The *Genesis* is only the begining...

Discussions related to motors other than hub motors.
This includes R/C motors, botttom bracket, roller and geared drives.

Re: The *Genesis* is only the begining...

Postby GITech » Thu Mar 01, 2012 6:50 pm

gensem wrote:Jay, do you have a clue about the power that plan to run? roughly?

I'm looking at a rewound ~100kv 80-100 motor (I'm thinking Zig-Zag DLRK in delta, 2x11turns I think but not sure yet, AWG=not sure yet), 18 fet controller with 3077 fets because of my "lower" ~60v voltage, a cycle analyst, and 20Ah/1+KWh worth of capacity.

Anyway, sorry I've been away, but believe me I'm working my tail off over here trying to build up funds for my build, and working with Thud on the drive train! :D

I should at least have some new drawings ready to show here soon.

Later,
Jay
Last edited by GITech on Thu Apr 05, 2012 11:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ebike: Wallmart Genesis frame, unique Lovejoy 2-speed simplified/redundant drive mounted on custom aluminum swingarm conceptualized by me, machined by Thud. Brushless 80-100~100kv w/halls, 16s6p - 59.9v, 30Ah, 1.7+KWh, Fully Loaded Lyen 12 FET 3077 controller w/ Cycle-Analyst, full custom lighting.

Thanks to Justin at ebikes.ca for saving ES!

Ideas and projects by GITech are protected by: http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-nd/3.0/
GITech
100 W
100 W

Postby thepronghorn » Thu Mar 01, 2012 10:10 pm

Perhaps you may want to backorder these items you speak of..... :wink: That way you can sort of "get in line" to buy these items.
thepronghorn
100 W
100 W

Postby GITech » Fri Mar 02, 2012 1:48 pm

Hi thepronghorn,

I can't tell you how much I'd love too.

A few days ago I had just enough cash to buy 8 of them, enough to get me going. I'm a stay at home dad selling off my "old" stuff to finance this build as it can save me money over time down the road (pun :) ), ya know.

During the last couple of months of my last car and my job my 'old' car, a 1991 ford (butt) probe was really falling apart and I got 4 tickets for crap like one for the muffler and another for a tail light in about a 1 month period of time. I had just moved out of the "city" and into the "suburbs" so you know how these cops are towards not so nice cars! Though, that car WAS just unsafe to drive anymore, so I got another car (1995 buick lesabre) with it's windows broken out and slashed tires for $300 and it cost me ~$900 dollars total to put it on the road. It is a "florida" car so it has less rust underneath it than it has in its' roof and runs good and quiet! But, as when it rains it 'poors' (pun?!) that's when I lost my job so the tickets went un-answered, and now I have 3 'stupid' suspensions on my license. Shame on me, yea.. :( but sometimes that's how the cookie crumbles. Anyway, I still drive when I need to. In the 17 years I've been driving I've never had an accident with another car, and I've had two RX-7's so...they can suck it!

I've got my front wheelset up in the for sale section, any takers/traders/helpers? :) viewtopic.php?f=9&t=37318

Take care and TTYL,
Jay
Last edited by GITech on Thu Apr 05, 2012 11:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ebike: Wallmart Genesis frame, unique Lovejoy 2-speed simplified/redundant drive mounted on custom aluminum swingarm conceptualized by me, machined by Thud. Brushless 80-100~100kv w/halls, 16s6p - 59.9v, 30Ah, 1.7+KWh, Fully Loaded Lyen 12 FET 3077 controller w/ Cycle-Analyst, full custom lighting.

Ideas and projects by GITech are protected by: http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-nd/3.0/
GITech
100 W
100 W

Postby gensem » Sat Mar 17, 2012 12:06 am

As requested...

