28,000 watt Motoped with 3kwh of nano-tech

recumpence

1 GW
On Earth right now. That can change at any time, t
Hey Guys,

This is my personal motoped. It is running 28,000 watts of twin fan cooled 5 turn delta 3220s. I have 3kwh (12S 72ah) of nano-tech lipo going in front of the motors.

This is the drive system Outrider USA used on their 86mph run. It was on loan to them. Now that I have it back, it is going to be pressed into service on this bike. It will be geared for 40mph. That should make this thing wickedly powerful with that final gearing.

My impression of the Motoped? Well, certain things are wonderful and others [how do I put this?] SUCK. First, the gas tank mounts and other small tabs were extremely crooked on my frame. This is no big deal because the first thing I did was shave those off. But, for those who are running a gas version, beware! The gussets are all pretty crooked and this thing weighs a friggin TON! The main spar is 1/8 inch wall chromoly. It is definitely designed as a motorcycle, not a bicycle. That being said, I love all the room I have to mount components.

I have done a touch more welding than is in these pictures. I can tell you that the battery enclosure will be a semi-stressed member. There will be an aluminum subframe shaped a little bit like the tank that will house various electronics. If I have room I will mount the 1,200 watt Meanwell charger on-board. It will use a Garmin automotive GPS and hopefully will have Delta/Wye switching.

In these pictures, the powder-coat has been sand blasted off. All steel parts will be powered-coated semi gloss black with the battery framework and upper subframe left bare [box section] aluminum.

I am busy, but I will do my best to keep this thread up to date as I build.

Matt

Attachments

• 100_8430.JPG
    100_8430.JPG
    91.5 KB · Views: 13,428
  • 100_8431.JPG
    100_8431.JPG
    91.2 KB · Views: 13,428
Looking awesome,
Have you seen the alloy cnc frame that seems similar ? Might save some weight ?
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Custom-CNC-Aluminium-Frame-suitable-for-use-with-Monkey-Bike-Motorcycle-/200931426424?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item2ec8724078

Awesome work.

Amazing as always Matt.
Wouldn't expect anything "less" from you :lol:
You always go ultra HP / light weight, but are you considering moto rims here?
Seems the final product (with the proposed battery pack) will be heftier than
your usual..?
Kudos!

25000 watts at 12s (50V) are 500A battery and much higher amps on the motor phases :shock: i hope you have the right components which hold up..
Will there be a second stage in the gear or does it go directly to the rear wheel?

madin88 said:
25000 watts at 12s (50V) are 500A battery and much higher amps on the motor phases :shock: i hope you have the right components which hold up..
Will there be a second stage in the gear or does it go directly to the rear wheel?

I think Matts #s come off the data logger on the Hv160's. Astro Lists the 3220 @4.5Kw Continuous no idea if the 25k peak is a deliverable power level....if it is for how long? :mrgreen: I would really love to see the real #'s on a dyno at the rear wheel....its gonna be monster any way measure it though.

Love the red anodizing. Looking forward to another fine example of Matts industrial art.

Lots of questions.......

First, I spoke with John Holmes about motocross rims. He actually had info regarding Motoped development and the reasons they used these rims and spokes. I am trying this for now. I will move up to stronger wheels if need be.

These motors are the same as the [one] motor on my Hooligan. That motor pulls over 14,000 watts for very short bursts according to the data logger. I figure it is a realistic 12 to 12.5kw per motor for a few seconds at a time. With fan cooling these motors are good for 6,000 watts each (12,000 watts total) continuous. That is far more than would ever be encountered unless some serious hill climbing is done. :) With my riding, I will pull 1/4 second burst of very high current to snap the front end up, then more like 3,000 watts for general riding.

I just ordered my new rear sprocket. It is 52 teeth. That should give me 42mph with a topped off pack in Delta. The power should be mind bending to say the least.

I may gear it up for 50mph if the power is too high. :mrgreen:

I will post more pics as I have them. I cut a few brackets with the plasma cutter today. I hope to work on the battery enclosure on Saturday.

Matt

MAtt! Great project! Its about time you hit the trails and built something that i could ride!!! :mrgreen: Ive been waiting years to see something like this Twin Astros |for the WIN !

Cool project Matt, but I don't like the look of the rear suspension! It starts of with an angle of around 90 deg between the swingarm pivot, bottom shock mount and top shock mount, so as the suspension compresses the angle become more obtuse, the leverage ratio will be falling. This will progressively give you less shock compression for each subsequent inch of wheel travel giving a falling rate suspension action, ideal for spongy horrible handling! The angle should start more acute and head towards 90 deg at full compression for a rising rate.

boisrondevens said:
Verry cool!

Love your work!

Max Continuous Amps 75 amps
Peak Amps 1 minute 100 amps

Still dont get it??

Just as with a two stroke motocross bike, when would you ever have it full throttle for a minute? These motors will put out over 14,000 watts for a couple seconds at a time under acceleration.

Also, these are custom fan cooled motors. Their continuous output is far higher than the sealed Astro motors on their web site.

Now do you get it? :wink:

Matt

riba2233 said:
Where can I buy those motors, any webshop? Thanks :D

These motors are only available through me. They are proprietary versions of Astro's motor. However, they are custom made to my spec and I make the fans for them. :)

I can get you a couple motors, and the reduction if you would like. I have built more than 20 twin motor drives for customers at this point.

This build is going to be interesting because I have never built a dirt bike (e-bike) before. But, I have much dirt bike experience from my teen years and early twenties.

As for the suspension geometry, it is not exactly 90 degrees. But, it is close. I believe the rear spring increases in stiffness as the suspension rises, compensating for the falling rate. However, if it handles poorly, it is not hard at all for me to change it. I just want to try it as the factory designed first, before I comment on the handling.

Matt

subscribed.
I am very interested in this build.
I have already built my gas powered motoped with a pitster 155z motor, and have a 2nd in a crate. My intent with the 2nd frame is to build an electric motoped.
I am very excited to see you have a motoped frame as I have watched your builds, and planned to contact you about my 2nd frame.

Good luck with the build, and I will be closely watching this thread.

Subscribed, can't wait to see your next expression of genious. :mrgreen:

-JD

biff_rockwell said:
subscribed.
I am very interested in this build.
I have already built my gas powered motoped with a pitster 155z motor, and have a 2nd in a crate. My intent with the 2nd frame is to build an electric motoped.
I am very excited to see you have a motoped frame as I have watched your builds, and planned to contact you about my 2nd frame.

Good luck with the build, and I will be closely watching this thread.

That is one of the finest Motopeds I have seen. :)

Matt

Back