Electra-punk

Discussions related to motors other than hub motors.
This includes R/C motors, botttom bracket, roller and geared drives.

Re: Electra-punk

Postby rodgah » Tue Nov 08, 2011 10:20 pm

doc007 wrote:that is a sweet build! it looks like you are running a floating disc brake. when you get a chance can you show some more pics of it?

its a hope mono floating disc. Plenty of members on this forum use them....
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=16457

Bike is now running, I got the forks, new motor plates, chains, mounted everything up. Goes like a dream, so smooth and stable. If I really nail it, the hv160 hits its current limiting, I may adjust the clutch so this doesnt happen or up the current limit. No wheelies but it takes off like a rocket, pulls some weird looks while I'm riding along with traffic thats for sure :lol: .

Few pics added, one of the finished forkleg and one of the new mounts for the drive. Im still waiting on the lid for the box and also some quick release screws from pro-bolt ......

And I still have to disassemble it and finish off all the parts removing all the sweaty hand prints and weld splatter......adding some loops to the frame and fork too to tie the cables to.

Ill post some final pictures and videos once this is all sorted.

Cheers
Common Sense isn't so common........
Specialized BigHit
Electrapunk
Stinky
rodgah
10 kW
10 kW

Postby rodgah » Wed Dec 07, 2011 5:37 am

pics added of the box lid and the cable tie points on the frame. I have cleaned/refinished all of the frame and box for final assembly, even painted the BB tube since rust doesnt really suit it :wink: .

Waiting on some goodies from Matt/Recumpence and she will be finished :D :D

On a side note, my welder friend is making a duplicate of this frame only a fraction heavier. He wants BIG power.....biggest you would seriously throw in it. I said OK AGNI 95R it is :lol: :lol: . He wants to use speedway solo bike wheels (nice and light) and no pedals just pegs. Throw in a butt load of lipo and I'm sure it will have some poke.

Rodger
Specialized BigHit
Electrapunk
Stinky
rodgah
10 kW
10 kW

Postby recumpence » Wed Dec 07, 2011 9:24 am

Cool!

Your box shipped out yesterday "Express Mail". It is guaranteed to be there next Tuesday. :)

Make sure you get a build thread started on that Agni bike. I am interested in seeing that too!

Matt
1% of the world's population can think "Outside the box". The rest are firmly stuck within the box. Where are you?
recumpence
10 GW
10 GW

Location: On Earth right now. That can change at any time, though..........

Postby etard » Wed Dec 07, 2011 9:40 am

Amazing work Rodgah! Is the slipper clutch engaging at all as far as you can tell? Have you tried "locking it out" to see the difference? I would like to see a pic with you on it just to get a size comparison.

+1 on Agni bike pics!
Four wheels moves the body, Two wheels moves the soul
Thanks to Justin @ http://www.ebike.ca He brings the soul to ES
etard
10 MW
10 MW

Postby grindz145 » Wed Dec 07, 2011 10:09 am

Omg, that thing is gorgeous. I'm really interested in people who are bringing art together with ebike technology. We're lacking design. Fantastic work.
grindz145
100 MW
100 MW

Postby rodgah » Wed Dec 07, 2011 4:08 pm

recumpence wrote:Cool!

Your box shipped out yesterday "Express Mail". It is guaranteed to be there next Tuesday. :)

Make sure you get a build thread started on that Agni bike. I am interested in seeing that too!

Matt

Thanks Matt though I have no faith in the postal system delivering any of its promises. I can get stuff to my doorstep faster from Chain reaction or hobby king china than I can from the neighboring states in my own country, but by far the slowest is usually from US/Canada. And even when they guarantee it and its late they blame it on customs :lol: . Either way thanks a million :wink: .

