is there any way to fit a Grin Phaserunner inside a BBSHD?

TorEddy

100 W
If you look at the size of the Grin phaserunner controller and the empty BBSHD controller enclosure, it looks like the grin controller components would fit inside there..
If you could make a custom pcb for the phaserunner, and make it fit inside the BBSHD..
Even better, Grin make a BBSHD version of the phaserunner..
That would make the Bafang BBSHD a very attractive middrive..

Is it even possible?

Tord

Even if you take everything out of the BBSHD controller housing, the Phaserunner will not fit inside it. This is due to the shape of the Phaserunner.

Yes I know it will not fit as it is.
I was thinking more like placing the phaserunners electrical components on a new custom designed circuit board that would fit inside the BBSHD.
I know some people at ES is thinking likewise, but then to increase the amps.

I might just be dreaming, but I have a feeling we're closing in on the holy grail of e-mtb.
With the work 'evolutiongts' has done with running external controllers on the bbshd, and the evolution of new Jumbo battery packs, enabling 4p @ higher voltages like 60, 66 or 72 volts, things are finally coming together.

The bafang displays is pretty useless @ any voltage, so being able to plug in a CA3 into the custom PhaserunnerBBSHD would be great.

With a setup like this, one would only need to plug a CA3 and a Jumbo Shark Pack into the BBSHD, and you would have a very stealthy and capable e-bike (->2500w).
Running high amperage (torque) or high voltage (speed) to suit whatever riding one prefer..

I suppose you could ask to buy an un-potted Phaserunner, and then re-arrange the components to be more fittable in the allotted space. I imagine you'd also have to cut out the center of the stock controller housing and add a fiberglass extension to add a little more room. I have no interest in doing this, but...you could be the first if you like.

That are two great ideas spinningmagnets..
There would be space to extend the controller enclosure to make room for the components..
Might be a good idea to check with Grin Technologies though. Not entirely sure they like people messing with their electronics.

Why not just design a larger 3-D printed housing? Then you could fit whatever you wanted under there....

For that matter, the OEM part is alloy, just buy a spare from Luna for $99, gut it, cut the end off like a lid and add an extension from alloy sheet to make it as wide as you can and weld the lid back on. It could then be TIG welded together since it's just a dirt and waterproof cover and not stressed. Cheap, ugly and effective.....

I don't think 3d plastic would have good heat dissipation.

For stealth, I am going to try putting my Phaserunner in a bag. Grin advises that when you enclose the Phaserunner, you must add a heat sink. I haven't tried it yet.

Nice find on that nudie pic sather.. newer saw it before.

Maybe if one could extend the wires of the FET's and capacitors, it might be able to fit inside. Don't know if that presents any new problems?
The circuit boards looks to be approx 80 mm long.
If the FET's could be attached to the aluminum housing like the original controller, it might just fit :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

starting.jpg

bbshd-1000w-1-11-1024x683.jpg

controller.jpg

PhaserunnerBanner.jpg

Couldn't find a empty controller enclosure picture..

It might be easier to hide it somewhere else on bike then go through this. Maybe like under the seat (just thought of that) or in front of rear tire.

it would be amazing if you could do it and definitely worth the effort, the stealthiness and cleanliness of having a controller mounted on the drive unit cannot be overstated, having a controller mounted anywhere else means long cable runs and a big box is a dead giveaway illegal home made overpowered bike... but not sure how u will fit it in their

Totally agree Alex07..

One would need both a Grin Phaserunner and a extra BBSHD controller to find out.
To be 100% sure it fits, you would need to "destroy" both controllers.
It would be a costly experience if it didn't work out...

Why not contact Luna and see if they will sell you a dead BBSHD controller? I know they have one of mine with an internal fault that was warranty exchanged and I am sure there have been a few more replaced since then. All you want is the metal shell for experimentation........ :idea:

I got a used, not working one from them for $25. I hollowed it out and that's where I plan to put all my connections when I upgrade to my Kelly controller.

This an interesting idea to me. One that I would not personally undertake, but have a keen interest in seeing it done.

You could get one from Grin that is not potted, saving you and them some money and time. Then, edit the PCB or create your own such that it would fit.

Well, just shipping a thumb throttle from luna to Europe is 116$
I don't know what they're thinking..

Grin have no proplems selling me a unwarranted, unpotted Phaserunner.

Tord

TorEddy said:
Well, just shipping a thumb throttle from luna to Europe is 116$
I don't know what they're thinking..

Grin have no proplems selling me a unwarranted, unpotted Phaserunner.

Tord
That sounds like a big BS. I just checked. Shipping up to 8 ounces package to Norway by USPS with tracking is $32 and without is $13.
Maybe they ship to you by overnight FedEx or a private courier. On the other hand Toyota Corolla in Norway is about $35K. So $116 for a throttle including shipping sound reasonable. :roll:

Hahaha... True about the Corolla, but the 116$ was shipping only!!!
Emailed Luna and they agreed it seemed pricey and would test the system.
Shipping costs are auto generated..

Shipping methods @ lunas checkout for bafang display, throttle and BB tool:

DHL Express $30.00
USPS First Class (Not Insured) $35.00
USPS Priority $55.00
UPS® (Worldwide Expedited) $115.98
UPS® (Worldwide Express) $135.60

TorEddy said:

DHL Express $30.00
USPS Priority $55.00
Something is terribly wrong with there system and because of that they losing business. Either they don't pay attention or don't care.

Just got an email from Luna saying I can choose between all the shipping options for shipping to Norway, not only the Worldwide Expedited options.

That explains a lot!

I reckon a 3d printed overcap would still do the job.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TorEddy said:
Just got an email from Luna saying I can choose between all the shipping options for shipping to Norway, not only the Worldwide Expedited options.

That explains a lot!
Thanks God for that.

I reckon a 3d printed overcap would still do the job.

I agree.. One would attach the FET's to the motor housing anyways, not the cover.

Soooo.. we now know that we can buy an unpotted Phaserunner and a used defective BBSHD controller from Luna.

What we don't know if it is possible to extend the wires of the FET's and the capacitors without any electrical interference.

What would be great is if somebody with both a BBSHD and a Phaserunner could do a comparison of the two and see if they think it would fit... Cough... evolutiongts

I'm just finishing my bike for 52v, but I have a plan for the future, to fit a phaserunner and 24 extra GA cells to run @ 74V 4p.

Not to get off topic but is the Phaserunner the best controller to go with if you are going to increase the amperage to a BBSHD? If it is, why? My dealings with the guys at Grin have been great and I am impressed with their knowledge so I am not going to argue...just tring to understand the options.

I do like the way you guys think...moving the Phaserunner inside the BBSHD housing would make it a very clean and visually attractive mod.

Any guidance and/or knowledge on the Phaserunner advantages and/or disadvantages would be appreciated since I am a little lacking when it comes to electronics knowledge.

Thanks

TorEddy said:

DHL Express $30.00
USPS Priority $55.00
When I was a young teenager the closest thing we had to a LBS was the Western Auto store. That is where we went for anything we wanted for our bicycles. Those days are gone and so are all the Western Auto stores.

Back