custom rear hub with dual disc flange for sprocket

crossbreak

1 MW
I'd like to have a rear hub with additional 6-hole disc flange on the right, to be able to mount a sprocket. Mounting it on the left (disc brake) side is not possible with many frames. Another reason is that I'd like to keep the brake dust away from the chain/belt, as well as keep chain lubricant away from the brake.

-the normal disc brake on the left
- 9-10 speed cassette freewheel on the right
-a belt sprocket or chain sprocket for the motor, bolted to another 6-hole interface on the right

I just found these dual brake front hubs that are mentioned several times in this forum, but these don't work for me since i'd like to use it with a 12mm through axle and a 10speed cassette. For bikes with normal dropouts I can simply use a simple (and commonly available) adapter.
02933.JPG

That's what it should look like. I really don't want to make a custom hub if I don't have to. Any sources for something like this? anyone interested?

Attachments

• simple_hub_2.jpg
    simple_hub_2.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 2,795
thx for that link!

A cheap option would be to use a dual disc front hub with a 6-hole to BSA threads adapter and use an old school 7speed BSA-threaded cassette

a BSA adapter is a lot more simple to make than a hub

Attachments

• bsa_adapter.jpg
    bsa_adapter.jpg
    16.8 KB · Views: 2,771
Another option: It looks like the shimano FH-M756 is a lightweight version of the FH-M525. Both have 61mm PCD. A 36-spokes FH-525 would be a perfect candidate for drilling 6 holes into the right flange.

Here are 2 pics for comparison, first the lightweight FH-M756 (435 g)
shimano-deore-xt-07-fh-m756-6-bolt.jpg

And the heavier FH-M525 (449 g )
HRD_ShD525-is.jpg

crossbreak said:
I'd like to have a rear hub with additional 6-hole disc flange on the right, to be able to mount a sprocket.

this is simply not possible, since a brake disc inner diameter of 33mm is smaller than the outer dia of a cassette spline, which is 35mm.

custom sprocket? perhaps mounting to other than 6 hole brake disc pattern?

36mm inner dia wont fit either, since there is another piece in the way. The BCD has to be larger.. maybe 48mm instead of 44.

I'll order such a 525, it's only €17. but that has to wait till next year :lol:

Attachments

• 48mm_BCD.jpg
    48mm_BCD.jpg
    15.6 KB · Views: 2,760
How do you plan to lace this kind o wheel? radial? :mrgreen: :)
I´m keen to see your efforts into something most of us have mulled and re-mulled about, maybe we sort out with something simple this time.....We have a pair of solutions, indeed, for custom hubs around there....but they are complex.....

If you was at eurobike, my dear, you would have seen some interesting hope flip flop hubs.......with 44mm 6 bolts both sides...nothing that strange, until you notice that one freewheels!!!!

Having a 10speed plus a fixed on the right could be amazing, but I doubt it could be achived starting from a standard spaced Hub....

My main need is to have both drive freewheeling, though, I could happily pay half of the 10 speeds for this :mrgreen:

Looking forward to your efforts...

Back