Etard the slipper clutch does slip from time to time(when I really give it curry). It is an odd feeling, and coming from a racing background I find it hard to ignore and keep powering on as usually feeling that meant back off before you cook the clutch pack contaminate the oil and wreck the engine. I have tried locking it out and the amps do peak higher, the bike doesnt feel like its lost alot of power by having it slip, but it makes a dramatic difference to the Amp peaks it was pulling.....so it does its job well. There is a video some pages back of when I first got it rolling to show the size of it......I will get some pictures in the future.

thanks grindz145

There will be a thread for the agni bike but it wont start till after christmas

Rodger
Specialized BigHit
Electrapunk
Stinky
rodgah
10 kW
10 kW

Postby rodgah » Fri Feb 10, 2012 6:39 pm

updates on the first page

Added a photo of the charger lead

Added photos of the new davinci drive bracket and fan cooled 3220 8) ......Thanks very much Matt.

The new bracket sinks ALOT of heat away from the motor, it is just about uniform temp with the motor can. Due to my motor not having any room between the end windings and the front of the can I was only able to drill inside of the rotor gap.....well I was too scared to drill in and see if Id hit the windings LOL. The fan doesn't flow massive amounts of air (very much due to my limited amount of opening) but it blows enough that I can feel it exhausting hot air once the motor gets warm. I think a good comparison would be a dremel at full RPM....about that much air. What I can say is it makes a definite difference to the motor heat, I got bored of being abusive testing it to see if it would over heat, it just stabilized at 60degC and didnt move any higher, though anywhere where I could of coasted, I was instead keeping the motor spinning to keep air moving through it.

I think if you were in the market for a 3220, you would be silly to pass up the big shaft, big bearing, fan cooled model Matt is producing.

Ill hopefully get a few videos in the next few weeks.

Cheers
Specialized BigHit
Electrapunk
Stinky
rodgah
10 kW
10 kW

Postby recumpence » Fri Feb 10, 2012 7:41 pm

That is very good news, indeed.

I have a few new things up my sleeve as far as additional cooling is concerned.

Anyway, I love this bike. I am sooooo glad the heat issue is resolved. :)

Matt
1% of the world's population can think "Outside the box". The rest are firmly stuck within the box. Where are you?
recumpence
10 GW
10 GW

Postby GITech » Fri Feb 10, 2012 8:15 pm

Wow, this is really nice! :shock:

Almost all stainless too! 8)

Can't wait to see it go!

Wow,
Jay
Ebike: Wallmart Genesis frame, unique Lovejoy 2-speed simplified/redundant drive mounted on custom aluminum swingarm conceptualized by me, machined by Thud. Brushless 80-100~100kv w/halls, 16s6p - 59.9v, 30Ah, 1.7+KWh, Fully Loaded Lyen 12 FET 3077 controller w/ Cycle-Analyst, full custom lighting.

Thanks to Justin at ebikes.ca for saving ES!

Ideas and projects by GITech are protected by: http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-nd/3.0/
GITech
100 W
100 W

Postby sn0wchyld » Fri Feb 10, 2012 11:39 pm

sounds good mate! makes me wish I had the $$ to front for what sounds like a near bullet proof motor!
Any thoughts on the possibility of running the fan of a small low watt high rpm motor, like a blower fan off a laptop or something? that way you'd have continuous cooling even when stopped, at the cost of just a few watts or so? removes the drag of the fan off your driving motor too (though I doubt its enough to warrant the 2nd motor for this reason alone)
My builds:
http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=29373
Norko Aline Park DH - Clyte HT3525 - 24s lipo
http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=33657&p=534823#p534823
'02ish Avanti D8 - 8085 170kv - 5s 40ah lipo - ple80 recution
http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=43143
RC Electric mountainboard
http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=57489
RC longboard with my own CNC routered parts!
sn0wchyld
100 kW
100 kW

Postby rodgah » Sat Feb 11, 2012 12:15 am

either/or. I guess the electric fan would be beneficial at idle/not running, but then is there a fan that runs on 50V? if not then you need a DC/DC....it gets complicated. plus who can deny the lure of more CNC :wink:
Specialized BigHit
Electrapunk
Stinky
rodgah
10 kW
10 kW

Postby GITech » Sat Feb 11, 2012 12:24 am

Amen! ra!

:wink: ,
Jay
Ebike: Wallmart Genesis frame, unique Lovejoy 2-speed simplified/redundant drive mounted on custom aluminum swingarm conceptualized by me, machined by Thud. Brushless 80-100~100kv w/halls, 16s6p - 59.9v, 30Ah, 1.7+KWh, Fully Loaded Lyen 12 FET 3077 controller w/ Cycle-Analyst, full custom lighting.

