is the controller current limit kicking in and cutting the power. My watt meter shows 116 amps peak but I guess this may be damped a bit.

If you overcurrent the controller, you will get error flashes from the controller. I think one flash is overcurrent. I know two flashes is LV cutoff. That may be what you are encountering. If you set the LV cutoff too high, the current load will cut out the power. You can also set the LV cutoff for "Soft". That will effectively make an active current limiter based on pack voltage.

Matt

Cheers Matt,
I will try it out tomorrow and check for an error code.

I have to say that this is a sweet build Burtie. So the planetary gearbox seems to be holding up well? How is the chain holding up? You seem to be putting it through it's paces, no babying going on in this video. How much does your bike weigh?

Thanks etard.
The bike weighs about 30kg (66 pounds) with 10 Ah of LiPo onboard.

Planetary box and chain seem to be holding out ok so far, but I have only covered about 20 miles so I guess it is early days yet .

I did some runs today to provoke the high current stalling/loss of sync problem, but after I got it to happen, no error codes were shown by the controller -so I am still guessing.

I assume the controller would continue to indicate if an overcurrent of under voltage problem had occured after the throttle was released :?:

Burtie said:
I did some runs today to provoke the high current stalling/loss of sync problem, but after I got it to happen, no error codes were shown by the controller -so I am still guessing.

This is not good to hear for your or me Bertie as i am using the exact same motor/esc combo I hope you get it sorted please post the "fix" if you do buddy...Best of luck...

Other than this setback are you enjoying the bike more than your cyclone setup ? that was also very impressive i thought!

KiM

Burtie said:
I updated the firmware on the HV110 ESC today, now It makes a really wierd noise as the motor starts up, -sounds like some sort of spaceship.
Not very steathy but quite funny! I think the large bell on that HXT 130 makes for a good sounding device :p

I had the same funny noise when I upgraded my HV110 firmware after I got it back from repair. My HXT 80-100 and 80-85 motors both made the sound. I wish I had tried it with the old firmeware before the upgrade. It only took me two rides to blow the HV 110 up again and cook my HXT 8085 by lugging the controller. The other thing I noticed was that the texboxes of the programming software were not wide enough no matter what screen resolution I used.

Bubba

recumpence said:
Is your motor timing set for "Low"? It should be for outrunners.

Matt

I tried all the timing settings and the funny noise was always there. My controller blew while I was using the outrunner timing mode.

Bubba

In the latest version of the CC controller programming software (the one that I am using), the 'Outrunner Mode' is an option in the PWM menu, so presumably it affects the pwm switching rate.
The timing appears as a separate menu with options of: Low, Normal, High and Custom. Presumably this affects the degree of timing advance, similar to a petrol engine.

I have the PWM mode set to 'Outrunner', and the timing as 'Normal'.
I am pretty sure I tried the 'Low' timing setting and found the torque to be somewhat less, but the loss of sync problem was still evident. I will try it again to be sure.

Unortunately it is raining tonight so I will have to wait :|

I do not want to overplay this loss of sync problem, -the bike is still very useable and behaves well as long as you roll on the throttle gently as the RPMs build up, infact the problem is not evident in the first two gears at all :wink: .

The Cyclone 1200 based bike that I made before Is in almost daily use and working perfectly still. To be honest I think it is a more practical machine, if not quite as exciting as the current project. Much of the practicality is due to the fact that I can just wheel it into the garage or shed and plug it in to recharge (it uses Ping LiFePo batteries).
With the LiPo batteries on the Stikey, I have to unplug them, remove them from the bike, place them in a fireproof environment, connect the chargers .... etc

-But it does feel good when you just need to have a blast! :D

Burtie said:
In the latest version of the CC controller programming software (the one that I am using), the 'Outrunner Mode' is an option in the PWM menu, so presumably it affects the pwm switching rate.
The timing appears as a separate menu with options of: Low, Normal, High and Custom. Presumably this affects the degree of timing advance, similar to a petrol engine.

You are correct. I was trying to use my memory and was have a senior moment.

Bubba

Back