Conway e-rider

competitions

100 W
Does anyone have one? Just in case, perhaps it deserves a topic thread of it's own.

Or is it vapourware?

Some rather interesting claims, such as this from the motor supplier:
"From push-bike to high-tech wonder.
Christened „E-Rider“, this high-tech wonder also sports an active suspension system that assesses the terrain and adjusts itself automatically. A stereo camera scans the approaching ground, this information is then passed on to an on-board computer that evaluates the terrain in real-time. The overall weight distribution is included in the computations; even aspects such as the saddle, handle bars and pedals are monitored continuously. The battery is charged during the ride by recovery of energy during braking and supplemented by solar energy sourced via a photovoltaic coating on the frame."

"Range: up to 110 km, depending on use"

"total weight of only 19 kg"

"The advantages of the 1000 W constant power provided by the CPM 90 are not available only to the mountain bike segment: german:A.® has already developed a road version of the E-Rider, the E-Fighter." - Stealth won't be happy with the choice of name.

Source:
http://www.cpmotors.eu/en/applications/case-studies/case-studies/

If you are in Germany, apparently you can have a test ride:
"An inspection and test drive the E-Rider is at our store in the Rechbergstr. 1 possible in 73770 Denkendorf by appointment."

Source:
http://www.e-rider-shop.de/

Solar paint? I doubt it does much if ANYTHING!

A video posted elsewhere shows the bike being fairly loud and clunky. A great looking bike though!

Here is the video. The motor sounds like its struggling. My mid drive MAC makes MUCH less noise even under far harder climbing conditions off road with rocks etc. I think for that kind of coin, I would expect near silence and a much smoother power delivery, its very jerky in my opinion..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sIajl5RD_s&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Whiplash said:
Here is the video. The motor sounds like its struggling. My mid drive MAC makes MUCH less noise even under far harder climbing conditions off road with rocks etc. I think for that kind of coin, I would expect near silence and a much smoother power delivery, its very jerky in my opinion..

I also commented on the noise aspect in the Stealth thread, but last night I was watching the Conway promotional videos of their pedal only bikes and the noise wasn't far off that of the E-Bike. I'm not disputing that it is loud, but I don't think that tyre choice and the sound recorder placing are helping the cause.

Still a lovely bike though.

In this price range Stealth/Conway, the Conway is appears to be ahead on quality cycle parts and build quality.

It has about 50:1 motor to crank reduction, so the motor spins at 4000rpm even when climbing a hill slowly. Good efficiency, but horriby noisy. It still is fun to ride, but a middrive (going through the derailleur) should not spin faster than 2000rpm IMO because of these noise issues at low speeds.

The whole bike is really unbelievably lightweight. It's a piece of art IMO. It can be hacked so that it outputs 2kw+, but that voids waranty.

hope that I have time to visit the distributor near stuttgart this summer, since I was invited. I'll take pic's and post.

I had short ride at Eurobike 2011 maybe only 1 hundred meters, in a hard surface, not enough to judge the offroad feelings, confirmed that's a bit noisy but not so much, at least not more than other mid-drives, not more than mine^_^.
The bike is a state-of-the-art on the bike engineering side, and components are at the top.....I'll bet It works fantastic for off-road....
In my opinion that's one of the best (if not the one) production E-bikes around the sphere (the whole).....

Looks like the original was a 52cm frame, now 48cm: http://translate.google.com/transla...X&ei=Zh8oUcrQI4SZiAfNi4CwBw&ved=0CH0Q7gEwCDgo

Nice display, includes motor/battery temperature:
29_4.JPG

More info, scroll down this page: http://www.e-rider-shop.de/shop_content.php?coID=10&XTCsid=43a092e1891c944833cbc90f704a8bda

First Display (home screen):
IMG_5022.JPG

On the left side you can see the actual power of the engine and the cadence in bar. Furthermore, the resultant power is outputted as a value.

In the middle of the clock is displayed and on the right the 3 different power levels (ECO HIGH EXTREME).

The main surface of the screen takes the speed display.

Second Display (efficiency):
IMG_5023.JPG

In the upper left corner, the average power is being drawn is displayed.

Among the remaining distance and time is displayed.

Third Display (actual trip):
IMG_5024.JPG

This indicator reflects the actual crank speed, distance travelled, average speed and travel time of the trip.

This data may be reset as desired using the remote control.

4th Display (System Info):
IMG_5025.JPG

The system shows information about the engine and battery temperature, the remaining capacity of the battery and the current battery voltage of the CAN protocol.

5th Display (log file):
IMG_5026.JPG

Total mileage, maximum speed, total trip time (uptime) and number of charge cycles the battery are shown in the last screen.

Up to the maximum speed, this data can not be reset.

Hi guys
I had a run for aprox 1 km last euro bike show.
Sorry to say I was not impressed .
The bike make noise , but not so terrible .
The bilance is ok.
The respinse of the motor , is quinte disappointing ,considering the power of the motor .
Or what they rate it for !
Other bikes with far less power have a much batter recation in acceleration.
The display is very nice , the best arround , because they are working With a caubus standard
If WE consider the the Prince tag ,of 7200 € forget it .

Bye

I found a huge series of E Rider videos made over the last two month..they are worth a visit :
[youtube]6ahEYddXk9o[/youtube]
http://www.youtube.com/user/FrankyOsy/videos

Might buy one this summer...can t resist those babies...

The conway is nice al right.

is it 1 or 2 kw ?

