Two speed gear box for e-cargo bicycles?

Has anyone made something like this, but lighter weight?

I need one that will handle 1500 watts of torque thrust. Geared down to 18mph
This thread shows one for a motor cycle but nothing comes up for a bicycle.
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=14818&p=221255&hilit=two+speed+transmision+gear+box#p221255

Torque, moment, or moment of force (see the terminology below) is the tendency of a force to rotate an object about an axis,[1] fulcrum, or pivot. Just as a force is a push or a pull, a torque can be thought of as a twist to an object. Mathematically, torque is defined as the cross product of the lever-arm distance vector and the force vector, which tends to produce rotation.

Loosely speaking, torque is a measure of the turning force on an object such as a bolt or a flywheel. For example, pushing or pulling the handle of a wrench connected to a nut or bolt produces a torque (turning force) that loosens or tightens the nut or bolt.

Thrust is a reaction force described quantitatively by Newton's second and third laws. When a system expels or accelerates mass in one direction, the accelerated mass will cause a force of equal magnitude but opposite direction on that system.[1] The force applied on a surface in a direction perpendicular or normal to the surface is called thrust. Force, and thus thrust, is measured in the International System of Units (SI) as the newton (symbol: N), and represents the amount needed to accelerate 1 kilogram of mass at the rate of 1 metre per second squared.

torque is not the correct term, but thrust by it's self is not descriptive enough.

I just want to see a larger picture of E-Motion's avatar picture. or the finished gear box from the thread above. it should be listed on the Wiki, but I don't see it. seems like this should be available as a simple factory made device by now.

Ft/lbs or newton/meters are the traditional measurements of torque that is measured at the rear wheel (I probably wrote them wrong). An inefficient system (like a small-diameter rear direct-drive hubmotor) will convert much of the 1500W of input into heat instead of torque. A geared hubmotor of the same diameter and width will have close to 5 times the wheel-torque per input watts. A mid drive that gives the motor the use of the bikes gears can have a dramatic torque-multiplication between the input watts and output torque at the wheel (especially in the lowest gear).

Thud produced a 2-speed, but he only made a few, and he hasn't made one for quite a while.

Sure, I know what torque is, I know what thrust is and I know what power is : )

The point I was trying to make is that you haven't quantified anything........

Torque is what we need to know to specify a gearbox. As Ron said, the SI unit is the newton-metre.

Simply, multiply motor torque by reduction ratio to gearbox. Or, work back from the maximum load....

I have a design for a 2 speed gearbox. I'm not sure if there's much of a need though, so I've been concentrating on motors, which there's definitely a need for..... Anyway, it could be specified to handle up to around 40 Nm input torque with direct drive and 2:1 output. It won't be $30 on ebay, though...

maybe all the post a bout gears that I have been reading is out dated by now. I defiantly would like to find a way around using a gear box. please give me a link to more info???? there needs to be an article about how and why to program controllers. especially the new more complex ones.

I think the Nuvinci would be good for 1000 watt out put if acceleration is not extreme??

I found pages about building a gear box http://www.thepixelpump.com/widdershins/how-to-2speed-transmission.php
http://www.instructables.com/id/Making-a-2-Speed-Custom-Gearbox/ and videos:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ver7yDgc6-8

then I finally found this one.... seems a bit large https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=327720 https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=13731
google works better than any other search engine....

Miles said:
I have a design for a 2 speed gearbox. I'm not sure if there's much of a need though, so I've been concentrating on motors, which there's definitely a need for..... Anyway, it could be specified to handle up to around 40 Nm input torque with direct drive and 2:1 output. It won't be $30 on ebay, though...

With gears you can move the "efficiency peak" around to match your mph. On a

fixed hub motor you are permanently tied to your power-band and this presents a real problem at low speeds. Low mph/rpm on a hub motor places you into the low efficiency areas of the power-band. You can compensate a little if you have an ammeter and are really careful about using even less current than the current limit allows (so you are using almost no voltage down low in order to be more efficient) but you are still fighting a less than desirable situation

At 10 mph the efficiency is running about 50%. The good efficiency areas don't even exist until you are past 20 mph. So unlike with gears where you can "gas it" off the line and be in the good efficiency areas all the time, hub motors have a real "issue" with quick starting. Quick starts on a hub motor are really bad news for battery usage... (much worse than if you are geared right).

Tell me why I do not need one. 1000 watts will move 400lbs up an 8% grade at about 13mph. that's too low of gear to drive around in all day.

SlowCo said:
Why do you (think you) need a two speed gearbox?

If you know gross wattage, wheel diameter, and road speed, then torque can be extrapolated.

The key here is using a shafted motor with multiple reduction or a hub motor with chain reduction, geared to provide a free speed of about 20 mph. That should provide close to 18 mph under normal riding loads, and will yield maximum power at about 10 mph. There should be no need for a second gear.

the state of washigton limits the out put for a bicycle to 1000 watts. that is only enough to drive 400lbs total combined weight up an 8% grade at about 13mpg. it would take a 1500 watt out put to do about 20mpg under same conditions. that is a moped under washington state law.

this would be ok if your not worried about the lawyers of the jerks that blame you for their mistakes. just use a larger motor.

and of coarse if you want to sell the bikes legally , you must make them according to the law.

