What kind of grades can the Bafang Mid Drives hand?

hellonoko

1 µW
Hello, I am new to ebikes and this forum so if I am posting this in the wrong place or doing anything else wrong apologies in advance.

I am working on building my first ebike and so far have discovered that as I live in a fairly hilly town a mid drive motor is probably the best way to go.

My main use for the bike will be grocery shopping and quick trips to the hardware store small items.

Top speed doesn't really matter to me.

The longest route I can imagine wanting to do on my bike is 15 miles round trip however it is most likely my longest route would be 8 Miles round trip with the last mile returning to my house having the largest hill(s)

I would like to mount the mid drive on my existing Kona Shred frame but will find another if that wont work. It has disc brakes and 26 inch wheels.

I weight about 150lbs and would carry a backpack of groceries or other items of lets say, 40 more lbs max.

I would potentially like to be able to go up these hills under full power or with light pedaling.

My main question is if one of the Bafang 750watt kits will be able to handle the grades on the various routes that lead up to my house.

To that end I have driven or walked a few of the routes with a gps app and calculated the slopes.
I have calculated the different grades of the steepest parts of my climbs and their distances.
None of the climbs is over 1 mile in total.

Route 1: Downtown to house.
.07 Miles @ 9.2% grade
.07 Miles @ 18.4% grade
.08 Miles @ 10.7% grade
Overall grade: 6.2%
—————————————————————
Route 2: Swimming pond to house (the only route that has hills both ways and is partial on well maintained dirt roads. This is also the longest route with hills both ways and is about 4 miles total.)
.24 Miles @ 10.2%
.23 Miles @ 11.1%
.18 Miles @ 13.7%
.19 Miles @ 13.3%
Longest climb .59 Miles @ 9.0%
————————————
Route 3: Library to house
Steady Climb .66 Miles @ 7.7%
———————————————
Route 4: University to house
.17 Miles @ 7.8%
.41 Miles @ 7.5%
.09 Miles @ 8.6%
Longest Climb .76 Miles @ 6.1%
———————————————
Route 5: High School to house
Longest climb .38 Miles @ 6.2%
—————
Route 6: High School to house #2
Longest climb .37 Miles @ 5.0%
--------------
Just for fun there is a tiny bit of hill near my house that has a 24% grade sign on it. :)

I have found quite a few videos and anecdotal stories saying the Bafang 750 can go up some very long steep grades but no solid information.

So, would the Bafang mid drive kit at 750 watts do the trick for me or will I need something with more power?

If any more route data or other information is needed let me know and I can easily add it here!

Thanks in advance!

This motor can do 1200 W for several minutes without overheating. On a 10% grade, this will pull 250 lb of you+groceries+bike at 18.5 mph, which means it won't take you several minutes to get up any of these hills.

Play around with different grades / power settings / speeds etc. at this calculator: http://www.kreuzotter.de/english/espeed.htm

Back