GNG Drive Gen2

crossbreak

1 MW
Since this this discussion got OT, I made a new one

caijunze said:
Bro ... i've got the news about the new kit of Brushless motor GEN 2
Here Fresh from oven ( TODAY JUST MADE IT !!) even The GNG still havent put it in his web ^^
Wanna to know it ^^ ? I think GNG Mr Chan will sell it about $320 - $350 [...]

The weight about 3.5 kg , but the salesman said that the climbing ability not as good as the GEN 1 ,,,
this kit design for the road bike

there are 2 option 36v 350w and 48V 450W

I'm liking this new design. More field reports! Pics of the internals as well!

kfong said:
I'm liking this new design. More field reports! Pics of the internals as well!

that what i'm keen to see also. think it will take some time till these kits get ready to ship.

Edit: just calculated:

The drive sprocket is 9T
if we use a 44t crank wheel, this is 4.89 reduction. If the planetary reduction is 5.3 like my hub conversion drive, total reduction to the crank would be almost 26 :shock: that would be ~2100rpm motor speed @80rpm crank cadence - that's amazing! The GNG Gen1 only does ~1680rpm

The next quetsion would be... how long will the 9T sprocket last :?

WOW So fast !~~~ ^^
i just bought it ... but need some of test report ^^
wanna to know the eficiency and the tourqe ,
BTW if the controller used a (crsytalyte 50A) ... this kit will do much better than the standard controller though!~

I dun email ~I just Phoned the salesman directly to the factory ^^ just bought the GEN 2 kits
this kits will come to my country about 3-4 weeeks ... to much longer X....X"

Looks interesting. I was considering crank drive for a dual sus. off road MTB, but I was a bit put off by the problems with the Cyclone kits, belt problems (and the size) of the GNG kit, so I'm looking forward to seeing how this holds up.

The freewheeling is probably quite bad with the 9t and hub motor type clutch. This is a way taller gearing than the typical rear wheel use of a geared hubbie, but changing the 9t for a small freewheel would work if the drive really spin at 80rpm stock.
Good thermal transfer, compact, simple... looks really interesting!

Subject: GNG, 1000W 48V BB-drive, $400

stocaz said:
crossbreak said:
Looks like my converted hubmotor. I guess it uses a planetary reduction as well so it might actually be 2-stage. The missing freewheel on the sprocket is also a sign for that.
but this way is it as louder and noisy as cyclone?

The cyclone is also two stage, but probably has a higher primary reduction (9.33 primary). Usually noise rises with higher reduction ratios. I guess the Gen2 GNG has nylon planetary gears which are known to be much less noisy than the metal gears in cyclone drives.

bzhwindtalker said:
The freewheeling is probably quite bad with the 9t and hub motor type clutch.

roller type clutches aren't all bad. The BMC and Stieber ones actually spin very good. The Bafangs are also ok if lubricated well. If this drive is really geared fine, one could at least swap the stock 9/42 crank reduction for a 10/48.

yep i still waiting .... anything u want to ask about the kit gen 2 ? give it to me , i will help reply to u immediately.
BTW i had 2 a/c one is ERA machinery and Caijunze (Same person ) ^^ sorry .. due to one of my computer in office used eramachinery

caijunze said:
BTW i had 2 a/c one is ERA machinery and Caijunze (Same person ) ^^ sorry .. due to one of my computer in office used eramachinery
We're strict about that because of numerous instances of people with a commercial interest having faux dialogues with themselves... :)

parajared said:
Why are people predicting that it will be less efficient than a two stage reduction? Wouldn't it be more efficient due to less drag from the two reductions?
That is the very theory. But we already know from the pics that this motor has a planetary reduction. It works exactly like the cyclone, just to make things clear.

would the nylon planetarygears from the GNG fit a cyclone?? maybe use one steel and two nylon,could be much quieter... if so, are they available?? :mrgreen:

kriskros said:
would the nylon planetarygears from the GNG fit a cyclone?? maybe use one steel and two nylon,could be much quieter... if so, are they available?? :mrgreen:

I don't think a nylon/composite gear made in such a fine Module 1 pitch (such as the cyclone planetary gears) would withstand the torque required. I think Cyclone users are stuck with the 'swarm of hornets' as necessitated by steel gears.

i am running the cyclone 1200w through a nuvinci hub with 44v,20amp lipo....motor screams on acceleration,but is not bad cruising in low gear.. i am not up on modern synthetics but there must be some thay are as durable,or better,than steel...delrin eg was very durable ...i ran a puma[mac] on the same power,using one steel and two green bmc gears....no problems in about 1800 miles...very quiet after break in:mrgreen:

kriskros said:
i am running the cyclone 1200w through a nuvinci hub with 44v,20amp lipo....motor screams on acceleration,but is not bad cruising in low gear.. i am not up on modern synthetics but there must be some thay are as durable,or better,than steel...delrin eg was very durable ...i ran a puma[mac] on the same power,using one steel and two green bmc gears....no problems in about 1800 miles...very quiet after break in:mrgreen:

With an increased gear tooth pitch Module - to compensate for some reduced material performance properties - I've no doubt delrin/composite/nylon gears would work much quieter, even in straight cut profile. And to take this a step further and also move to a helical profile would necessitate an even larger gear pitch for the same torque loading to further compensate for the lower tooth contact surface area. But when we're not willing to build/adapt an entirely different gearbox onto these motors due to time/cost/effort/tooling & machining access......this is all academic.

When it comes to noise though gear speed plays a role too...

Geared hub motor rotors (and the attached sun gear) spin up to only ~1500rpm whereas the cyclone motors spin up to anywhere between 3500rpm > 7000rpm depending on the selected system voltage (24V >48V).

"Gng site says only 350 w model available.."

Actually yes ,only 350watt available now ,
DUE to lots of customer need 48 volt so i asked the salesman and they said that actually you can use the GEN 1 controller 48v 22 amps also no problem.
48volt will coming soon , they now out of stock for 48 volt controller ^^"
so thats why GNG Mr Chan said only 350w available ... :D

But for me i want to use other controller that higher than the factory gave it to us in order to make new experiments

chain guide 2.jpg
chain guide.jpg
Whole bike dh.jpg

boostjuice said:
I've no doubt delrin/composite/nylon gears would work much quieter, even in straight cut profile.

Helical cut done right is virtually silent, even in hardened steel gears.

Back