Getting the best chainline with the bbshd

saucisse

10 mW
Hi Guys!

Currently using the 42t Lekkie bling ring for the bbshd on my Norco Bigfoot 6.2. My chain line is too wavy to be able to use my granny gear. I know I’ve seen some people swapping gears on the rear cassette and spacing to compensate… I’ve took apart my rear cassette and the first 3 or 4 gear are stock together as a sole unit and cannot swap anything. Anyone knows a model of cassette that you can virtually use any gears you want?

Cheers!

Take one or two of the smaller cogs + spacers out (not adjacent ones if taking two out), put cogs + spacers behind the granny gear. Set low limit screw to stop you using the two redundant cogs.

Now you have # gears = orig number of gears - n cogs removed and granny gear is in better alignment.

[
saucisse said:
Hi Guys!
Currently using the 42t Lekkie bling ring for the bbshd on my Norco Bigfoot 6.2. My chain line is too wavy to be able to use my granny gear. I know I’ve seen some people swapping gears on the rear cassette and spacing to compensate… I’ve took apart my rear cassette and the first 3 or 4 gear are stock together as a sole unit and cannot swap anything. Anyone knows a model of cassette that you can virtually use any gears you want?
Cheers!

Were you unable to use the Luna Eclipse chainring? It has 25mm of inset compared to the Lekkie which has 11mm of inset. You could always use a spacer with the Eclipse if it were needing to be further away from the chainstay.

Or just cut your Bottom Bracket down a bit...

image_4222.png

Sorry amigafan2003 I'm not sure how I can to this since the gears are riveted to the cassette.

If you have some pics or a link I can see how it is done... sorry, total noob on these since this is my first build.

g725s the Luna Eclipse won't fit on my bike since the Lekkie is like 1mm from touching the chainstay tube or whatever it is called.

My only option is to play with the rear cassette :?

Do you absolutely need a granny gear?

With my 8 spd cassette I only use the middle ranges so I merely adjust the limit screws to avoid the lowest and tallest cogs.

saucisse said:
Hi Guys!

Cheers!

prVTyQG.jpg

here's mine. granny was brought outboard 2 clicks. chainline pretty good now. get a low-end cassette without spiders

This is what I intend to do to my bike. As it is now, the granny gear is too far out of line to be usable even with an offset chainwheel. Moving the cogs around as you did would be a win/win since I never use the two smallest cogs anyway! Did you need to get a longer screw for the derailleur?

Purchase individual gears. I'm running 11-17-28 with 8-speed spacing. Only have BBS02, so not as powerful but combination of straight chainline and IMO stronger 8-speed chain is wearing well. It's possible to procure a 36 cassette gear too (haven't tried any of the "monsters" yet.

Looks good overclocker. What do you mean by cassette without spiders?

WoodlandHills said:
This is what I intend to do to my bike. As it is now, the granny gear is too far out of line to be usable even with an offset chainwheel. Moving the cogs around as you did would be a win/win since I never use the two smallest cogs anyway! Did you need to get a longer screw for the derailleur?

stock limit screws

Ykick said:

no aluminum carriers aka spider. just plain individual cogs like the CS-HG300 9spd 12 to 36t. these BBS drives are geared too tall so you want the biggest cogs. i'll be building a 42t soon

Overclocker said:
Ykick said:

no aluminum carriers aka spider. just plain individual cogs like the CS-H300 9spd 12 to 36t. these BBS drives are geared too tall so you want the biggest cogs. i'll be building a 42t soon

Thanks buddy!

Totally agree on the gearing BBS02. 20" bike 'started with 48T front ring and it was not good.

42T made tremendous difference and I would go for 36-38T if I could find something affordable and maintain the current chain line.

saucisse said:
Sorry amigafan2003 I'm not sure how I can to this since the gears are riveted to the cassette.

If you have some pics or a link I can see how it is done... sorry, total noob on these since this is my first build.

See post by overclocker

https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=84097#p1231401

Overclocker said:
Ykick said:

no aluminum carriers aka spider. just plain individual cogs like the CS-HG300 9spd 12 to 36t. these BBS drives are geared too tall so you want the biggest cogs. i'll be building a 42t soon

Any idea which derailleur will work well with a 42t?

