speed controller for large hxt

I am about to upgrade the motor on my schwinn stealth to a large hxt motor (HXT 80-100-B 130Kv ). I plan to run it at 48 volts but if its fast enough I would like to change to 24 volts for better distance. I cant find a good esc & figured I'd ask for opinions. The closest I could find was the hv castle creations stuff.

I was going to put this in the scooter section but there is more rc stuff going on here

Duffman

My program predicts around 20 mph with that motor with a gear ratio of 4ish at 20 volts with that motor. It also predicts roughly 26 wh/mi. at 20 mph. At 48v, you could expect upto ~36 mph full throttle with a battery current of ~60 amps.

Well if you run it at only 24 volts, you could get away with most decent ESC's because they are usually rated to 30 volts. But if you plan on switching from series to parallel between your batteries you have to get a Castle HV-85 or 110, 'cause those can handle the 48 volts. I think other brands have high voltage ESC's, but most from the rc community say castle. How many amps do you plan on pulling?

I'm going to get the hv-110. I just ordered the motor & willl order the esc tonight. I cant wait. I do hope to be satisfied with it at 24 volts. I will have 34ah so it should go pretty far. I'm not sure about the amp draw though . If this motor is as impresive as I here & is also reliable I will use 2 of them on a dirt bike project soon. That will be fun. I'm thinking about using the SIKK trail bike. Its a super light 125cc american made bike.

here is a link to my projects

http://photobucket.com/duffmanaudio

Duffman

Hi,

John Holmes has the HV110 for $185.

This is part of an email I sent to Castle Tech support:
Matt posted the following:
"I have found the HV110 to be fantastically stable if added capacitors are used on the input side. So, for anyone looking for up to 4,000 watts at 50 volts or less, an HV110 (with input caps added) is the most cost effective choice anyway. It is 1/3 the price of an SHV200."

For a system running at 50 volts or under and roughly 2,000 to 3,000 watts max which do you recommend (SHV series or HV series)?

This is from their reply:
Input voltage, size, switch relays, etc . Totally different controller. It would handle heat better due to the heatsink, and the fact that it's not being pushed anywhere near it limits like the HV110's are. Options, costs, etc the bosses have not figured out yet. An HV110 will handle 2-3kw fine, but you would have to add extra caps as recommended. The ESC is meant to start an airplane motor...not a person on a bike.

So I think you want to add caps as described by Matt.

Thank you very much. I will have the esc before the motor so I can handle that before the motor gets here. I have done this before on 1/8 scale rc esc's. I forget why though. I think it was to make the cars stop cogging.

duffman

Back