Tangent Ascent Charge Cooker Maxi 2.0

FastJohnny

100 W
I just recently completed my Fat Bike build. I went with a Charge Cooker Maxi 2.0 Fatty

KHwYbDjl.jpg

0nQB4UQl.jpg

I also went with Dave's Tangent Ascent with a 3210 Astro flight motor.

I got everything pulled off the bike. (Pedals, Crank, BB, and Front Derailleur)

CIYpbfml.jpg

While waiting for my motor to ship, I went to work on the lighting. I ended up using 2 Ultrafire-UL2 7 Cree LED lights, and a Voltage regulator that can drop pack voltage to 6V to work with the lights. This was the original setup, this regulator is good to about 3A, but I've since found one that can handle 15A that I've swapped in its place.

ilTR7Ppl.jpg

The other issue I had was the cheap rubber band mounts that hold these lights on. On rough singletrack these heavier lights bounce all over the place. I was able to find some flashlight mounts that I took apart and mated to the lights so I could mount them upside down, and much more securely.

yl5EXhyl.jpg

Looks effing cool

xmyWvd4l.jpg

The day my drive unit arrived I was pumped. It showed up on my day off and I got right to work. Everything was going smoothly until I went to put the chain rings on. The wide chainstays and 32T gear presented a problem.

xkOvoWVl.jpg

This changed my 40 minute install into an all day event. I tried spacing the bottom bracket. Which worked, but then I couldn't get the crank on the other side all the way on. I tried a smaller ring, but a 30T narrow wide is thicker (to stop the chain from hitting the adapter arm. This just made problems worse. In the end I remembered my frams is cromolly, and the chain stays have a cross member, so I took a 5LB sledge and massaged the chainstay in.

This is how it looks mounted to the seat tube.

rTgdaMkl.jpg

Here's a good shot of the drive train.

IFnCTPwl.jpg

The bike came with a SRAM 10 speed cassette, and X5 shifter and derailleur. I wanted as much range, and low end torque as possible so I used a 42T wolftooth cog. Its running 34T X 11-42 now.

VtlEhBDl.jpg

I had to mount the speedo pickup to the front brake line to get it close enough to the magnet to work.

uyigSzsl.jpg

And finally a couple finished shots of the build

yfIMtv2h.jpg

Dnph7RLh.jpg

So much YES!
Love it, stoked ya got it in the triangle.
What is the gearing from the motor freewheel to the crank?
Looks like a bigger freewheel than mine...what's the cadence?

although a stealthy position...those lights will suffer in the first crash that spins the bars more than 180 degrees.

Leebolectric said:
So much YES!
Love it, stoked ya got it in the triangle.
What is the gearing from the motor freewheel to the crank?
Looks like a bigger freewheel than mine...what's the cadence?

Ya know man, I didn't count the teeth on it. I think its an 18T, so 18 to 32, and I believe the cadence is 143, but again dont quote me. Dave could probably tell you, but I am at work at the moment. As far as the lights hopefully if they spin and make contact with the frame the $2 clips I used break and not the lights.

I have the stem mount adapter coming for the CA because right now its "mounted" to a tapered part of my bars, I also grabbed a 3 position switch so I can manage power better. I haven't actually ridden the bike more than around the block a couple times, but its going out on Thursday. Hopefully my full face helmet shows up wednesday because Im not comfortable on this thing in a CX helmet.

nice...since you need to use such a small output ring...I'd suggest a much smaller motor freewheel.
The Wolftooth is cool, but i doubt you'll spend much time in it...mine climbs like crazy with a 38x11/36.
Mine has a 18t freewheel and 32t chainring for the pre-drive...and it out-spins my legs VERY easily.
If I had a 14t freewheel...it may match cadence better....i spend all my time in the middle of the cassette on the trail.
Would lower my top speed...but make it more manageable...thoughts :D

Leebolectric said:
nice...since you need to use such a small output ring...I'd suggest a much smaller motor freewheel.
The Wolftooth is cool, but i doubt you'll spend much time in it...mine climbs like crazy with a 38x11/36.
Mine has a 18t freewheel and 32t chainring for the pre-drive...and it out-spins my legs VERY easily.
If I had a 14t freewheel...it may match cadence better....i spend all my time in the middle of the cassette on the trail.
Would lower my top speed...but make it more manageable...thoughts :D

Thats a good idea. The trick is to get as wide of a range on the cassette as possible, and then use the biggest front ring you can that will still let you climb anything. Going to a smaller freewheel will actually increase torque, and reduce top end. You're almost better off using a bigger freewheel and a smaller chain ring because it will improve ground clearance while giving you the same gearing. I have no intention of pedaling along with this thing unless I'm literally crawling through a rock garden, or super technical spot that is easier to balance while pedaling.

***edit - Or if I have to pedal pass someone who may get upset about where Im riding my ebike!

nice...i pedal all the time, habits can't be broken...hehe

I would be attaching the speedo sensor directly to your fork if you can. I've knocked mine into the spokes before, could be an ugly result for your brake line..

Otherwise, lookin really really good, the gearing will be on the lively side of life!

Lurkin said:
I would be attaching the speedo sensor directly to your fork if you can. I've knocked mine into the spokes before, could be an ugly result for your brake line..

Otherwise, lookin really really good, the gearing will be on the lively side of life!

