Ride reporrt: was: BBS02, what spares would you carry?

AF7JA

100 W
Having gone on a, successful, three day test ride, I am getting ready for a much longer trip (Kansas to Utah). What spares would you carry?

Of course there is the obvious:
Tyre patches and cement
tyre tools
Standard multi tool
bbs02 wrench
Chain tool and a few spare pieces of chain (and channel locks)

. . . what else?
Heavy_Tour_load.jpg

chvidgov.bc.ca said:
Spoke wrench and spare spokes. And cluster or freewheel remover if rear spoke broken. Often need to remove freewheel or freehub to replace spoke.

A couple of spokes isn't a bad idea, as you can see, I have some pretty odd sized wheels. As far as the rear cluster, I am using a Nuvinci 380. I find with the BBS02 that I am using the gears to control the speed and with the PAS there was a lot of banging and clanging when I changed gears. This is my third Nuvinci I am pretty happy with them (the other two are going strong, just on different bikes).

I will double check my spoke wrenches to insure that I have wrenches for all the different size nipples.

For that distance I'd want a couple of spare gear/brake cables and probably a spare derailleur and hanger. It's not like they are heavy or take up much room. I've been in the position where my rear hanger has snapped twice and I've had to bodge the chain shorter to make it act like a single speed in order to get home.

I don’t see a big need for spokes here or even cables if they're in nearly new condition but definitely a chain wear tool and probably a spare chain. Change the chain at the 1st sign of wear.

Do you have a temp sensor inside your BBS02? They simply don’t have the temperature headroom of the HD and that looks like quite a load to pull around? TBH, I’d probably bring along a spare BBS02 controller….

5 tires, a small electric air compressor might be nice?

Ykick said:
I don’t see a big need for spokes here or even cables if they're in nearly new condition but definitely a chain wear tool and probably a spare chain. Change the chain at the 1st sign of wear.

Do you have a temp sensor inside your BBS02? They simply don’t have the temperature headroom of the HD and that looks like quite a load to pull around? TBH, I’d probably bring along a spare BBS02 controller….

5 tires, a small electric air compressor might be nice?

I wrote Luna Cycles, they also recommended a spare controller; so I ordered one.

I am not packing a spare chain; however, I have several short lengths of chain and a chain tool.

As far as the load, yes, it is a big load; but the motor draw is normally in the 150-250 watt range. I am going about 11-13mph, which is a reasonable speed for a bicycle. Running at high power would leave me pulling more than I am feeding to the battery. That is fine for short distances (20 miles or so); however, it cannot be sustained.

Sounds like an amazing experience!

Is that a solar panel on top of the bike? How were you going to charge, hotel? I would also run tubeless if you're not already with some tire plugs just in case (along with a few tubes just to be safe). OR at the very least, dump some Stans NoTubes sealant into your tubes. That will help tremendously! Maybe a satelite phone or something that you can get in contact with the outside world if there isn't any cell coverage? Sorry, just spitting ideas out for ya...I'll add more if i can think of anything other than the obvious.

Install a temperature sensor inside the controller and keep it below 135F.
https://electricbike-blog.com/2015/06/07/installing-a-temperature-sensor-in-the-bbs02-unit/
The motor armature section gets much hotter than this and may melt the nylon gear. Always keep the motor RPMS up. Start from a stop in low gear and shift into a higher gear as you gain speed. Don't start from a stop in high gear, especially when the motor is hot.

Be sure the gears have adequate grease. Some units have been shipped from the factory with little or no grease.
Allen wrenches for every size on the bike
Also, I would carry a spare throttle.

m4k3r said:
Sounds like an amazing experience!

Is that a solar panel on top of the bike? How were you going to charge, hotel?

On my test run (3 days, about 280 miles) I never had any need to plug it in. Solar charging *only* is my current plan. Since I installed the panels I have never plugged it in.

sather said:
Install a temperature sensor inside the controller and keep it below 135F.
https://electricbike-blog.com/2015/06/07/installing-a-temperature-sensor-in-the-bbs02-unit/
The motor armature section gets much hotter than this and may melt the nylon gear. Always keep the motor RPMS up. Start from a stop in low gear and shift into a higher gear as you gain speed. Don't start from a stop in high gear, especially when the motor is hot.

Be sure the gears have adequate grease. Some units have been shipped from the factory with little or no grease.
Allen wrenches for every size on the bike
Also, I would carry a spare throttle.

Right after I got the Ba-fang I opened it and put white grease on the white gears and molly grease on the black gears. The temperature sensor is an interesting idea that I may do later. I am getting close enough to departure that I want to limit the number of major changes I make (the ole' The more you do, the more you can do wrong). Opening the motor has major screw-up potential.

Definitely have a selection of allen wrenches with me and I have the throttle in the bottom of my ortlib bag. I have never used it, but I always want the option.

As far as motor heat, it has always been a concern, due to the warnings here; but the motor has never felt hot to the touch. I think that I am keeping the power down so low (always in PAS level one) is part of the reason I haven't had heat issues. However, the temp sensor remains interesting and I will probably add it at some point.

For whatever lock you use to secure the bike... a spare key. Carried separately from your primary key. From personal experience... if you have just one key and you lose it you can be stranded pretty good :oops:

Nice bike, have fun!

If you're only pulling 200-300W continuous thermal issues shouldn't be a problem.

Be aware where drain/vent holes exist in your BBS02. Depending on many things, water can find it's way inside and might not drain back out?

I've lost a BBS02 controller to a strong stream of water kicked up by front wheel that managed to find it's way inside and short a couple FETs. You wouldn't have that issue from front wheels but I can see the BBS02 is mounted out in front and it might be a good idea to note where those holes are in the housing.