Dont know how it is in action but it does look good
(might need to swap the 600lbs spring for a 300-400one)
A decent 25mph bike will cost around $1000.
A decent 35mph bike will cost around $2000.
A $1000 35mph bike will get you killed.
Justin we really appreciate what you did!
gensem
1 MW
1 MW

Postby crossbreak » Tue Mar 20, 2012 5:29 pm

You should keep an eye on chain tension if you want to build them yourself. It isn't as easy as it seems. I broke 2 chains yet because my mine (third tenstioner) failed. Maybe my fourth attempt might interest you (it's not my design but it shows the principle). It varys the distance between the axles (it's not usable on a shaft, you need a hub for the gears or an additional ball bearing in the sheet):
Last edited by crossbreak on Sun Mar 25, 2012 6:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
crossbreak
10 MW
10 MW

Postby GITech » Fri Mar 23, 2012 7:45 pm

gensem wrote:As requested...

Dont know how it is in action but it does look good
(might need to swap the 600lbs spring for a 300-400one)

Thanks Gensem, have you had a chance to try it out yet?

crossbreak wrote:You should keep an eye on chain tension if you want to build them yourself. It isn't as easy as it seems. I broke 2 chains yet because my mine (third tenstioner) failed. Maybe my fourth attempt might interest you (it's not my design but it shows the principle). It varys the distance between the axles (it's not usable on a shaft, you need a hub for the gears):

Crossbreak, Did you post this in the wrong thread? Build what myself? You couldn't have known I had a change of plan to make the swingarm myself. What are these? ;) :)

Onto an update:

Ok, I've let you all think I'm in trouble with this build for too long. Sorry I haven't updated the thread sooner as my fortune has changed. :oops:

So things have turned around and the build is moving forward at a good pace thanks to a generous donation from a loved one. I have ordered the lipos and now have nearly everything here to do the build, yea!

I have also decided to do the custom swingarm myself in alu! :twisted: I just need to find someone to weld it all up now. (anyone? :D )

Sorry I don't have much time to finish this at the moment. Here's some quick pics:

The blue transparent outline is the original/symmetrical design. I have had to add 12mm to and offset the left side to make room so the brake rotor/caliper and the 2nd gear sprocket would all have clearance. :)

Thanks guys and TTYL,
Jay

GITech
100 W
100 W

Postby kevo » Fri Mar 23, 2012 8:51 pm

So things have turned around and the build is moving forward at a good pace

Glad to hear it, watching your thread with great interest. Great drawings and you're wise to use Thud's expertise to get you through!
Thanks Justin of http://ebikes.ca for your amazing talents, dedication and contributions to ES!
Post licensed under "Open Source" http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-nd/3.0/
kevo
1 kW
1 kW

Postby gensem » Fri Mar 23, 2012 10:25 pm

Im yet to test it... still waiting on the frame and swing arm.
A decent 25mph bike will cost around $1000.
A decent 35mph bike will cost around $2000.
A $1000 35mph bike will get you killed.
Justin we really appreciate what you did!
gensem
1 MW
1 MW

Postby GITech » Sun Mar 25, 2012 4:52 pm

kevo wrote:
So things have turned around and the build is moving forward at a good pace

Glad to hear it, watching your thread with great interest. Great drawings and you're wise to use Thud's expertise to get you through!

Yes, Thuds advice has been invaluable! I would have even ended up making it wrong and doing it twice I'm sure if it wasn't for thuds advice!

For example; that the 2nd gear side would need more clearance in order for the brake rotor and calliper to have room. What a great guy, I'm tellin' ya! He has made some quite long and detailed emails that have really helped me out and have furthered my understanding and awareness of a lot of things! Above and beyond! 8)

And thanks man! :)

gensem wrote:Im yet to test it... still waiting on the frame and swing arm.

Ah, ok. :oops: Thanks for the update! Slow shipping?

GITech
100 W
100 W

Postby crossbreak » Sun Mar 25, 2012 6:18 pm

Crossbreak, Did you post this in the wrong thread? Build what myself? You couldn't have known I had a change of plan to make the swingarm myself. What are these?

