New GNG Mid Drive Brushless 60V650W

ahlidap

1 µW
GNG as just released a new kit, or at least, a new version of an existing kit.

http://www.gngebike.com/60v650w-brushless

Is this a new motor, or the same motor with different coil winding to match new voltage and wattage?
Or is just the same motor, which as prooved to handle more power than the 48V450W ?

This already come with the chain mod, which is good.
The price, is always the same of the previous version.

again chains, again noise, and loss energy...

and freewheel same bad quality as in past releases?

I think customers better choose higher price, but quality components without garage upgrades.

iperov » Fri Aug 23, 2013 7:15 pm

and freewheel same bad quality as in past releases?

I think customers better choose higher price, but quality components without garage upgrades.

I kind of agree with iperov. I don't think this kit will be as popular as the Belt drive version 1. It will be noisy due to the chain drive and 60v and it kind of defeats the whole purpose of the GNG V1 which was that it was quiet as a belt drive at 48v. As Iperov has said the rest of the cranks and bottom bracket are bad quality and will need upgradeing out of the box.

For about the same price as you don't need any upgrades, you might as well just buy a 36 or 48v 1200w cyclone kit which will have more power then the 60v 650w GNG and it already comes with better bottom bracket and freewheels and is chain drive as well. Also the cyclone motor is a lot more compact and I bet easier to fit then the GNG . Best thing of all about the cyclones I have seen on the sphere all the motors from 200w to 48v 1200w geared look the same, so it's easy to add a 200w sticker and it will look legal :p

You can't do that with the GNG, due to all those huge pullies compared to the cyclone and now with the chain drain it will be noisy as cyclones, so I can't see what advantage they would have ?

It is the same kit as gen1 with a chain primary and higher voltage controller. It is easier to change primary ratios now that the motor shaft is turned down. You can always go back to a belt drive with standard off the shelf pulleys.

Lightning rods has some good options for it also that eliminate the little freewheel.

If your looking for quiet, get a hub motor. Mids all make noise.

If done right, chain is not noisy. You need to stay away from small sprockets and get it aligned well. The cyclone will always have a high pitch whine due to the straight cut gears in the planetary reduction.

From reading the posts, the GNG is far easier to install than the cyclone. Especially the old cyclone mount that clamped on the frame. The cyclone components for the freewheel crank aren't all that great either and do not have a support bearing for the freewheel. So it they both need upgrading straight out of the box if you want a solid reliable set up.

Until ebikes are everywhere, a cop isn't going to know how much power is put out buy what size motor. Look at the size of the low wattage hub motors.

Good on GNG for responding to customer input. They are offering a low cost kit that has a solid motor. You always get what you pay for and you are not going to get a 100% solid ebike kit for under $500. At least not for high power set ups. People that runthe 36v for commuting seem to be having no problems.

Clay

GNG v1 has set unprecedented history in e-bike hot rodding, via ES and thanks to a bunch of top guns and garage lovers. So I guess the story goes!

Ordered :) Now all I need is a bike!

Also, because those pics are tiny.. here are the larger ones (replace width parameter woth whatever size you want)

IMG_1250.JPG

IMG_1258.JPG

IMG_1260.JPG

IMG_1273.JPG

IMG_1275.JPG

IMG_1276.JPG

IMG_1277.JPG

IMG_1278.JPG

IMG_1279.JPG

IMG_1280.JPG

IMG_1286.JPG

IMG_1287.JPG

IMG_1288.JPG

IMG_1289.JPG

IMG_1290.JPG

IMG_1291.JPG

IMG_1292.JPG

IMG_1293.JPG

IMG_1294.JPG

IMG_1295.JPG

IMG_1250.JPG

Also purchased a 50v20Ah A123 from em3ev, plus charger and CA v3.. Gonna be fun!

I was going to try the GNG 450 Kit for a High Powered DH Bike.. Should I get this Instead.? was going to do the Chain upgrade anyways so this is a Big Help. and I am thinking of Running 59.2v to start with so should I use this speed control or Is there something better.?

Konaface1987 said:
I was going to try the GNG 450 Kit for a High Powered DH Bike.. Should I get this Instead.? was going to do the Chain upgrade anyways so this is a Big Help. and I am thinking of Running 59.2v to start with so should I use this speed control or Is there something better.?

I would go for the chain model. Should run on 15 or 16s lipo real strong.

finally something useful!

iperov said:
Not at all! energy loss will be much lower, i'm sure. At least less than the ~150Watts energy loss at no load with the crappy, poorly designed belt version!?!

Will be nice to know what motor sprocket.. keep us posted, fin. Have fun with your built, it's gonna be awesome and geared WAY to fast for pedaling... who needs pedals :mrgreen:

by flyinmonkie » Sat Aug 24, 2013 7:21 am

If done right, chain is not noisy. You need to stay away from small sprockets and get it aligned well.

Why would you say that when Christerjung has just done a high voltage GNG chain drive and it is noisy as an RC motor, maybe even more then a cyclone as RC motors were know to be noisier .