On the older 02 they're cast into 2 of 3 screw holes which attach the controller to the motor.

Well, I have now made it to Fairplay CO you can find a bit more of a play by play here https://ridewithgps.com/users/132001

I have not plugged in once. However, on approach to Gufrey CO I had the batteries shut off on me. I parked in a sunny spot for a while and, appropiately, grumped. After about a half hour it was ready to go to the bunkhouse (where they gave me free beer !!!). After I returned from breakfast the next morning I was back over 50V.

Things that have failed: In a construction detour I bent a tie rod. i didn't notice it and just thought the crown in the road was unusually bad. Then i realized I could see the core of the tyre. Fortunately, I was near Garden City KS, where the Dicks actually had my tyre size, and eyeball alligened the front and and put on the new tyres.

I also had a problem with chains. I have always had a problem with chains on this recumbent; and, oddly enough, the recumbent I had in China. I was going up a grade West of Pueblo CO and th echan broke. My wife tells me that the live feed said I was pulling 13%. Well, I fixed the chain, and it broke again, then I fixed it again . . . and it broke again. . . all on the same grade

At that point I turned around and went back to Pueblo, costing me a day. I went to a bike shop, and, because I am running a Nuvinci, I asked for the strongest single speed chain they had (rellya, three of them, after all, it is a recumbent). They had a chain where the rivets come out of the side plates by about a half a millimeter. I had to modify some parts to make it work; but, so far no more no chain breakages.

Copied from my post at Bike forums:
As many of you know, I have been building an e-bike with solar panels. I went on a three day test run a few months ago. At this point I am now one week in on a run from Kansas to Utah.

So far I haven't plugged in at all. I am currently in Fairplay CO and I have two big passes in front of me; but they are not too much different than some I have already climbed. I can definitely see some things I would do differently if this were to be repeated; but then that is to be expected. A person who sees nothing to change hasn't learned anything.
First, sorry for starting and then dropping off the face of the earth. .. I was on a tour.

In my case you will notice that I was entirely overloaded. I was not just bike touring. I work in Kansas and live in Salt Lake. As such, I am carrying stuff for my summer, not just cycle touring.

I left where I work and rode a couple hundred miles, basically north, where I intersected with the American Bicycle Association route and followed Route 7 to Pueblo and Route 6 through the Rockies, over Hooser Pass, until got to Kremmling, CO.

large.jpg

elevation 11,539 feet

At Kremmling I turned West at 40, off the Cycle Assocation Map, and went over Rabbit Ears Summit. I thee rode into Steamboat Springs, CO and on to Craig CO.
large.jpg

In general, I rode about eighty miles per day. Unfortunately, due to family issues, I needed to shut the vacation a bit short. In Craig CO I rented a van and drove the rest of the way to Salt Lake. So, I was out for a full eleven days and no, I never plugged in at all.
The Bike:
I wrote about the bike in this build thread. On High sun I was charging at a max of about 400W. Under Normal daytime conditions, I was charging about 275 - 350 W. I tried to keep the voltages close to 50V; but in the Rockies that wasn't possible.

The only time It shut off was on a cloudy climb to Gruffey CO. I had to find a sunny spot and park and read for about a half hour (I was almost to my stop for the night).
large.jpg

this really was the ACA recommended Bike Hostel. It turned out to be a great place.

Obviously, I did a lot of climbing. The electrics did fine. I would have liked more solar collection. As far as the core trike, a Performer Trike-e (the "e" does not signify electric, it is just a name), it was not up to the trip.

I was never able to get the alignment worked out. That is partly on me; but they should have written some instructions for getting it right (yes, I researched it and tried the many differing methods online).

On day one I hit a horrid road cut in a construction detour. I thought the trike was just reacting to a steep crown; but it was pulling strongly to the right.

I then realized that I had shredded the right tyre and I could see the core. That was where I realized the the road bump had resulted in a bent tie-rod.

I did an eyeball adjustment and continued to Garden City KS. There I went to Dicks and they happended to have four tyres of the size I needed, but a larger width; I bought all four and tossed the spares in the trailer(a much improved ride). While changing the tyres I also found a piece of wood that fit perfectly for propping the trike up while changing tyres. I also threw that in the trailer for the duration.

The next breakage was a seat support. All I was able to do was apply epoxy and duct tape, tighten everything up real tight and continue on.

The next breakage was out if Pueblo CO. It was the first real grade. According to ride with GPS, it maxed at 12.9%. The chain broke. I patched it and it broke again. I patched it and it broke again.

At that point I returned to Pueblo. I went to a bike shop that I had visited the previous day. On that day I wanted a larger rear gear for my NuVinci; but they didn't have one. This time I asked for a heavy duty chain.

They had one where the pins extend slightly past the side plates. It would have been unusable in a multi-gear system; but with the NuVinci It worked fine. I did spend about the next hour making adjustments so the trike could run that type of chain (the adjustments primarily consisted of removing various guides).

Other than those changes, my next real gripe was just that the brakes were barely up to the task on the long descents.

If I were to start with the same idea I would have used a KMX trike. The square tubing would have worked better for attaching the solar panels. I also think the direct steering would have been better for keeping the alignment true.

The NuVinci transmission, bafang drive, and solar bits worked fine.

"I was out for a full eleven days and no, I never plugged in at all."

That is pretty terrific! Sounds like it was a fun adventure, despite a few mechanical problems, and you could work around each of them.
For something as cutting edge as a solar-powered long-distance rig, not surprising to have a few crop up on the road, and they are basically a guide to what to do differently next time around. I've never taken a multi-day bike tour where I didn't have a list of "should fix this, should change that" issues by time I got home.

Hope whatever family issues cut the planned trip a little short worked out ok.

You going to ride back from Utah to Kansas at end of summer?

Back