I meant the chain tensioners, do you build them yourself? i see that in your design it's possible to move the rear axle, that's not sufficient without support (even not for most pedal bikes, if you pedal hard). The picture I posted would be a great tensioner (or tension-keeper). If you just tighten the nuts of you rear axle without additional support, it will start to move when you pull the throttle and the chain tension will be lost, then your backwheel stuck on the frame or the chain may crack.

You also need a tensioner for the chain from the motor to the jackshaft. I can't see any in your design. Maybe you should consider to make the motor mount screws also relocatable in by slots like you did with your rear axle. You won't need a tension-keeper for this chain because chain pull will be much weaker.
crossbreak
10 MW
10 MW

Postby GITech » Tue Apr 03, 2012 4:55 pm

crossbreak wrote:
Crossbreak, Did you post this in the wrong thread? Build what myself? You couldn't have known I had a change of plan to make the swingarm myself. What are these?

I meant the chain tensioners, do you build them yourself? i see that in your design it's possible to move the rear axle, that's not sufficient without support (even not for most pedal bikes, if you pedal hard). The picture I posted would be a great tensioner (or tension-keeper). If you just tighten the nuts of you rear axle without additional support, it will start to move when you pull the throttle and the chain tension will be lost, then your backwheel stuck on the frame or the chain may crack.

You also need a tensioner for the chain from the motor to the jackshaft. I can't see any in your design. Maybe you should consider to make the motor mount screws also relocatable in by slots like you did with your rear axle. You won't need a tension-keeper for this chain because chain pull will be much weaker.

Hi crossbreak,

Ah, yes. I will have to look into chain tensioners for the rear axle! Something I knew I probably needed but haven't done the research on yet. :roll:

For the motor I am going to do up a simple angle aluminum bracket and I do plan to make the motor mounting bolt holes long so the motor can be moved to provide correct chain tension here.

Also, I'm hoping I can get away with no springy type chain slack tentioners for the main 1st and 2nd gear drive chains by selecting sprocket size ratios for each side that will yield an equal length/distance for both sides from the jackshaft to the rear axle. That way I can just use rear axle chain tensioners like the ones you posted, but I think I will look for the screw adjustable types.

Enough about me...I now shine the spotlight on Thuds work! :shock: :twisted:

...Excerpt from Thuds email that included these pics. No need to try and explain it any different than Thud has...

Hey J,

Here is what Ive done tonight:
opend up the 4 #25 drive sprockets to 12mm.

cut the taper out of the 21t #35 to accept the lovejoy thingamajiig.
I cut a small relief on the dogs of the clutch acting lovejoy & discoverd that these are actually cast iron.
this means they machine very easy....but are kinda weak for absorbing impact...your cush drive will be required i suspect.
Also welding the lovejoy to the steel spocket is also out of the question. I will braze the lovejoy onto the steel #35. should be fine IMHO.

Next I started modding the slipper clutch....started by thining down the bushing so the friction pads can seat firmly on the sprocket....& what to my supprize??? its made of cast iron also LOL...(absolutly fine in this application...loaded with graphite dendrals) then I opend up the driven #25 to 1.625 to fit the slipper. walk in the park.

Things left to do:
bush down the slipper to fit the 5/8" shaft.
broach your freewheels to slip onto a free-hub
braze the lovejoy into the #35
cut a couple lengths of shaft for you.

Super AWESOME Thud! You now have an excess of good karma!!! In fact, if there were such a thing as a karma bank...Thud would be a billionair!!! :D :mrgreen:

Hey, would anyone like to weld up this swingarm for me? :?: :) How much?

Later,
Jay

GITech
100 W
100 W

Postby GITech » Wed Apr 11, 2012 12:35 pm

Just a quick update.

I've got a quote for having the swingarm welded up. I was told $65-$85. Does that sound reasonable to you guys?

Here are some pics of it before it goes off for welding.

Here you can see I shaved these solid bars of 6061-T6 down to fit inside of the main rails for some reenforcement. I will have the swingarm welded up without these installed so that they do not change temper at all during the welding process. I will insert them afterwords and they will be held in place by friction and the rear axle bolt.

