Newbie from Norway building JR e-trials bike.

Mo®ten

10 mW
First i want to say hello to all of you. My name is Morten, I`m 43 years old and live in southern Norway.
Motorcycle/moped building has been my great passion the last years, but now My son is 5 years old and I want to build him a trials bike.
He has been riding his Peewee 50 for two years. Thrustable, but noisy bike with terrible suspension.

I have been lurking around here and other places on internet for recearch.
This is what I`ve ordered and what My plans are:

- Steel framed full suspension 20" mountain bike.
- Onza 19/20" bike trials wheels with Maxxis tires.
- Pit bike USD front fork.
- Turnigy Aerodrive SK3 - 6374-149kv Brushless Outrunner Motor.
- TURNIGY K-Force 120A-HV OPTO V2 5-12S Brushless ESC with program box and servo tester to run it.
- Turnigy nano-tech 8000mAh 5S 25~50C Lipo Pack
- Self made primary timing belt gear box 12/48T 4:1
- Secondary. 11/22T 2:1 chain driven.

I hope this will give me what I want. A light bike with good torque and top speed around 30km/h (18mp/h)
Please feel free to comment this setup, as i said: I`m a newbie..... and I dont want to fall into any traps..

1004189y.jpg

18184.jpg

Specs:
Kv (rpm/v) 149
Weight (g) 840
Max Current (A) 70
Resistance (mh) 21
Max Voltage (V) 44
Power(W) 2250
Shaft A (mm) 8
Length B (mm) 86
Diameter C (mm) 59
Can Length D (mm) 61
Total Length E (mm) 113

89212.jpg

Specs:
Output: Continuous 120A, burst 180A up to 10 seconds.
Input Voltage: 5-12 cells lithium battery or 15-36 cells NIMH battery.
BEC: None.
Control Signal Transmission: Optically coupled system.
Max Speed;
2 Pole: 210,000rpm
6 Pole: 70,000rpm
12 pole: 35,000rpm
Size: 88mm (L) * 55mm (W) * 15mm (H).
Weight: 125g

182091n.jpg

Specs:
Capacity: 8000mAh
Voltage: 5S1P / 5 Cell / 18.5V
Discharge: 25C Constant / 50C Burst
Weight: 924g (including wire, plug & case)
Dimensions: 194x45x47mm
Balance Plug: JST-XH
Discharge Plug: 5mm bullet-connector

For you who like motorcycles, this is My blog, please do not comment in this thread. http://midgardfactory.blogspot.no/

Please excuse my bad english.....

Hi Mortan, and welcome to ES,

Yes you have a good plan just one suggestion you will need a sensored controller and fit sensors to the motor for trials but apart from that the motor will be able to put out more than enough power for such a small bike :D

have a read through this thread and it should point you in the right direction http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=32042

edit:
just noticed you have already ordered the controller :( , never mind it will give you a starting point

gwhy! said:
Hi Mortan, and welcome to ES,

Yes you have a good plan just one suggestion you will need a sensored controller and fit sensors to the motor for trials but apart from that the motor will be able to put out more than enough power for such a small bike :D

have a read through this thread and it should point you in the right direction http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=32042

edit:
just noticed you have already ordered the controller :( , never mind it will give you a starting point

Thanks for your reply gwhy, nice work on your trials bike ! :D
Your thread gave Me some usefull tips. Now I understand why I should have used sensored motors in My RC-crawlers :idea:

Well as you say.. this will give Me a starting point.
I know it may be a bit over powered, but I`m starting with low voltage. (any problems with that, burned motor, esc or others ?)
If it does not work I will volt it up and gear it down.
My plan was to give My son some fun, not break all his bones..... :lol: I may let My neighbours son do the first test run.....

Mo®ten said:
I may let My neighbours son do the first test run.....

:lol: I let my son-in-law do all my initial testing....

Those motors are small but they can pack a punch, this is a small vid of a project that I done a couple of months ago using a simular motor draging a full size adult around on a pit bike
[youtube]QlKB8OBw0x0[/youtube]

gwhy! said:
Those motors are small but they can pack a punch, this is a small vid of a project that I done a couple of months ago using a simular motor draging a full size adult around on a pit bike

I see what you mean :D do you remember the gear ratio on that thing ?

not off hand, but it was geared for around 22mph, 10" wheels , motor is 170rpv, and run on 48v, it had (I think) 12t on the motor to 30t (6mm chain and sprockets )then a 12t to 65t on the rear ( kart chain and sprockets)

gwhy! said:
not off hand, but it was geared for around 22mph, 10" wheels , motor is 170rpv, and run on 48v, it had (I think) 12t on the motor to 30t (6mm chain and sprockets )then a 12t to 65t on the rear ( kart chain and sprockets)

Thank you, with a quick calculation I see that my setup sees sense.
At the moment I`m waiting for parts, painfull time..... where do you buy your sensor parts ?

Edit: I noticed the satisfied "HMMP" in the end of your vid :D

Me and my best friend Myford started on the primary gear box tonight.

20120921222123.jpg

Miles said:
Good to see another Myford on the forum :D

He he :D "The Myford mob"

Really nice and clean, I have to do some something with mine too.
But I`m impressed how good these machines are, I dont think someone ever have done anything with mine since 1946 when it was new.

Got the parts from HobbyKing today and made a quick mock-up to see if there is room for everything.

swingarm.jpg

gearboxo.jpg

Mo®ten said:
Got the parts from HobbyKing today and made a quick mock-up to see if there is room for everything.

swingarm.jpg

gearboxo.jpg

Utrolig fint arbeid,jobber du i flybransjen?
Er ikke så vanlig med nagler ellers rundtom(pluss ryddig benk ;) ). Har du tenkt på tap mtp rotoren og aluminumen som står litt vel nærme?