Thanks to Justin at ebikes.ca for saving ES!

Ideas and projects by GITech are protected by: http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-nd/3.0/
GITech
100 W
100 W

Postby recumpence » Sat Feb 11, 2012 6:59 am

I considered electric fans. However, with the drive pulling heat from the motor can, you do not need additional cooling at rest.

I would not object to electric fans, though. :)

Matt
recumpence
10 GW
10 GW

Postby gwhy! » Sun Feb 12, 2012 5:59 pm

rodgah wrote:either/or. I guess the electric fan would be beneficial at idle/not running, but then is there a fan that runs on 50V? if not then you need a DC/DC....it gets complicated. plus who can deny the lure of more CNC :wink:

With the fan ( if you decide to use a one ) you could use 4 tiny (1" ) 12v fans and wire them in series then you would not need a DC/DC converter. just a thought :D
gwhy!
100 kW
100 kW

Postby rodgah » Tue Jun 18, 2013 5:30 am

just for an update.....

Specialized BigHit
Electrapunk
Stinky
rodgah
10 kW
10 kW

Postby full-throttle » Tue Jun 18, 2013 6:04 am

Cool video!
full-throttle
10 MW
10 MW

Postby Danny Mayes » Tue Jun 18, 2013 7:32 am

Love it rodgah
Danny Mayes
100 W
100 W

Postby rodgah » Tue Jun 18, 2013 5:32 pm

thanks guys,

should of made a video a long time ago. The batteries are getting re-purposed out of this bike into another so I thought I would take it for a ride and video before it is pulled down.
Specialized BigHit
Electrapunk
Stinky
rodgah
10 kW
10 kW

Postby jansevr » Wed Jul 31, 2013 7:56 pm

wow! i've seen your builds before and have to say - beautiful welds! i really like the style of this bike especially. i have never been a huge fan of rc drives but can definitely appreciate the time put into such a build. i know the hv160 is rated around 7.5kw and it seems like you might be close to that? it looks pretty fast - and good handling too! if possible could you tell me what kind of wh/mi you get riding like in the video compared to taking it easy and averaging 25-30 mph?
jansevr
100 W
100 W

Postby John in CR » Wed Jul 31, 2013 9:41 pm

Great epunk ebike! Nice to see someone else man enough and rides careful enough to let your toes breathe.
John in CR
100 GW
100 GW

Postby 1000w » Thu Aug 01, 2013 1:21 am

Brilliant build and very cool vid, well done all round.
Cheers,
Matt.
1000w
1 kW
1 kW

Postby rodgah » Thu Aug 01, 2013 6:14 am

jansevr wrote:wow! i've seen your builds before and have to say - beautiful welds! i really like the style of this bike especially. i have never been a huge fan of rc drives but can definitely appreciate the time put into such a build. i know the hv160 is rated around 7.5kw and it seems like you might be close to that? it looks pretty fast - and good handling too! if possible could you tell me what kind of wh/mi you get riding like in the video compared to taking it easy and averaging 25-30 mph?

Yeah all of the 7kw and more, hitting the cut off sometimes (160a @ 50V) its at about the limit I think the frame and forks can take for long term use. I wouldnt have a clue what the wh/mile would be, I have never really rode it more than maybe 10km's at one time. It has no battery in it now for me to test, it is getting a makeover soon with a small 12s1p 8ah nanotech pack when i have the funds, as I never ride it far and its just too intricate to clean all of the time.

John in CR wrote:Great epunk ebike! Nice to see someone else man enough and rides careful enough to let your toes breathe.

thanks John, haha I am sure I have other videos of my toes out in the wind.....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9wR2KKu1ASg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Khr2tfEc06M
14kw toe action there :lol: I obviously care about my head more than my toes

Cheers Matt, you need some lipo on your bikes :P
Last edited by rodgah on Thu Aug 01, 2013 6:15 am, edited 1 time in total. View post history.
Specialized BigHit
Electrapunk
Stinky
rodgah
10 kW
10 kW

PreviousNext

Return to E-Bike Non-hub Motor Drives