Here you can see it all marked up for the welder to do his job. I just guessed at how to do this, he just told me "forget drawings..just mark it up" (?!) You can also see the huge chunk of alu I will use for the motor mounting plate. I'm thinking it is wide enough that it will stand up on it's own with 2 or 3 huge bolts drilled and tapped into its' bottom edge, and I can cut a bunch of groves into it to make it an effective heatsink and lighten it up.

Here's a bunch of stuff that will go towards the electrical system. I've got my work cut out for me, and this doesn't even include the electric shifter and the full custom LED lighting I've got planed.

One last pic...Look at Lily! I did not put here up there! :shock: She is still less than 1yr old. That was scary to find her up on the table! She climbed from that purple powerwheels thing next to the table, but that's a huge gap to traverse and the table is slippery. Crazy girl! :mrgreen:

Later,
Jay

GITech
100 W
100 W

Postby crossbreak » Wed Apr 11, 2012 1:29 pm

I've got a quote for having the swingarm welded up. I was told $65-$85. Does that sound reasonable to you guys?

I payed the same for welding an exhaust aluminium pipe with only three welds here in Germany.
Sounds reasonable for me. Remember, the welder has to clean everything etc. That takes its time
Your swing arm really looks stiff. I hope it wont weight a ton. Looks a little to wide.
BTW what are the braking levers made for? you should really use hydraulics! I didn't mean you should use this crab when I said you shouldn't bother with brakes...

Your child looks like she wants to become a true mountain beater :D
crossbreak
10 MW
10 MW

Postby GITech » Wed Apr 11, 2012 1:59 pm

crossbreak wrote:

I payed the same for welding an exhaust aluminum pipe with only three welds here in Germany.
Sounds reasonable for me. Remember, the welder has to clean everything etc. That takes its time
Your swing arm really looks stiff. I hope it wont weight a ton. Looks a little to wide.
BTW what are the braking levers made for? you should really use hydraulics! I didn't mean you should use this crab when I said you shouldn't bother with brakes...

Your child looks like she wants to become a true mountain beater :D

Yea, I thought it was a good price for the welding. :)

I just weighed it all up and the swingarm with the extra support bars weighs 4lbs-14oz total. The motor mount plate weighs 3lbs-8oz, but that should be cut down to less than half that once it is all cut up to the correct size and finned for heat dissipation. So ~6.5-7lbs when it's all done? Plus the wheel, jackshaft w/gears and torque limiter, and motor...maybe 15lbs on the rear when done? What are your thoughts on this?

I had to add 12mm to the left side of the swingarm to make room for the disk brake/caliper, and the #35 chain and its' sprocket, upon the advice of Thud. So that makes a total of 147mm at the axle inside the swingarm. Each side of the swingarm is 19mm thick so..147+19+19= 185mm wide total. I will use this 220mm bolt as an axle: http://www.fastenal.com/web/products/de ... u=11114435 What do you think?

I am kind of stuck with the mech brakes...I figured, at the time, that I had to go with mech brakes in order to use the switching brake levers from Lyen. Since then I have come across a thread on here that showed someone using magnetic reed switches with hydro brakes to accomplish the same thing. Doh!

How bad is it that I'll use mech disk brakes? I 'am' using 203mm brake rotors with 20" tires. It looks like I've got a lot of braking advantage...over say a 165mm rotor on a 26" rim, ya know?! I'd like your opinion. ;)

Yes, Lily's favorite thing seems to be climbing now! She wasn't happy in her play area until I put that powerwheels in there, which she loves to climb all over like it's a jungle gym. It keeps her busy and I happy about that! :D I will have her on a bike as soon as possible!!! :mrgreen:

Later,
Jay

GITech
100 W
100 W

Postby crossbreak » Thu Apr 12, 2012 5:46 am

I also use a mech brake on the rear tire to use the switching brake handle for safety. Thats ok 'case the rear wheel will block anyway even with a mech disk brake. The mech disk brake can dissipate as much heat as a hydro of the same disk size.

