Astroflight 60 build turned brushless

mud2005

10 kW
Hi everyone, been busy putting together various parts to see whats going to work best.
I got an astroflight 60 brushed motor the other day and I threw this together because I couldn't wait to try it out.
Didn't go to well though, as soon as I hit the throttle the #25 chain popped off. Turns out I didn't line up the sprockets as well as I thought.
When I went to remove the sprocket and add a spacer I realized I should have taken the time to grind a flat on the shaft cause tightening the set screw
warped the shaft enough that I couldn't remove the pulley or sprocket. oops. :roll:
Oh well, I know now to grind a flat on the shaft (duh) and also I'm going to attach the motor to the frame next time as the rack mount was too flimsy.bike1.jpgbike2.jpg

Hi again, I redesigned and rebuilt my bike (again) and it actually works this time! I ended up with a much smaller and simpler design and it seems to work well but Ive only been able to test it a small amount due to weather and BMS cutting out.
My ping pack is 24V 20AH and cuts out at 40 amps which sounded good when I bought it, but its totally a problem. If it had a delay where if it was drawing 40 amps for x seconds I think it would be fine but it just cuts right out and its easier than I thought it would be to hit 40 amps. also my watts up meter shuts off when it cuts out so I cant see the max amps :roll: I may try auxiliary power for the meter. next on my agenda is making a cover for the motor and pulleys as it rains where I live alot.
heres some pics, please excuse the terrible wiring job its only temporary :)bike3.jpgbike4.jpgbike5.jpgbike6.jpg

stonking effort sir :) what reductions are you using there mud?
im particularly interested in your belt reduction, thats the sort of size pulley that's easily hidden behind a chainring,nice.

Cheers,

D

Nice setup! I especially like the hose clamp motor mount; ingenuity at it's best!!

Where did you get the pulleys and belt from, and how much were they?

Very nice Mud. I like the similicity a lot.
If you're daring enough, you could bypass the BMS completely and hook the cells up directly to your controller for a real performance measurement. :twisted:
How did you end up mounting everything to the shafts? Set screws with flats? How about the bearings?

Thanks all, I took it for a test drive and had some battery cutoff problems and sparks as you can see here: http://www.endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=7871
The motor has a 12T .25 inch bore pulley to a 78T 8mm bore pulley and the #25 chain goes from 12T 8mm bore to the 55T sprocket on the wheel. This gives me 6.5:1 and 4.58:1 and the motor spins ~8000 so I get ~268 rpms or ~20 mph(at least in theory hasn't been tested much) I got the pulleys, belt, 12T sprocket, and shaft from SDP/SI. dont really remember prices, SDP has good website easy to find prices. I ground flats on the shafts with a $5 diamond drill bit from harbor freight, and then tightened set screw, but I havent removed yet and seen how the shafts are holding up. I'll do that after a few test rides. I used 8mm shaft so I could use skateboard bearings. getting the bearings mounted was tricky, tried many things and ended up using a hand reamer to get the bearing holes just the right size so the bearings don't move at all. I got a small break in the weather today and took a quick test ride. It seems to use ~20-25 amps to go ~18-20 mph at 24V but my eyes were watering from the cold and the meter was hard to read :roll: I'll report more soon.
Does anyone leave the watts up meter plugged in while charging the battery? I've been disconnecting mine cause I don't want to fry it, but I'm not sure if it would. I have it wired like this

wattsup.jpg

Hi,

Very nice job on the drive :D

I like Miles idea of further shrinkage with a shorter motor.

thanks, I also like idea of shorter motor. I just got the email today saying my astroflight brushless has been shipped.Its only 2 inches long so should make for a very compact drive :) I wish I had just ordered the brushless in the first place, but oh well. I also ordered a servo controller from astroflight, an HV110 from Castle, an HVBEC from Dimension, some extra caps for the HV110, and the usb link to program controller. 8) good times.