Hugh-Jassman said:
the state of washigton limits the out put for a bicycle to 1000 watts. that is only enough to drive 400lbs total combined weight up an 8% grade at about 13mpg. it would take a 1500 watt out put to do about 20mpg under same conditions. that is a moped under washington state law.

this would be ok if your not worried about the lawyers of the jerks that blame you for their mistakes. just use a larger motor.

In your opening post you mentioned 1500W and in this last reply I gather you would like to stay <1000W? Wouldn't the upcoming Bafang BBS-HD 1000W kit be a good solution then?:
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=68110&start=50
In combination with a (very) good MTB chain and gear cluster it should give you the reductions you need.

SlowCo said:
Wouldn't the upcoming Bafang BBS-HD 1000W kit be a good solution then?:
In combination with a (very) good MTB chain and gear cluster it should give you the reductions you need.

That had better be a 6- or 7-speed MTB drivetrain, because an up-to-date 9- or 10- (or 11-speed) system is going to gargle its giblets when you add that kind of steady power. My own 9-speed bike can't take what I'm dishing out at the pedals, no power assist.

I agree with Chalo. There are riders who are experiencing very accelerated drivetrain wear on their 750W BBS02, when unrestricted and running 1,000W. Chains and sprockets breaking after a short amount of time that have been beaten into submission. In my view, the 1,000W BBSHD (capable of 1500W?) will have the benefit of being able to take 50V X 20A = 1,000W continuous without overheating, even on a fairly hot day.

The benefit of the extra wattage capability (IMHO) is for a fully loaded longtail cargobike on a steep uphill with two bags of groceries and a toddler in the baby seat. A 750W would have to downshift more due to heat, the BBSHD could take the hill in a higher gear and at a higher speed. If you are using your BBS02 or BBSHD to pop wheelies, stock up on sprockets and chains.

Um.....How about a Xiongda 2 speed motor? Low is real powerful and hi is great up to about 21-22 mph with 44 volt lipo.
otherDoc

Does the Bafang BBS-HD 1000W kit drive the cranks? I want to get a way from that.

I M ALSO THINKING HOW EASY IT WOULD BE TO ADD UP THE TOTAL COMBINED WEIGHT TO 450LBS.

SlowCo said:
In your opening post you mentioned 1500W and in this last reply I gather you would like to stay <1000W? Wouldn't the upcoming Bafang BBS-HD 1000W kit be a good solution then?:

this is great.....thanks for the links.

I have been thinking that if there is a way around using a gear box, the secret maybe found in the new controllers as well as new motors? So I hope some one can write an article about how to program the new controllers.

I really like the Lightning rods new high speed high voltage motor. I do not know what it is capable of. and I expect I would need different gears on it.

is this gear box reviewed on endless sphere?

ferret said:
You can try one of these:

http://www.andymark.com/Transmissions-s/202.htm

Avner.

Please tell me more about the Xiongda 2 speed motor, it sounds interesting. does it have two speed and nothing in-between? or is there a trick with the controller going on there, for hill climbing high torque??

docnjoj said:
Um.....How about a Xiongda 2 speed motor? Low is real powerful and hi is great up to about 21-22 mph with 44 volt lipo.
otherDoc

Hugh-Jassman said:
Please tell me more about the Xiongda 2 speed motor, it sounds interesting. does it have two speed and nothing in-between? or is there a trick with the controller going on there, for hill climbing high torque??

docnjoj said:
otherDoc

Have you seen the search box...?
It's in the right hand upper corner. :wink:

The way around an efficiency robbing, reliability reducing, maintenance and weight increasing gearbox is to instead invest that money and weight, is the right size motor and gear it properly. Locomotives driven by electric motors don't have multi-speed gearboxes. Telsa engineers initially thought the same as you and tried to make the Roadster a 2 speed and learned better after wasting millions, so now Tesla's are single speeds. Brammo uses or used them on their consumer emoto's, but more to give potential customers something familiar than out of need as riders generally use just one gear, but their racing emoto is a single speed like all the other electric racers.

Hugh-Jassman said:

Sounds well suited to the example Chalo gave with a 1000W motor yielding maximum power at ~10mph? That should also be legal for you.

Remember that motor controllers are buck converters - at low speeds they trade voltage for current, so can take a modest power (watts) input and convert it to a lot of torque (current) at low speeds.

why is it so hard to find things on this endless sphere?

I found this photo once but not again....

SingleStagetwospeed01.jpg

Hugh-Jassman said:
why is it so hard to find things on this endless sphere?

I found this photo once but not again....

SingleStagetwospeed01.jpg
not a photo...its a rendering.

Back