Bafang BBS01 on Dyno cruiser

jebon

1 µW
Hi!
Has anyone in here any knowledge about fitting a BBS01 crank motor on an Dyno cruiser?
The bike has a 68mm one-piece bottom crank so I'm thinking about putting a one-piece>three-piece conversion kit on it.
Will the BBS01 fit in there and are there any other obstacles involved on a one-piece crank bike?
Thanks!

The bike is similar to this one
pic001.jpg

This is the crank conversion I'm thinking about:
opc-adaptor-truvativ.jpg

I think the clearance between the motor and the tube that goes into the bottom crank box is essential when fitting this into the larger diameter crank box. Can anyone tell me how much space there is between the motor and the tube on the BBS01?

I did that exact conversion and it was a big PITA. The extra width doesn't seem like much..but it is. If you can cut back the BB shell it's ok...on the one I as forced to do it was too close to the chainstay to cut back, leading to lots of jacking with to get it in. Then you need washers with the right OD and ID to flush out the recess in the middle.

Mine just bolted on, just needed some washers and longer bolts for spacing the bracket due to the slightly wider overall width.

Also, sort of the main benefit of crank drive is the gear changing... without it it's either going to be struggling on hills because of too high a gear, or wound out on the flats with you pedaling like a madman in too low a gear.

Voltron said:
Also, sort of the main benefit of crank drive is the gear changing... without it it's either going to be struggling on hills because of too high a gear, or wound out on the flats with you pedaling like a madman in too low a gear.
I have a 3-speed rear hub on it

cjh said:
Mine just bolted on, just needed some washers and longer bolts for spacing the bracket due to the slightly wider overall width.
Can you post a picture of that?

cjh said:
It worked for me.

I'm trying to do this very thing and asked the same question earlier. The responses were that the conversion adapter thing would put too much space between the motor housing and the bracket.

I'd love to see photos of yours if you have any - and any pointers.

BTW, I asked Paul at em3ev -

Me: "I'm interested in the "Bafang 48V 750W BBS02 Kit with Battery" kit and had a question about fitment. I understand that the Bafang is designed for European style bottom brackets - but I was wondering if it would work with an American type bottom bracket using a converter - see this item at Amazon.com: http://www.amazon.com/Truvativ-00-6415-027-000-American-To-Euro-Bmx-Adapter/dp/B000VT550K Would the Bafang be able to fit a bike using this converter?"

Paul: "I think it will work, but I have never personally tried it and there may be something that possibly causes an issue with the BBS02 installation. I can't give you any guarantees it will work without any issues I'm afraid."

benend said:
cjh said:
It worked for me.

I'm trying to do this very thing and asked the same question earlier. The responses were that the conversion adapter thing would put too much space between the motor housing and the bracket.

I'd love to see photos of yours if you have any - and any pointers.

BTW, I asked Paul at em3ev -

Me: "I'm interested in the "Bafang 48V 750W BBS02 Kit with Battery" kit and had a question about fitment. I understand that the Bafang is designed for European style bottom brackets - but I was wondering if it would work with an American type bottom bracket using a converter - see this item at Amazon.com: http://www.amazon.com/Truvativ-00-6415-027-000-American-To-Euro-Bmx-Adapter/dp/B000VT550K Would the Bafang be able to fit a bike using this converter?"

Paul: "I think it will work, but I have never personally tried it and there may be something that possibly causes an issue with the BBS02 installation. I can't give you any guarantees it will work without any issues I'm afraid."

I can't get a straight answer anywhere either. The only way I see to be sure it will fit is to weld a standard BB INSIDE the BMX BB or elsewhere on the downtube. The Giant Stiletto looks a great cruiser to do this conversion on but like my Schwinn beach cruiser has the BMX BB.

Hello I'm running it to the same problem I'm about to get a beach cruiser with disk brakes and I want to fit my bbs02 on it. So cjh please post some pics.

The one piece to three piece crank adapter doesn't add much width(about 1/8") but the cruiser BB shell plus adapter ends up about 1/4" wider than the typical road or MTB shell, so you need to order the wider version Bafang (intended for newer road bikes, with wider BB's I think?)

The mount system for the bbs units comprises of a plate on one side and a dual lock ring on the other of your bb. Gen 1 units, which seem to still be sold for the most part will fit a BB between 68-73mm, if the outer lockring is ditched.

The mount plate is serrated on the inside, it is designed to bite into the side of the BB which in turn is ordinarily welded to your frame. This is where I see this running into trouble.

The adapter you have linked is clearly flanged to sit with a lip on the outside of the BB. I think you would need to cut this off which may in turn ruin the adapter.

You also need to check the total BB width after adapter installation. If it's too width, you will need a Gen 2 unit. Check bafang website for BB sizing, be very very careful buying the unit as the dealers appear to be stills sorting out these changes.

You'll struggle to find a dealer who will vouch for a specific method of adapting your BB if they haven't literally done it before or at least have the bike in front of them. That's a lot of ask of an online vendor.

Do you know of anyone local selling these? Alternatively you may consider buying the adapter and seeing if there are any forum members close to you? Guess the last option is switching to a hub but you lose middrive e functionality doing that.

Can you do me a favor and measure the diameter of your BB? Let's just check it against mine to start with, ensure all this us required.

Sorry about all the posts, no coffee yet and brain is still frozen :lol:

Back