The front wheel can take much more braking load so a hydro brake has a big advantage, cause it bites harder.

mopeds often use hydro disks on the front an mech drum brakes on the rear wheel.
crossbreak
10 MW
10 MW

Postby GITech » Thu Apr 12, 2012 1:39 pm

crossbreak wrote:I also use a mech brake on the rear tire to use the switching brake handle for safety. Thats ok 'case the rear wheel will block anyway even with a mech disk brake. The mech disk brake can dissipate as much heat as a hydro of the same disk size.

The front wheel can take much more braking load so a hydro brake has a big advantage, cause it bites harder.

mopeds often use hydro disks on the front an mech drum brakes on the rear wheel.

You meant "The mech disk brake CAN'T dissipate as much heat as a hydro of the same disk size." correct?

If what I have doesn't hold up then I will be forced to change it for something better, ie hydros. Thanks man. ;)

I would like to start rewinding my 80-100 and I need some help. I would like to land somewhere in the 110-120kv range.

But I have a question that I have done a ton of looking for in threads here but I still have one nagging question; If I am using regen, do I NEED to wind it with Wye termination? My concern stems from people saying that hall timing changes for motor direction with a delta wind motor, but Wye hall timing is neutral. I can't figure out if this is true only for controlling the motor in one direction or another, or if this extends to the motor being used in two modes= run and regen?

Thanks,
Jay

GITech
100 W
100 W

Postby crossbreak » Thu Apr 12, 2012 2:20 pm

You meant "The mech disk brake CAN'T dissipate as much heat as a hydro of the same disk size." correct?

No. The dissipation of heat grows linearly with the size of the disk. It does not matter if you use a mech or hydro type. The hydro brake just bites harder with less lever engagement.

If the timings are neutral it does not matter if you power or regen. Same in STAR and WYE as far as I know. I didnt use regen yet, cause it makes only makes sense on very steep hills.

I would recommend a lower KV for more torque and less speed because of noise. I ran mine with 130KV and 37Volts and it was loud as hell. I go for 36Volt 100amp with 75KV STAR now, also because of the hall issue. I just love to ride my 500Watts tongxin middrive cause it's noiseless (friction planetary drive holds up yet).

How do you pedal on your bike? I see no pedals so I gues you don't.

Your concept has really inspired me :D I plan my fourth bike now with 3-speed gearhub as gearbox build into the frame and no pedals at all (I see that pedals suck, they cause more complexity and weight) . I bought a relatively cheap used centurion frame for it, got it today:
crossbreak
10 MW
10 MW

Postby GITech » Mon Apr 16, 2012 10:16 am

CB; I'll reply later 2day, I've got to run to the bank to make sure I don't go under because; ;)

The 4s1p hardcase packs are in stock at HK: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/stor ... _pack.html :!: Just a heads up :!:

...And look what Thud did! :shock: :twisted:

Thank you Thud! I ask Thud if he might be able to get all this stuff done for me before mine and Lily's birthday 4/20 and 4/21 so I could have my ebike, in what ever state it is in, at the family picnic we will have on sat the 21st to celebrate our Bdays, and what do you know?! ...about 1-1/2 days later I get an email saying it's all done! Man I wish I was as great a guy as Thud is! 8)

TTYL,
Jay

GITech
100 W
100 W

Postby etard » Tue Apr 17, 2012 6:58 pm

Cool stuff man! Thud will come through and overnight that shit if you need it. You can also be certain all those bolts are 1/4-20", huh Thud? :lol: :wink:
Four wheels moves the body, Two wheels moves the soul
Thanks to Justin @ http://www.ebike.ca He brings the soul to ES
etard
10 MW
10 MW

Postby Thud » Tue Apr 17, 2012 7:03 pm

Bahhh hahahah! I WIN!!!! those are ALL 6x1mm metrics my good etard man!
(I bought metric last time i re-stocked...was working on bunch stuff for guys on the continent, just seemed the right thing to do.)
G-man, your box should be there tomorrow!
get some......