Empty wallet. :mrgreen:

I never thought I would be putting this much money into my bike, but when I start a project I usually get carried away :shock:
It all started when my car started running weird, so I took it to my mechanic and he said blown headgasket and more gonna cost over $1000 and he'll need to keep my car for a week and he can't start the job for 2 weeks. :shock: :shock:
So I pulled out my previously hardly ridden bike and started pedaling the 10 miles each way to work.It sucked, especially after a tough day at work.So here I am spending all my money on my bike :roll: but having a blast building it. My car is fixed now but I still want the electric bike so I dont feel completely dependent on my car. Also gas is gonna go up to $10 in a few years :wink:

Hi,

This is probably a wild idea but maybe you could mount a pair of hard panniers on your bike and put the drive in one with slots or small holes for the chains to exit.

More info here:
http://flickr.com/photos/bike/2259062114/

Cooling might be a problem. Maybe vents near the top would provide some convection cooling.

Maybe some sound absorbent foam. Maybe batteries in the pannier on the left side.

Could be really stealth and water-proof too.

This is probably a wild idea but maybe you could mount a pair of hard panniers on your bike and put the drive in one with slots or small holes for the chains to exit.

actually I'm going to build a cover for the motor but it's going to be custom I'm saving that part for last in the build.

Well, I finally got the new motor mounted and all wired up to the magura. It runs great, much more efficient than with the astro 60. I could cruise at 20mph only drawing ~13 amps w/o pedaling (its 24V) . I'm not sure if that street is totally flat. I'm going to do some more testing tomorrow, but its too cold for much pleasure riding, can't wait for spring. I'm going to do some helmet shopping soon and I'm thinking full face motorcycle helmet, it'll keep the wind and bugs out while keeping my head safer in a crash. The only concerns I have are cost, and looking like a weirdo riding around with a huge helmet on. The plywood battery box is temporary, that's my next project. I'm totally happy with the amount of sound it makes, it's not silent but its very quiet. When I cover the motor it may be close to silent. Also the 20AH battery is a great size not too heavy and a good amount of range for my purposes. I need a new bike light though, that kinda speed at night calls for some light that 2 AA batteries can't put out. :idea:bike1.jpgbike2.jpg

Well done. They're excellent motors and, as you say, pretty quiet.

Might be worth using the screw-holes on the motor's backplate to fix a cover for shielding the rear bearing?

mud2005 said:
I need a new bike light though, that kinda speed at night calls for some light that 2 AA batteries can't put out.

Have you seen these:
http://www.ebike.ca/lights/

I was drooling over that motor on the AF site last night. :shock:

Looks like they're sold out though! :(

What kind of range are you getting out of the bike, and what kind of battery and controller are you using?

Might be worth using the screw-holes on the motor's backplate to fix a cover for shielding the rear bearing?

good idea, I will most likely do that.

Have you seen these:

yes, but I'm wondering if 1 watt is enough light. especially since there is no reflector behind the bulbs.

What kind of range are you getting out of the bike, and what kind of battery and controller are you using?

don't know the full range yet as I'm still breaking in the battery pack, and it's a ping 24V 20AH. I'm using Phoenix HV110 controller. Here's a shot of the controller and other electronics in the 2x3x6 project box I got at radio shack today.
Now I'm looking for a good size plastic box for the battery and the project box to put on the back rack. I found a toolbox that was a good size but not waterproof. Finding a good box is not easy, there's a lot out there but I haven't found the "right one" yet.controller1.jpgcontroller2.jpg

1. What are the small gage wires on the battery connections for?

2. Do you have any concerns that the controller might overheat inside the box during the summer months?

Bubba

mud2005 said:
Have you seen these:

yes, but I'm wondering if 1 watt is enough light. especially since there is no reflector behind the bulbs.
I can't find the exact thread entry where Justin says this, but I remember that he reported that on his Trans-Canada trip he found the 1-watt light more useful than his 10 watt HID light. Have a look at:
http://www.endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=5652&p=84634&hilit=lights#p84634

Perfect application of the caps. I love it!

The HV110 will run nice and cool under 800 watts or so. Anything above that will heat up in that box. If you find heat to be an issue, you can always use an aluminum box to shed some heat.

Looks good overall. I love to see scratch built projects. Glad it is working well for you.

Matt

You should look at Pelican cases - if you're planning on keeping the electronics at temps below the need for air-cooling. They're available in a ton of sizes and are effectively bombproof. :lol:

Back