controller for Cyclone kit

tifalou

100 mW
Hi everybody,
Considering that the Cyclone external controller is expensive and very big, I am planning to buy a 1200W Cyclone kit without the controller.
Do you think that I could use a controller from another brand ?
Cyclone told me that it must have 120 degree Hall effect sensors, and someone else think that the motor will need a high current, so a controller with less than 40A would burn.
What is your opinion ?
Thanks.

i smoked the fets on my controller (650W motor) pulling around 35 amps continuous. apparently it overheated because i cut off the sides and top (left the base heatsink with the pcb and fets) and stuck it in an unvented bag. i had the controller repaired and added four tiny 5v fans. so far no problems. however even before i smoked the controller, it was shutting down frequently under fairly light load. i think it had something to do with the back emf. i'd suggest you get a better controller. i suspect the headline ones that come with cyclone are not very tolerant at higher gearing.

So, I suppose that a 48v 25A controller from Goldenmotor wouldn't be sufficient. Is there another cheap option ?

tifalou said:
So, I suppose that a 48v 25A controller from Goldenmotor wouldn't be sufficient. Is there another cheap option ?
The Infinion from Knuckles is a great controller, if you haven't checked it out, I suggest you do (look at the sales section).

good news most hub motors and controllers are 120 deg. that means you could use Crystalyte, infineon, ecrazyman, etc.

you just may need to figure out the correct combination of wires for it to work right.

rick

Thank you for your replies.
Which one determines the current drawn : motor or controller ? I mean, if the motor needs 50 amp on a hill, will the 30 A controller smoke, or will it deliver its current with no problem except a lack of power ? (sorry for my English)

The motor determines how much current can be drawn, and the controller will provide what it can. With the infinion, you have a current limit, which means it will not provide more current than the controller is rated for. That will stop the controller from destroying it self. A controller that doesn't limit current, will try to provide what is asked by the motor until it blows up. When a controller is limiting current to less than the motor is asking for, the motor will stop accelerating.

http://www.kellycontroller.com/mot/Brushless-DC-Motor-Controller.html

Nuff Said.. ;)

AussieJester said:
http://www.kellycontroller.com/mot/Brushless-DC-Motor-Controller.html

Nuff Said.. ;)
Look at the price difference between a kelly controller, and the infinion. The kelly controller limits current on the motor side, so the actual power going to the motor with a 50a limit would be much less than an infinion with a 45a battery side limit.

Back