Re: New freeride project - LMX P1

by bzhwindtalker » Sat Aug 17, 2013 7:50 am

the Stock GNG is quite silent but the combinaison of 100v and #25 chain mod makes it sound like most RC drives.

http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=47054&start=150

I'm with flymonkie, I guess we ain't as anal about chain noise, I run 3 x #25 chains
Plus a half link bmx chain final drive, I don't find the noise an issue, can't hear chains above 20km/hr
Below that it is not annoyingly loud... I run a 're-wound Turnigy CA 120 "rc" motor
On 75v... the motor has a nice turbine sound...

KiM

it's not my analhole that's the problem, it's the cops'.
they wuvs that turbine sound too.
that sweet sound of $$$ to pad their quota.

i'd be more than happy to slap onto my bike this gng if you're willin to step up & pay my fines?
didn't think so.

Toorbough ULL-Zeveigh said:
it's not my analhole that's the problem, it's the cops'.
they wuvs that turbine sound too.
that sweet sound of $$$ to pad their quota.

i'd be more than happy to slap onto my bike this gng if you're willin to step up & pay my fines?
didn't think so.

This is all too complicated for you anyways, stick with your frock motor, perhaps clamp on one of those "stealthy"
Scooter frocks JohnCr sells, the popo wouldn't blink an eye at that :roll:

KiM

crossbreak said:
finally something useful!

iperov said:
Not at all! energy loss will be much lower, i'm sure. At least less than the ~150Watts energy loss at no load with the crappy, poorly designed belt version!?!

Will be nice to know what motor sprocket.. keep us posted, fin. Have fun with your built, it's gonna be awesome and geared WAY to fast for pedaling... who needs pedals :mrgreen:

Why you all are saying that stock belt is taking 150W of power - when my bike wheel is lifted from ground and given full throttle, wattmeter shows 160W - that is for all powertrain losses, including spinning wheel! I am using 12S lipo - about 48V
I had to file down spacer (cut from tube, about 10mm thick) behind jackshaft freewheel that was too tight and jackshaft was hard to turn - that took probably 100W and made bad noises.

Can you guys lift off wheel and give full throttle and see wattage? Would be good to see what others are getting. You can also test it without secondary reduction chain - to get unloaded motor losses + belt losses.

Meelis

How much watts can this new gng handle?
I am now running the gen 1.1 on 12s2p and 60 amps.
Can this version handel more?
Like to go to 15s2p at 70 amps.

AussieJester said:
This is all too complicated for you anyways, stick with your frock motor, perhaps clamp on one of those "stealthy"
Scooter frocks JohnCr sells, the popo wouldn't blink an eye at that :roll:

KiM

they don't.
it's the perk of the ear, announcing itself from a mile away.

electronics is complex.
mechanics, even prison inmates with no education can pick up easily by feel.

i guess i'm not as anal about fan noise.
run mine full bore like a man, the way god intended.
always have, always will, PussieJester.
yeah, wave that dick. :roll:
AussieJester said:
Yup, axial fans move heaps of air through my pc if i run them on 100% i have them all ~25% power so its oober quiet but still keeps pc nice an cool.
http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=20654&start=25#p301323

Secret1511 said:

Wow, you're putting a lot of juice through that thing. Since it's the same motor as the Gen 1/1.1, it should be able to handle around 2000W with moderate use without getting too hot. What's to be determined is how well the small sprocket on the output shaft will hold up. The low tooth count will theoretically be subject to quicker wear and noise.

skyungjae said:
Secret1511 said:

Wow, you're putting a lot of juice through that thing. Since it's the same motor as the Gen 1/1.1, it should be able to handle around 2000W with moderate use without getting too hot. What's to be determined is how well the small sprocket on the output shaft will hold up. The low tooth count will theoretically be subject to quicker wear and noise.

Yess, but the GNG does a great job and holds up well.
I am running a 11t to a 65t #25 and it is a bit noisy.
The engine screams like a RC. I use shimano xt on the bike and that does the job for now.
I don't know how long it will last with this kind of power.

I think dat the GNG 1.1 can handle 4000w. Is there someone who has tried that?
I looking for a mid drive for my new bomber like build.
I was hoping that this new version handles more power.

Secret1511 said:
skyungjae said:
Secret1511 said:

Yess, but the GNG does a great job and holds up well.
I am running a 11t to a 65t #25 and it is a bit noisy.
The engine screams like a RC. I use shimano xt on the bike and that does the job for now.
I don't know how long it will last with this kind of power.

I think dat the GNG 1.1 can handle 4000w. Is there someone who has tried that?
I looking for a mid drive for my new bomber like build.
I was hoping that this new version handles more power.

Bzhwindtalker was able to get 4.5kW out of the motor, but he took it apart and doubled up the phase wires.

Edit: He said it gets hot in like 30 minutes of some spirited riding.

Brave man!!! I am not that technical.
Maybe it is time to step to RC mid drive.
The problem with power is that you always want more!

I am now happy with my gng but the new build needs more power.

Back