New Bosch drive system

Hi,

Two excerpts:
With today’s announcement of its development partnership with Cannondale, Bosch also revealed more about the e-Bike system it is working on. As is shown on the homepage of http://www.bosch-ebike.com; it’s a bracketdrive that stands out in particular by its advanced sensor-system.

Bosch developed a modular e-Bike powertrain system with which: “Bicycle manufacturers receive new capabilities for profiling. For example, the low space requirements of the system components provide layout freedom for both the design and the position of the battery pack,” says the electronics giant. That battery pack consists of a Lithium-Ion, 288 Wh, 36V, 8Ah battery with integrated cell protection that weighs 2.3 kgs.
Bike%20Europe%20Bosch%20Table%20450.jpg

Great.

Another useless 250w/25kmh system.

Completely pointless at that power level, unless you are disabled.

And it's already illegal here as it is too powerful :roll:

Mark_A_W said:
Great.

And it's already illegal here as it is too powerful :roll:

the able have the use of arms, legs and other appendages. the disabled do not. if any thing the disabled need even higher powered transport as most would be unable to assist the motor in any way.

i consider statement insulting and ill concieved.

rick

Looks like its a geared chain-drive unit of some sort. 250w chain drive my not be fast, but its far from useless. Gears make a much lower level of power useful.

This sounds similar to the Aprilia Enjoy, Giant Lafree and Panasonic pedelec type systems, but with the benefit of a speed sensor.

The problem with the Aprilia is that it only has the pedal torque and pedal frequency sensors so the controller cuts out at a certain cadence (regardless of what gear you are in) because it is based on 25km/hr for 6th gear. In theory the speed sensor on the Bosch system should allow motor assistance at any cadence up to the cut off speed.

jateureka said:
The problem with the Aprilia is that it only has the pedal torque and pedal frequency sensors so the controller cuts out at a certain cadence (regardless of what gear you are in) because it is based on 25km/hr for 6th gear. In theory the speed sensor should allow motor assistance at any cadence up to the cut off speed.

Ahh, at first, being early in the morning, I wondered what the difference is. Yet I recall that in my current mode controlled system, it is often helpful to be able to pedal very fast in a lower gear for a speed burst.

Maybe this is it .... ?

http://www.gepida.hu/index.php?m=product&bike_id=68

Mark_A_W said:
Great.

ok, the 25km/h limit is really not much of use for sporty people (only ok for very hilly areas)
but the 250Watt is a good powerlevel, far from useless - 250Watt is more than most normal biker can put out continuously, let say for 1 hour.

in German forums there where rumours about that drive system some weeks ago, when people met some test-bikes out in real world, faster than 25km/h
so maybe BOSCH will release a S-Pedelec-Version in near future as well ?
like the s-pedelec-version of the Panasonic-system

so maybe 250Watt, and speed limit at 45km/h

if you are sporty driver you can go also with only 250Watt 45km/h fast...

i am interested in hows the weight of the drive-unit is compared to the Panasonic-System

Yes, I'm also interested in the weight of the motor drive assembly.
The one in the Aprillia is quite heavy, but I have not read of any failures so guess it is quite strong.

The aprilia is a clever and well engineered system, considering when it was developed (pre -2000?) and the technology available at the time.
With a less restrictive controller , and modern lighter batteries, i would suggest it is still a very good bike.
With a brushless motor (4+kW ?) and a Alfine rear hub it could be a real nice ride !! :wink:

Miles said:
Another clueless comment......... :p

indeed... The bike Actually falls right under the proposed new Australian laws with
its pedal assist up to 25km/hr only 350 watt max motor output will give the 250watt (approx)
at the rear wheel which also falls in line with the new proposed Law.

Will i buy one? hell no but i am sure thousands will because it is LEGAL in Europe (and possibly Australia
if the new laws go through) Not everyone is a law breaker, least not the big companies that
build the bikes to sell to law abiding citizens BUT-->

Maybe Mark_A_W can explain to us all why a multimillion dollar European company should be building ebikes over 250watt
for on road use, when they are illegal to ride on any roads there?

KiM

Maybe Mark_A_W can explain to us all why a multimillion dollar European company should be building ebikes over 250watt for on road use, when they are illegal to ride on any roads there?

exactly thats the point. but im sure they will release a higher power version for s-pedelec when they find reliable partners. the problem with s-pedelecs is that u have to have certification for every single part that its save for 45 km/h use + certification that the whole bike assembly is save at that speed, (including lots of safety margins). thats the point why its almost impossible for average joe to build one by urself. stupid bureaucratics, its easier to build a street legal car conversion.

finally i think its a good thing that theres another well known company in the ebike thing, especially one with good reputation.

edit: typo

The critics don't get it. If you get a typical casual/recreational bike rider on something with 250w of assist to take the burden out of hills and headwinds, you make biking a MUCH more feasible option for commuting. I can't describe how VALUABLE it is to have a nice assist of even 250watts on hills, especially when commuting when you don't want to work too hard and get sweaty.

This is far from useless and will continue to bring people out of their cars, onto bikes, living healthier and killing less people with their 3000lb polluting machines.

15mph kind of sucks, yeah, but in Europe I think that is the limit for ebikes. It's still enough for commuting in a hilly area.

When will some of you learn that a 1000watt+ electric bike is not a bicycle. If you want a damn motorcycle, get on a motorcycle (or at least a moped/scooter) and stop ragging on BIKES.

BTW, my 450w crank driven ebike gets me up a hill at 16mph with moderate pedaling, Any casual cyclist would be walking that hill. I ride it at 8mph with low-moderate effort on my road racing bike, but I'm a competitive roadie.

That's not to say I myself don't want a powerful fast ebike. I am not the typical consumer though, and I have the skills to handle one.

i totally agree with u. what i want to mention is, that there is the possibility for faster, more powerful ebikes in europe. called s-pedelec, its restricted to 1000w max, 25 km/h without and 45 km/h with pedalling. but ur not able to build one by yourself except u have ur personal lawyer, a secretary, tons of bucks and a year without anything else to do. so all kind of innovation from average joe is limited to that 250w thing. thats annoying and longterm thats not enough to compete in midrange commuting. here in the north of germany its totally flat, noone except very unhealthy people needs electric assist for 25km/h and the crowd of youngsters that want to feel innocent are all drivin that damn smelly and noisy polluting scooter thing. the s-pedelecs ur able to buy look all as u need some kind of retirement verification to drive it. on the other hand there is no problem to convert any kind of car and get a plate and insurance, even if its a 40 year old death trap pile of junk. meanwhile the politiciqans are talkin about "we need a change in energy politics, blahblah..." but they do nothing to make it easier for small and innovative companys and startups that already have finished concepts on what to do. they are hopin the big industrie will save us, maybe they will, but not before they squeezed the last penny we are willin to spent for "traditional" transportation out of us. and they will never do anything that decentralises energy supply and threatens their oligopol.

sorry, i get in rage will writing this, i get upset when im only thinkin about that stupid people tryin to fool the general public, talkin a lot without anything to say.

http://www.bike-eu.com/news/4092/first-impressions-on-bosch-e-bike-system.html

I hope it works with standard frames. It might not be impressive in terms of power/range, but I love the form factor.

Back