Thanks

There is close to 2 inches between the fork and the spokes. I would have to pad it way out to make that work, and ideally I would like it on the back wheel somewhere. I've got a nice stem mount for the cycle analyst coming today, and I'm going to try to get that set up, and some of the wiring managed before I take the bike out tomorrow. Which brings up a couple questions:

Can the unused connectors be removed, or do they need to be cut off. I know as soon as I start cutting connectors off I'll want to add PAS or something within a month. Is there anyway to power my lights from one of the CA plugs? I need 6-8V, 6A

As far as gearing, that's the same gearing I've been running for months on my BBS-02 trail bike. I actually just got a 32 T ring to fit on that bike the other day, but 34/11-42 gives you tons of low end crawl gears (Sub 10mph at 142RPM), and generally keeps you in the middle of the cassette on flowy singletrack, but also gives you a 37 mph top speed, fully wound out in top gear. One of my concerns was if I geared this bike to go 50 mph... I would go 50 mph on it. It starts to feel sketchy above 30!

Its amazing what some wire management and the right mounts can do to clean things up.

Before pics, wires everywhere, CA clamped off to the side and falling off because the bars taper right there.

N9v5zSbl.jpg
NhcrNA0l.jpg

After, got the mount you guys recommended, and cleaned everything up.

pTYGyaol.jpg
Yizlpj0l.jpg

Also got a 3 position switch to fill in the gap oin the left side between the brake and grip. I have it set to change presets which are set to 15/30/60A

Looking good!
What battery are you using?

I went with this little ProblemSolvers thing to put the CA in front of the bars rather than on top of them...
hb0901.png

DSC_0014.jpg

Ya man thats a clean setup too. Right now my battery was built by my uncle for my BBS-02 setup. Its a 14S6P Samsung 29e pack. Its 58.8V/17AH/17A continuos/48A max, so its way under powered for this bike.

I'm considering a 25R triangle pack using the same cells as your pack. Or even the 20AH PF pack that Luna just came out with, but EM3EV has a pack of Samsung 30Q's that is 28AH, and can sustain over 130A, but they are asking $1000.

Took the bike out for a bit of a test run yesterday or some nice (mostly) smooth singletrack. Running at 30A or 15A in the video because of my weak battery. Ordering a new battery today.

Anyways, wanted to do a quick break in on the bike, and feel it out a bit. Ended up going out there with my uncle who showed up with a single speed. Nothing too crazy, but you can see what type of crawl ratio this thing has in parts of the video.

[youtube]aHeKoP6doHs[/youtube]

Sweet bike! I like it, nice and clean.

I love the tangent drive, so small and compact, and powerful! The only thing that has me hesitant to buy one is the noise..

Phife said:
Sweet bike! I like it, nice and clean.

I love the tangent drive, so small and compact, and powerful! The only thing that has me hesitant to buy one is the noise..

Thanks Man.. This is my second electric mountain bike. I have a pretty serious hardtail build with a BBS-02, and its awesome for mountain biking. I set the pedal assist to 10/20/30% etc and pick one of those modes, and pedal away silently rarely using the throttle. No drama from the other mountain bikers because they usually cant tell Im on an ebike.

But sometimes you just wanna shred... The Tangent shreds... Instant power, instant throttle response, wheelies, back tire spinning shredding. No bottoming out on logs too.
I actually enjoy the sound it makes.

I actually went with one of these batteries today. It had the perfect combination of 70A continuous, 20+ AH, and its a little lighter than the 25R pack.
http://lunacycle.com/batteries/packs/52v/copy-of-triangle-52v-lg-hg2-18650-21ah-pack/

What is the Tangent Ascent like without power? Ie is there much resistance? Could you ride comfortably without a battery connected?

Thereso no resistance. It rides like a regular bike because there is a freewheel on the motor. So when you pedal the motor freewheels and clicks rather than spinning.

Finally got to take the bike out for some singletrack riding yesterday. It was 55F and overcast, and there was mud, water and ice everywhere so I had to hold back a bit. Even though my chain tensioner failed and left me stranded (I didnt have it aligned correctly) I had a great time.

[youtube]2KD2KhO-cQs[/youtube]

Hell Yesssss!
Looks hairy on a full rigid bike.

Leebolectric said:
Hell Yesssss!
Looks hairy on a full rigid bike.

Super Hairy! The Fat Bike def wasn't made to go this fast over singletrack. That location has the smoothest trails around too, its almost a one-off from the rocky rooty stuff we typically see up there

I just realized I've been running 14 psi in the tires. They still have loads of grip, but I'm going to try running somewhere in the 8-10 range for a slightly softer and less intense ride. I'm upgrading to a different mount, and shifter set up tonight. The SRAM X5 shifter has felt sloppy, so I'm going to a full XT set up for crisper shifting (XT shifter, XT shadow tech rear derailleur, and goatlink). Otherwise the gearing feels spot on, 34T up front and 11-42 in the back gives me so much snot in the granny gear it feels like it could climb a vertical wall. I spend most of my time in the middle of my cassette which is perfect. I am looking forward to the XT's double throw shifting to shift up 2 gears at a time through the lower gears for blasting down mainly flat doubletrack. I'm hoping to get another ride in Thursday somewhere if the rain holds off.

Quick edit I made for Vimeo. Everything looks so much clearer on there than on Youtube.

https://vimeo.com/158571470

Clean and nice build. Well done.
Your Tangent sounds like a horny moose in the fall, before wrestling and locking horns :lol:

Hahaha. Ya I came from riding a BBS02 so I'm used to keeping the motor revving high. The Tangent has more grunt in the lower rpms and I'm still getting used to riding it.

Back