All information & advice provided by Thud are "Open Source" & free for personal use & distribution under the following agreement linked below.
http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-nd/3.0/
Thud
100 MW
100 MW

Postby GITech » Tue Apr 17, 2012 11:00 pm

Yeay! Yea, this is so cool and thud is my new luv! Hehehehehe

And de swingarm should be all welded up too! Kevin the welder said all he has left to do is attach the pivot tube! (Proper name??)

Tomorrow is gonna be a big day! I hope I can at least make it a ridable bike for the day at the park!

From my phone, later,
Jay

GITech
100 W
100 W

Postby GITech » Wed May 09, 2012 11:53 am

Quick update.

I broke my collar bone into 3 pieces ~2 weeks ago. Now have a plate and screws in my shoulder... :roll:

I've begun my rewind (1-1/2 handed :P ). The start came out good, but I can tell that I can't get double 6turns of 13awg wire on there for a full rewind...sooooo close, but no go. I just got 14awg wire in today so I will be starting over and do a double 14awg 6turn wye wind.

Here is my latest sketchup with what I think will be the final lipo layout on my build.

For charging I'm using:

Meanwell clones for $40 each: http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=swi ... supply+24v (Change the voltage in the search for what you need)

and..

Fechter's Mini Meanwell Limiter V.3: http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewto ... 16s+charge

I'm using a 36v and a 27v with fetcher's board on it. ;)

The total cost comes to ~$110.00 for a 700+ watt user adjustable charger! :D

For ~$80 more you could double the power to ~1400w by adding 2 more (series) power supplies in parrallel.

Fetchers board can also take a 5v-g signal from things like the cell log-8 to stop charging if any cell goes over ~4.22v: http://epbuddy.com/index.php?main_page= ... qnbnbpv2a7 (They also have all the plugs and cables you could ask for. Hint: check under the "connectors tab for some hidden balance leads, the 8s ones I needed anyway.)

And here are some pics of how it looks now running with only first grear, my old stock 130kv 80-100 motor, a 190-200amp super simple ESC on 6s, with a servo speed regulator and a Multi function watt meter w/ the screen on a ribbon cable and mounted to the dash:

Here is a closeup of my thumb throttle I modded into a finger throttle, I like it! :D

It is UN-STOPABLE even on only 6s on hills so steep the rear wheel slips or the bike wheelies up! :twisted: Though my top speed is only ~7mph..but that was enough to brake my collar bone onto 3 peices... :roll: :)

Later,
Jay

GITech
100 W
100 W

Postby crossbreak » Wed May 09, 2012 5:49 pm

your seatpost frightens me...

it's... super simple

also the length of your bottom bracket shaft... even if it's just...super fail?

your swing arm and trnasmission btw, is looking good... will you have any gear to shift while pedaling?

injury is a thing to learn...just like your child does ( i hope she is fine btw..)
crossbreak
10 MW
10 MW

Postby Kin » Wed May 09, 2012 7:46 pm

Sweet! I'm only surprised by one thing- it looks like you're using XT60s, I thought they were only good for 60amps? I suppose you're probably not running remotely 60 amps continuously- is that why they work? [i.e, are 80-100amp bursts ok on the XT60s?]
New to endless-sphere? Notice a lot of signatures recommending Ebike.ca? That's because it's the best place for a quality and manageable, (but still 'real'), first build. Justin is a solid supporter of electric bike development, and a good source of equipment.

My hat off a thousand times to the green people that effectively run this forum. The ES Mods are superb.
Kin
100 kW
100 kW

Postby Thud » Wed May 09, 2012 8:02 pm

1st, Props for getting that bike shot-guned together for the party....that had to be a blur of throw together....

Now, speaking as a motocrosser who has never broken a collar bone....ouch.
prolly a cool scare at least :twisted:
get some......

All information & advice provided by Thud are "Open Source" & free for personal use & distribution under the following agreement linked below.
http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-nd/3.0/
Thud
100 MW
100 MW

PreviousNext

Return to E-Bike Non-hub Motor Drives