I know the Bosch sounds louder in videos than I noticed maybe the conway is the same.

The Bosch is rated for 250 watts but we know it's at least twice and I know some ES members wouldn't be happy about putting effort into peddling like you would have to do with the Bosch but it's still more than capable.

If the conway is rated for 1kw and is actually more I can see it being a lot of fun, but even at 1kw I can't see it being too bad at all. I would really like to try it out.

Maybe they were trying to stay within reasonable power limits without attracting too much attention from the law ? Maybe they are testing the waters to see what they can get away with ?

o00scorpion00o said:
The conway is nice al right.

is it 1 or 2 kw ?

I contacted Conway yesterday. They told me the power was on purpose limited to 1100 watt for warranty reasons. They could unleash the beast inside at 2000 watt, but the buyer would loose the benefits of the warranty...

I like the weight which allows me to send the bike door to door in France for fairly cheap...I need to find out if i can take it in the plane to South America. I like the ability to carry a fairly light second battery for double range, I like the NiMh batteries which are much safer than lipos and life. The weight also allows the bike to behave like a real mountain bike. The central engine and 18 speeds seem to be a perfect match for uphill riding. As a European, i feel reassured by the proximity of the manufacturer and the ability to buy replacement parts online. I also like the tubeless options for flat free rides. The screen seems also to give all informations needed in a easily readable graphic way (distance left, power applied, speed). No need to tune the computer, the three different modes make it easy to go stealth on road.

The question for me now is which model should i choose, since all have the same batteries and engine. I fear the rims of the "extrem" model would be difficult to replace in case they would break. My heart right now goes to the "red" model with a full power 2k engine (which means i ll have more maintainance costs of the chains and sprockets).

http://www.e-rider-shop.de/index.php?cPath=1&XTCsid=e1b780639a60e16675f92aec4410bb9f

They use a Lithium battery not NiMh ?

What are the main differences in the models ? from 5600 Euro's to 7600 is a big difference.

In fact some bike manufacturers charge around 4600 Euro's for a full suspension bike with the Bosch drive.

o00scorpion00o said:
They use a Lithium battery not NiMh ?

What are the main differences in the models ? from 5600 Euro's to 7600 is a big difference.

In fact some bike manufacturers charge around 4600 Euro's for a full suspension bike with the Bosch drive.

A German company called BMZ provides the lithium-ion battery for the E-Rider.

NiMh means Lithium Ion, like your phone or your computer battery.

http://www.e-rider-shop.de/shop_content.php?coID=10&XTCsid=49bf5f10a624bf7ea217ae906c5fed8b

courcheval said:
NiMh means Lithium Ion, like your phone or your computer battery.

Wrong Nickel–metal hydride battery=NiMh battery no lithium chemistry involve

Black Arrow

Ok my bad on the abreviation then...I meant the lithium batteries you commonly find in computers and smart phones.

o00scorpion00o said:

The main difference is concerning the Bike components used, in fact most bike seller charge more than 4000 euros for a new FS true DH mounted frame, without any electric component....
I dont think you could easily find a FS bosch Ebike with stock components at the level of an E-rider (assuming a comparable frame) plus, the electric system looks better than the bosch to me, at least it's for sure more complex and expensive; so, even if I agree that the price is crazy for the common sense, I'm not really surprized about it. Is also important to note that the Bosch system is a very large scale electric product that would impose a standard for OEM's frame construction, otherwise the Conway E-rider is a smaller project that would like to increase the actual e-bike limit with a True Freeride E-bike, using mostly dedicated and proprietary parts and top bike components. A much more costly approach, that probably leads to a more refined and exclusive product.

What are the differences between the 5600 -7600 models, doesn't seem worth it to spend and extra 2 k when the drive train and power is exactly the same ?

Pity they don't have a compare model section, and in English.

For the series I've ridden two eurobikes ago the main differences was Basically about wheels ( Mavic xm119/sram x9 Vs complete CrankBrother iodine wheels) and Wh of batteries 324Wh Vs 695Wh but also: X7 Vs X0, Contec Vs CB 5050XX pedals, elixir5 Vs Code brakes, Contec Vs CB Cobalt seattube, Fizik carbon Vs Contec race saddle, plus chain, cassette.....The price was 5500 Vs 7000...if you take the Performance and try to upgrade to an Extreme similar setup you could easily reach and pass those 1500 euros, But I agree with you, a part for the battery question, I would also look at the Performance model if ever I were interested in one.

panurge said:
For the series I've ridden two eurobikes ago the main differences was Basically about wheels ( Mavic xm119/sram x9 Vs complete CrankBrother iodine wheels) and Wh of batteries 324Wh Vs 695Wh but also: X7 Vs X0, Contec Vs CB 5050XX pedals, elixir5 Vs Code brakes, Contec Vs CB Cobalt seattube, Fizik carbon Vs Contec race saddle, plus chain, cassette.....The price was 5500 Vs 7000...if you take the Performance and try to upgrade to an Extreme similar setup you could easily reach and pass those 1500 euros, But I agree with you, a part for the battery question, I would also look at the Performance model if ever I were interested in one.

Ah I didn't read that there was 324 + 695 wh battery ?

On their site the only difference I see is a 674wh for the cheapest model the (performance) and 695wh for the most expensive (white edition).

They all offer the same 1100 watts, so IMO it would be madness to go from 5600 Euro's to 7600 Euro's, one would hardly notice the difference ?

Back