StinkyGoalieGuy said:
Overclocker said:
Ykick said:

9UNdgOe.jpg

good question. here's my other bike w/ 1x9 drivetrain. 42t granny on a custom cassette. 34t narrow-wide chainring. derailleur is a pre-Shadow Alivio which only comes in long-cage so i transplanted the short cage from a Shimano Sora. apparently you need a short cage to make this work

lots of 11-speed derailleurs have been specifically designed for large cogs

for 10spd and below you may try using GoatLink or RoadLink which effectively lowers the mounting point of the derailleur. or build a custom longer derailleur hanger to accomplish the same

I use a SRAM X9 Type 2.1 long cage 10-speed with my 42T, and it works perfectly. The "Type 2.1" is important. I chose that rear derailleur specifically for use with the Wolftooth 42T. Do not get a Shimano rear derailleur if you have a 10-speed. The Goatlink is just a bandaid that doesn't really fix all the problems. All it does is move the derailleur farther away which will make the shifting suffer. If you want to fix the problem, you need a RADr cage, and at that price, you might as well buy a SRAM.

http://www.oneupcomponents.com/products/radr-cage

If I were doing this now, I'd get a Shimano 11-46 setup.

StinkyGoalieGuy said:

Low end cassettes are usually the ones that come riveted together. You could just cut it apart though.

You could use these instructions (half way down the page) to take apart a cassette.

http://www.oneupcomponents.com/pages/slx-1080

Overclocker said:
... get a low-end cassette without spiders

robocam said:
I use a SRAM X9 Type 2.1 long cage 10-speed with my 42T, and it works perfectly. The "Type 2.1" is important. I chose that rear derailleur specifically for use with the Wolftooth 42T. Do not get a Shimano rear derailleur if you have a 10-speed. The Goatlink is just a bandaid that doesn't really fix all the problems. All it does is move the derailleur farther away which will make the shifting suffer. If you want to fix the problem, you need a RADr cage, and at that price, you might as well buy a SRAM.

http://www.oneupcomponents.com/products/radr-cage

If I were doing this now, I'd get a Shimano 11-46 setup.

StinkyGoalieGuy said:

I have the 11-46 and I was able to take the second smallest cog out and mount it against the hub to move the granny away from the hub and closer into alignment with the 42t Lekkie chainwheel. Before it kept jumping into the next higher gear under heavy load due to the cross pull of the misaligned chain, now it's dead silent and shifts like a dream into all the other gears plus it never jumps out of gear anymore. This was a win-win change with no downside AFAIK... :lol:

Thanks to everyone for the inputs and Overclocker for the cassette model. I did find locally a CS-H300 9spd 12 to 36t so I was able to mix it with my existing cassette and space using 3 gears behind my granny 42t gear! Works like a charm now! Chain line is still a bit off but so far so good, no weird sound or bad behavior for the moment.

Attachments

• gear2.jpg
    gear2.jpg
    148.3 KB · Views: 4,133
  • gear1.jpg
    gear1.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 4,684
Sorry for the late reply. I have an X9 derailleur and a single X7 shifter. The cassette is one I bought from Treefort Bikes online for about $60 IIRC and is an 11-42, not an 11-46. My mistake!

I tried to put the 11t cog in back, but it is different from the others in that it has a small lip on it for alignment. So I put the next smallest there instead. I only ride it off-road and honestly, since I broke my collarbone last spring, I've kept the speeds down around 25mph maximum, so I don't ever use the top three anyway.

saucisse said:
Thanks to everyone for the inputs and Overclocker for the cassette model. I did find locally a CS-H300 9spd 12 to 36t so I was able to mix it with my existing cassette and space using 3 gears behind my granny 42t gear! Works like a charm now! Chain line is still a bit off but so far so good, no weird sound or bad behavior for the moment.

eglbcQW.jpg

pls tell us more about this 42t. aluminum?

how well is it holding up w/ the bbshd

I recently put a Luna Eclipse chainring on and it is a 42t. I wonder if I need to shorten my chain. If I follow the rule of thumb that says to take all of the slack out of the chain without using the derailleur and then add two links I am long by at least 7 links. In the highest gear my derailleur is straight up and down as in the pic. Does this look ok? My chain is not falling off so that is good.

IMG_0208[1].jpg

It is aluminum. My local bike shop intalled it like 2 or 3 years ago and its been great since then and so far it is a torq monster with no issue. I'll try to get a picture of the other side showing which brand/model it is.

Overclocker said:
pls tell us more about this 42t. aluminum?

how well is it holding up w/ the bbshd

Back