Very neat build looking forward to see it evolve
gwhy! said:
"ghwy" what controller and battery set up did you use in this? was is a standard outrunner or rewound?

winchmeup said:

Ratking said:
Er ikke så vanlig med nagler ellers rundtom(pluss ryddig benk ;) ). Har du tenkt på tap mtp rotoren og aluminumen som står litt vel nærme?

Thank you both :)

Jeg jobber som tekniker på en kunsthall, ikke i flybransjen nei. Har vel med meg en del fra div RC, båt, crawler, osv.
Ikke nagler, det er umbrako med kulehode :wink:
Har ikke tenkt noe videre på tapet, tror ikke det blir et stort problem siden jeg girer meg så langt ned.
Hele greia med guttungen oppå kommer til å veie rundt 40kg så det er ikke så mye å dra på heller.
Det er plass nok rundt motoren, bildene lyver litt.

Please back to english :wink:

Ratking said:
Incredibly nice work, do you work in the airline industry?
Is not that common nails otherwise rundtom (plus neat bench;)). Have you thought about the loss mtp rotor and aluminum standing a little too close?

Mo®ten said:
Jeg jobber som tekniker på en kunsthall, ikke i flybransjen nei. Har vel med meg en del fra div RC, båt, crawler, osv.
Har ikke tenkt noe videre på tapet, tror ikke det blir et stort problem siden jeg girer meg så langt ned.
Hele greia med guttungen oppå kommer til å veie rundt 40kg så det er ikke så mye å dra på heller.
I work as a technician in the art hall, not in the airline industry no. Does well with me part of div RC boat, crawler, etc.
No nails, it's Allen with ball head: wink:
Do not plan anything ahead of the loss, do not think it will be a big problem since I gearing me so far.
The whole thing with kid on top is going to weigh around 40kg so there is not much to go on either.
There is enough space around the motor, the pictures lie a little.

How is the machine translation from Norwegian? :)

Miles said:
Ratking said:
Incredibly nice work, do you work in the airline industry?
Is not that common nails otherwise rundtom (plus neat bench;)). Have you thought about the loss mtp rotor and aluminum standing a little too close?

Mo®ten said:
I work as a technician in the art hall, not in the airline industry no. Does well with me part of div RC boat, crawler, etc.
No nails, it's Allen with ball head: wink:
Do not plan anything ahead of the loss, do not think it will be a big problem since I gearing me so far.
The whole thing with kid on top is going to weigh around 40kg so there is not much to go on either.
There is enough space around the motor, the pictures lie a little.

How is the machine translation from Norwegian? :)

Not bad at all :D
If I only wrote Norwegian without any slang, you would understand almost everything.
There are some cases where the translator translate into the opposite meaning, but oh well.

What is implied by "rundtom"?

Translated from Norwegian Wikipedia:
Rundtom is an area in the district Strømsø / Danvik in Drammen. It is located on the south side of the Drammen River between Strømsø, Tangen and Danvik. The name has its origin in that area at the time was an island, and that one had to sail "around" this island to get to the rod. The only thing similar to this today is an old bridge barriers that are put on. Rundtom is a gateway where the road from Svelvik meet old E18, which runs south out Kobbervikdalen. One of the classic children's schools, Brand Engen school, is located here, as well as gas stations and other outlets that serve traffic.

Miles said:
What is implied by "rundtom"?

Translated from Norwegian Wikipedia:
Rundtom is an area in the district Strømsø / Danvik in Drammen. It is located on the south side of the Drammen River between Strømsø, Tangen and Danvik. The name has its origin in that area at the time was an island, and that one had to sail "around" this island to get to the rod. The only thing similar to this today is an old bridge barriers that are put on. Rundtom is a gateway where the road from Svelvik meet old E18, which runs south out Kobbervikdalen. One of the classic children's schools, Brand Engen school, is located here, as well as gas stations and other outlets that serve traffic.

I wrote: "Er ikke så vanlig med nagler ellers rundtom". With that I mean that it is unusual to use rivets unless you work as a airplane technician. Rundtom is used as around here, sort of :D

winchmeup said:
gwhy! said:
"ghwy" what controller and battery set up did you use in this? was is a standard outrunner or rewound?

The controller was a moddified 12fet controller with a current limit set to 75A, the outrunner was a standard 3250W 6374 but with hall sensors and the battery was 10Ah 48v lipo

Mo®ten said:
gwhy! said:

Thank you, with a quick calculation I see that my setup sees sense.
At the moment I`m waiting for parts, painfull time..... where do you buy your sensor parts ?

Edit: I noticed the satisfied "HMMP" in the end of your vid :D

The HMMP at the end of the vid was a indeed me being satisfied,, the pitbike was coming back from a 3 mile round loop and still running :mrgreen: we clocked up around 4-6miles riding that day on one set of batterys

Your bike is coming along, you may have a problem with eddie currents as the edge of your motor is very close to the ali plate so when you spin it up with no load on the motor make sure the no load current is within spec and that the motor do not get hot.

This build is coming along quite nicely I look forward to more updates!

gwhy! said:
Your bike is coming along, you may have a problem with eddie currents as the edge of your motor is very close to the ali plate so when you spin it up with no load on the motor make sure the no load current is within spec and that the motor do not get hot.

Could you explain a bit more about what you mean by eddie currents?

Back