motor dilemma

mechanix

100 W
After a lot of research, I've decided to scrap my plans for a dual motor setup because of it's lack of efficiency. So I need the help and advice of all you guys in deciding what motor to use for my setup. My goal is to be able to cruise at 30-35 mph and still be able to climb hills at >20 mph. I currently have two turnigy 6364 motors

http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=7710

and am using a golden eagle pulley system

http://www.bikeengines.com/

With the motors KV of 230, the gear reduction gives the system a no load speed of about 37 mph at 36V. I already have everything ready to strap in a motor with a kv of about 250 but I'm afraid that my motor right now is underpowered for what I need it for. would I be better off just biting the bullet and getting an axi 5345?

http://www.hobby-lobby.com/brushless-axi5345.htm

What are your recommendations for the perfect motor? (preferrably less than $200)

Joel

mechanix
Wow, I'm really surprised that you say a motor with max 3kW would be underpowered. Is the Axi much more powerful?

Can you get the speed you want with a minor change to your gearing?

Do you already have your battery setup, as a few more volts would probably also get you there.

Are you using the swbluto simulator to try some combinations, I find it a fantastic tool.

Its a shame about the dual-motor system going by the wayside, that sounded pretty exciting.

Hi Joel;

It would seem to me that you have all the nessary parts on hand- my idea was to use a 600~ watt or so brushless motor in parrell with a smaller brush motor for the hills- I am only looking at a 20mph max speed that the bushless would deliver for level road riding, with the brushed motor on a freewheel cut in to assist to a max out on the hills at 10~mph. Most of the steep hills around here are not very long (200 to 500ft long) that require 1200++ watts. So you are only wasting excess energy on the hills from the 2nd motor.

Jim

Greg (Earthnet64) is using that same sprocket ring successfully with a much smaller motor at only 24 volts. He claims cruising (with pedal) at 30mph and hill climb at 20. It seems with one of your motors you should be able to put a larger sprocket than him on the motor and still get more speed. Granted, he is riding a recumbent with much lower wind drag, but if I recall he is running less than 1500 watts. There is a link to his build in the waterproofing thread.

As for motor selection, I am eyeballing the scorpions (again, Greg has been happy with his), Hacker, or if you double your motor fund get that Astroflight 3010 inrunner that Gary and D are gonna use. I wish Cncaddict would get his priorities straight (jus kidding) and build us some motors, his prices seemed very competitive. I think you want a motor with the shaft fairly large (8-12mm) and designed to either be supported on the other side of your pulley, or come out the rear to support it there too.

thanks for all the replys guys. I guess I needed confirmation that I didn't, yet again, buy a little less than I needed to make things more expensive in the long run. I'll go ahead and try it out and let you know the results.

Back